PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Colorado Crl

msl819
03-21-2009, 04:35 PM
I need some help on info. I have an opportunity to pick up a Serotta Colorado CRL and was wondering if someone could give me the back story on them. I have seen some for sale, at least enough to know a ballpark price, but i do not know anything else. Can anyone tell me the frame material? The ride quality? (i know this is opinionated). Where this sat in there line up? To the best of my knowledge it is somewhere between a 97-99 model year. Thanks for your help.

Chris
03-21-2009, 04:46 PM
I think the CSI had replaced the CRL by that time period. I got mine in 1993 and it remains the sweetest steel bike I have ever ridden, much less owned.

justinf
03-21-2009, 04:46 PM
One of Serotta's best, likely from '93-94, and one of the classic race bikes that helped make their reputation imho. Lugged Colorado steel, 1" level top tube, well-executed internal cable routing, great steel fork. Excellent comfortable, fast geometry. Available cheap these days. . . go for it, as long as it's free of damage and rust.

mike p
03-21-2009, 05:43 PM
To me it's one of Serottas best all time bikes. Was replaced by the CSI. I owned both CSI and CRL, both great bikes and equals.

Mike

msl819
03-21-2009, 08:17 PM
what can you tell me about the tubing. What is colorado concept tubing? is that a type of steel or the design of the tubeset?

mike p
03-21-2009, 08:25 PM
I believe the "colorado concept" was serotta's seat tube flairing from 27.2 to something much larger at the bottom bracket. Was supposed to give a ride that was vertically compliant while torsionally stiff.

Mike

saab2000
03-22-2009, 08:19 AM
I own one. Do a search. It is no lightweight, but a very nice ride. I will try to post more on it when I am at a real computer and not on the iphone.

It is possible to want a 'better' bike, but nobody needs one. My Colorado Legend CRL is terrific all-around road race bike.

K Bedford
03-22-2009, 09:10 AM
The CRL was a really nice riding bike I can say from first hand experience.
The tubing was Colorado Concept tubing which was the name for the proprietary tubing Serotta developed in the mid 80's. The idea behind this was to have tubes of a larger diameter where the stiffness was needed, drive train area primarily, and to retain more normal diameters in other areas where comfort and compliance were more important, hence the tapered tubes.
the seat tube and down tubes were 1 3/8" at the bottom bracket tapering to 1 1/8" at the head tube and top of the seat tube. the top tube was also tapered but got larger at the head tube to control head tube twist and was ovalived vertically to retain some vertical compliance.
Much or this tubing was made made from Tange Prestige alloy, some of my fovorite tubing to build with and ride.

mike p
03-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Yeah, thats what I said!

Mike :)

The CRL was a really nice riding bike I can say from first hand experience.
The tubing was Colorado Concept tubing which was the name for the proprietary tubing Serotta developed in the mid 80's. The idea behind this was to have tubes of a larger diameter where the stiffness was needed, drive train area primarily, and to retain more normal diameters in other areas where comfort and compliance were more important, hence the tapered tubes.
the seat tube and down tubes were 1 3/8" at the bottom bracket tapering to 1 1/8" at the head tube and top of the seat tube. the top tube was also tapered but got larger at the head tube to control head tube twist and was ovalived vertically to retain some vertical compliance.
Much or this tubing was made made from Tange Prestige alloy, some of my fovorite tubing to build with and ride.

saab2000
03-22-2009, 02:26 PM
This is my CRL. Many of you will have seen it posted elsewhere I think.

Anyway, it popped up here in the classifieds last year by a fellow Forum Member and I jumped on it right away. It was in Detroit and I got it and built it up over last summer with stuff I had sitting around and also picked up a set of '90s Ergo 8-speed. The 8-speed group is complete and works great.

I don't know what this bike weighs, but it's not a lightweight. But it doesn't ride 'heavy' either. It is what it is and that's just fine. Ride is smooth. Handling is good.

The bike is a bit small for me in the regular Serotta 57, but not bad by a long shot. My issue is the 73˚ seat angle. It just isn't shallow enough for me. I like to sit a bit further back. But it works.

Since I built it up I have about 1500 miles on it. I am very glad I have this bike! It is the bike I wish I had owned when I lived in Switzerland. It would have been better than the ones I was riding at the time.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3433/3376105045_a6eaa627f3_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3657/3376918362_4ab18003da_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/3376913398_850c533154_b.jpg

93legendti
03-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Pretty bike!

saab2000
03-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks.

It was a raging bargain. I still can't believe I have it. Not that I worship it or anything, but I seriously wish I had had one this nice during the '90s.

I won't deny that my CIII is a nicer bike. Lighter and handles better and is stiffer and livelier. But the Colorado Legend CRL pictured is still a helluva bike and a regularly ridden one. It is the one I keep out east in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area at my 'crashpad'. Hence the 44-tooth small ring. The roads out there are flat. As in really, you gotta be kidding, flat.

Dekonick
03-22-2009, 03:26 PM
This is my CRL. Many of you will have seen it posted elsewhere I think.

Anyway, it popped up here in the classifieds last year by a fellow Forum Member and I jumped on it right away. It was in Detroit and I got it and built it up over last summer with stuff I had sitting around and also picked up a set of '90s Ergo 8-speed. The 8-speed group is complete and works great.

I don't know what this bike weighs, but it's not a lightweight. But it doesn't ride 'heavy' either. It is what it is and that's just fine. Ride is smooth. Handling is good.

The bike is a bit small for me in the regular Serotta 57, but not bad by a long shot. My issue is the 73˚ seat angle. It just isn't shallow enough for me. I like to sit a bit further back. But it works.

Since I built it up I have about 1500 miles on it. I am very glad I have this bike! It is the bike I wish I had owned when I lived in Switzerland. It would have been better than the ones I was riding at the time.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3433/3376105045_a6eaa627f3_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3657/3376918362_4ab18003da_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/3376913398_850c533154_b.jpg

Saab - did you see the post about the nitto extreme setback seatpost? Would fix your complaint!

:)

saab2000
03-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Yeah, I could do that. But the pictured Campagnolo Record seatpost is about the prettiest thing on earth made of metal. I'll try different seats that position me differently first. Or just deal with it.

I think I want to try a Rolls on this bike. I have one on my Grandis and that seems to sit me back just a bit further.

cmg
03-22-2009, 09:23 PM
that is a great paint scheme, don't care how old it gets, it always looks good. dig it.

schneiderrd
03-23-2009, 05:16 PM
I think the tubing set might have been Columbus. I ran into a guy a few years back from Austraila who's bike had the same taper to the tubes as the CRL and it had Columbus stickers on it. My CRL weighs about 22 pounds (62cm). Heavy by today's standards but typical in 1993. Great Bike!

mike p
03-23-2009, 05:44 PM
I think my 58 CRL weighs around 18.5 with DA and Ultegra and Mavic K's SL. I have no crazy lightweight parts on it and I feel at no disadvantage with 16 and 17 lb bikes.

Mike

schneiderrd
03-23-2009, 08:19 PM
That might be about right. I am running much heavier wheels with 36 spokes and I have a leather saddle to boot. Still a great bike and if I was really concerned about weight, I'd go on a diet.

RedCoeurd'Acier
03-24-2009, 04:05 AM
Thats the classic Serotta steel frame and fork setup. I also love the steel fork with the "Colorado S" on the right side. I have and Atlanta with steel fork that has the same. Happy riding!! :)

timto
03-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Also seems that the CRL has some nice touches like internal routed brake cable and FD tab that I haven't seen on CSI's....

Of course nothing to do with the actual ride but are some fancy nice things that make a bike real pritty.