PDA

View Full Version : Battenkill race route road report

BumbleBeeDave
03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I spent this afternoon driving the route for the Tour of the Battenkill. The Serotta "recon ride" advertised in the forum banner is two weeks from today, and I wanted to familiarize myself with the new race route for that and for race day when I will be photographing the race. My moto driver Evan went along with me.

This new route is, if anything, tougher than the old route! . . . :eek:

In previous years it was a 57 mile loop with an extra 25 mile section for the cat 1/2's. This year the extra cat 1/2 section remains, but the old 57 mile loop has been lengthened to 62 miles and re-worked. Everyone will ride that on Saturday and the pro's will ride two laps of it on Sunday for a 124 mile total.

The race now starts in Cambridge--a larger town with more facilities--and much of the route that is re-used from last year is now raced in the opposite direction. An exception is the unpaved section on Juniper Swamp Road, with it's tough climb. But to keep it in the route, the route has been turned into a series of switchbacks in the hills near that road and the first section of the race is now significantly harder IMHO.

I am planning on trying the recon ride in two weeks, but at this early point in the season I'm also going to keep a couple of bailout short-cuts in mind. Let me know if you want to know them, as I don't know if there's a sag wagon for this recon ride. No matter how much of it you intend to do, though, make sure you take at least two extra tubes and plenty of CO2 for those dirt sections!

Course maps are at . . . http://www.tourofthebattenkill.com/Maps.html

BBD

PhatMatt
03-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the report(s). I'm racing it for the first time this year and am excited. Am I crazy to kind of be hoping for bad weather?

BumbleBeeDave
03-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the report(s). I'm racing it for the first time this year and am excited. Am I crazy to kind of be hoping for bad weather?

Last year is was 80 degrees and dry on race day and many people were caught out by the unexpected warm temps, early season lack of form, lack of sufficient water--or all three. Check out my pics and you can see it was pretty dusty . . .

http://www.pbase.com/bumblebeedave/battenkilltour04192008

Your best bet is going to be 50's or 60's with dry but not dusty roads. Many of the dirt sections today were VERY mushy and rutted. But with some time to dry out most, if not all will be good hardpack. If it's still wet you're going to have some real problems because everyone uses street tires, not cross, because the cross will help you get through the dirt sections, but then you get dropped like a stone on the paved sections. There's a communal wheel wagon for each category class but if you don't happen to be with the main pack and flat, you're in trouble.

Bring a spare set of wheels for the wagon, and several spare tubes and plenty of Co2 in case you have to fix your own. From what I saw today Mountain Road on the southwest side of the course looks the worst. While it was dry, the gravel is large gauge with plenty of rocks 1/2" or so and no visibly worn car tire paths like on the other roads. Looks like they may have graded it recently. There's going to be no avoiding hitting plenty of those larger stones.

BBD

johnmdesigner
03-23-2009, 07:44 AM
I am also riding the Recon ride. The bail out routes would be welcomed. :D

John

CNY rider
03-23-2009, 08:04 AM
I am also riding the Recon ride. The bail out routes would be welcomed. :D

John

Agree.
I'm not sure I can make it for Recon Weekend but I know I am not in any kind of form to ride what sounds like roughly a Deerfield 100k equivelent.
Those bail outs could see a lot of traffic. :D

BumbleBeeDave
03-23-2009, 08:37 AM
. . . what I can work out.

BBD

johnmdesigner
03-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Agree.
I'm not sure I can make it for Recon Weekend but I know I am not in any kind of form to ride what sounds like roughly a Deerfield 100k equivelent.
Those bail outs could see a lot of traffic. :D

I'm trying for the "lantern noir" jersey. :D

djg21
03-23-2009, 12:11 PM
I rode the course on Saturday. The unpaved sections are in good condition for the most part. Mountain road had just been freshly graded, and the surface was a little soft and loose, but in nice shape. In addition, a very short section (about 30 feet) of the last unpaved section (Stage Rd I think) had just been repaired with loose (and seemingly deep) crushed stone and was unrideable There was actually a car that was having problems passing through the stone when I was riding through.

GONE4ARIDE
03-23-2009, 07:35 PM
I rode the full race route yesterday. It is an epic course and will no doubt be selective.