PDA

View Full Version : epic ride #2

sloji
03-21-2009, 08:10 PM
I rode with Rapha for the Palo Alto to Santa Cruz ride through the mountains to the coast and this ride had a similar feel but longer with 9000 feet of climbing in 100 miles. Started in Cambria, Ca to a popular climb up Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd. in Big Sur (a 7.2 mile climb from the ocean to the summit at 2700 feet.)

It was a blast to ride with so many 50+ age group riders who were so strong. One rider at 57 was the epitome of a climber at 130 lbs and I watched him climb into the distance while my 160lb frame and 39/25 kept me busy climbing through fog, redwoods, dirt, and rocks. The return descent punished all of us with 46 degree temperatures with fog so thick it was tough to see.

Roads like this make me want a compact. The ride back had massive rollers and climbs to complete the circle...great day on the bike!

Louis
03-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Sounds cool.

These may be silly questions, but does an "epic" ride have to involve pain?

If while cycling, if you don't feel any pain are you challenging yourself sufficiently?

In other words, to be great does our sport have to hurt? I guess the answer for most endurance sports is "Yes." Unlike, say, precision sports such as golf, where little pain is involved, unless you are playing hurt.

Louis

sloji
03-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Sounds cool.

These may be silly questions, but does an "epic" ride have to involve pain?

If while cycling, if you don't feel any pain are you challenging yourself sufficiently?

In other words, to be great does our sport have to hurt? I guess the answer for most endurance sports is "Yes." Unlike, say, precision sports such as golf, where little pain is involved, unless you are playing hurt.

Louis

Seems to me the challenge is about using your intelligence i.e. choosing the right gearing, conserving energy while maximizing speed, fueling correctly. On this ride I held back a bit on the climb knowing that we had 50 miles to get back home with another 3k feet of climbing. Other riders pushed very hard and later paid the price.

The "epic ride" part is a bit tongue in cheek...

raygunner
03-21-2009, 09:38 PM
More photos!!

Ti Designs
03-21-2009, 09:44 PM
The return descent punished all of us with 46 degree temperatures

My indoor rides are colder than that...

sloji
03-22-2009, 12:21 AM

Must have been the 60 mph descent, no pedaling, and the speedos...

Ti Designs
03-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Must have been the 60 mph descent, no pedaling

Now I'm getting gear envy - just one more full week of fixed gear hell...

and the speedos...

You rode 100 miles in a speedo?

Climb01742
03-22-2009, 12:52 PM

ed, saw you riding in lowell road today at about 10AM. you had that rosy glow that said...screw what the calendar says, it ain't spring yet.

Ti Designs
03-22-2009, 01:39 PM
ed, saw you riding in lowell road today at about 10AM. you had that rosy glow that said...screw what the calendar says, it ain't spring yet.

In Lowell road? The pavement there is pretty good by this area's standards. Try Concord road (half the main roads around here are called Concord road, the other half are called Lowell road) in Waltham/Lexington - there are so many potholes that you more ride in it than on it. Marsh street in Belmont has set a new standard for potholes and broken pavement. One of the potholes is so big and so deep that I'm thinking of mounting a diving board on one side and filling it with water...

Climb01742
03-22-2009, 03:45 PM
ain't new england roads grand? think any town has the budget, or the inclination, to fix them?

paczki
03-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Just got back from a long ride. The traffic circle at the top of Belmont Hill is truly a wonder to behold --- one of the seven modern wonders of the world. And it raises metaphysical questions -- is it a road if there is no road?
The ride ended with snow -- what a lovely New England Spring day.

capybaras
03-22-2009, 04:03 PM
The ride ended with snow -- what a lovely New England Spring day.
:crap:

Ti Designs
03-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Just got back from a long ride. The traffic circle at the top of Belmont Hill is truly a wonder to behold --- one of the seven modern wonders of the world. And it raises metaphysical questions -- is it a road if there is no road?

The Belmont Hill circle still has an almost smooth section on the very outside. The true modern wonder is Marsh street between that circle and Winter street, it makes riding on the cobbles of Roubaix look like child's play. It's beyond the question of road or no road. No road would be far smoother. This is more like a dirt road with bricks and cinderblocks strewn around randomly...