PDA

View Full Version : Training structures....The macro view

William
12-15-2004, 05:21 AM
How have your training structures changed over the years? I'm not asking about micro details of each training element (not yet), but in the more general sense.

Really, I haven't changed my basic training structure for cycling too much since my college racing days. I train smarter and listen to my body more then I did then, that's for certain (my wife hates it when I say that :rolleyes: ).

Basic Structure:

Monday: Rest/easy spin
Tuesday: Sprint training
Wednesday: Hills
Thursday: Long distance
Friday: Easy spin
Saturday: Race/ med distance
Sunday: Race/ Long distance

Again, the micro details change depending on where in the season I am. I'll add a rest day if I feel I need it. But that is the basic structure. Pretty much even when I'm not racing.

William :)

Tom
12-15-2004, 06:44 AM
Lift weights now, hadn't in 20 years.

Go easy every once in a while. Never used to and either burnt out, overtrained or got hurt and tried to work though it and got hurt worse.

Ozz
12-15-2004, 08:25 AM
This means I usually get plenty of "rest days"! :(

Typically, I will go to the gym during the week for weights or spin classes. Occasionally, I can commute to work during the week.

Weekends are for long rides...if I am lucky, I can get in two rides (one long (30 - 70 miles), one short (20 - 30 miles).

Two young kids, an office job, large yard....you'll know the story.....

Andreu
12-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Not very good with disciplined stuff.

Resting at the minute but normally in a good week (when I have listened to my body and there are now strange sounds emanating from it) I would generally plan on:

Monday: Zip, zero, nada.
Tuesday: Train.
Wed: Train if not raced at w/end but specific stuff like sprint or hill - short sharp stuff. Or easy spin if not feeling up to it.
Thur: Train or race.
Fri: Easy spin.
Sat: Race or long/Med or rest.
Sun: Long/Med or race.

A :beer:

William
12-16-2004, 06:08 AM
Yeah, I hear you. :)
There are many times that I can't stick to the plan exactly due to family and work comitments, but I try to stick to it as much as possible. I also have no problem taking rest days. I've noticed that in recent years my strength and endurance is still up there, but I take a little longer to recover then I used to. Learning to play it smart and listening to the body is key.

William