PDA

View Full Version : serotta 1-10 rating

the punisher
03-20-2009, 08:43 PM
since i've never heard of them before and now after watching the vid which explains the guy's interest and beginning in cycling and building, what would you rate your custom serotta as, 1 being lowest and 10 being highest and in comparison to the other bikes you've ridden before hand.

i'd like to know what the consumer thinks.

the punisher
03-20-2009, 08:46 PM
and another thing, only if you REALLY are at one with your bike and can telll a difference in stance, power transfer, aggressive stability and stiffness need reply.

i'm not one of those 'oh, look at me, i paid $8000 for a custom bike so i must be good' type of riders.

i'm an engine and a determined to win one so no pansies please.

Michael Maddox
03-20-2009, 08:52 PM
i'm not one of those 'oh, look at me, i paid $8000 for a custom bike so i must be good' type of riders.

i'm an engine and a determined to win one so no pansies please.

Some would say we're all doctors, lawyers, and dentists...

dekindy
03-20-2009, 08:57 PM
If you are not careful you will get mistaken for a troll. Oops, too late! :rolleyes:

the punisher
03-20-2009, 08:57 PM

sucks to be you all.

the punisher
03-20-2009, 09:02 PM
If you are not careful you will get mistaken for a troll. Oops, too late! :rolleyes:

no worries. it wouldn't be the first time people went out of their way to label me because they couldn't figure me out.

not my weakness to overcome, theirs.

Dekonick
03-20-2009, 09:02 PM
what kind of question is this?

A good bike, that fits, will ride like a 10.

A good bike that doesn't fit will ride like *****.

So - are you asking folks how - compared to other bikes they have that fit - how do you rate your Serotta?

Stupid question in my book - it all depends on what the bike is designed for, and how you use it. All of the 'good' builders are capable of delivering a fantastic frame - and some can do the fork as well...

I'll say this -

My Serotta Legend - that doesn't fit EXACTLY but is damned close - is an 11 on a scale of 1-10. It is heavy compared to what is available today. It isn't made of plastic. It has a rear stay that only an owner could love (looks odd to many) but if I could get a custom Hors Categorie, it would rate out of this world. I haven't really had bike lust (well - not a real case anyway) since I rode the HC - it is a special ride. As an 'engine' I suppose you would not like it. As a recreational rider who really could care less how much my frame weighs (at what point does the frame weight really matter - we are talking frames that weigh what - 3-4 pounds?) I love my Legends. The ride is sublime. My changes would only be to allow for wider tires, fenders, and perhaps a 72 instead of 73 deg. HT angle to account for Brooks.

Probably not what you were looking for.

:D

the punisher
03-20-2009, 09:06 PM
exactly what i was looking for, your knowledge to build mine upon so thanks.

and btw, you're talking to the guy who turned his panaracer 1.9 fire xc pros around for maximum rolling resistance on the road on a gary fisher marlin for two years and still hit 34 mph, drafting big rigs.

i could care less about wieght, i care about real experience and enthusiasm, like yours so thanks.

the punisher
03-20-2009, 09:14 PM
what kind of question is this?

So - are you asking folks how - compared to other bikes they have that fit - how do you rate your Serotta?

Stupid question in my book - it all depends on what the bike is designed for, and how you use it. All of the 'good' builders are capable of delivering a fantastic frame - and some can do the fork as well...:D

you kinda answered my question. note to self: i know of one guy whos bike wasn't built right or either he was too retarded to know what was what so hold off on serotta.

and the bottom line is, is your heart in the right place? do you deserve to have someone build you a bike? for whatever reason it was that you ordered one, did it fill the need or are you stuck in this forum now because you have no other alternative?

i can outride anyone on a litespeed or cologno or whatever with their super record while i'm on my 105 because i connect and i take advantage, bike and component who cares.

just saying, it's not in cyclings best interest to buy into it, it's in its' best interest to love it for all it is.

my two cents.

Ken Robb
03-20-2009, 09:32 PM
what is "retardining"?

the punisher
03-20-2009, 10:10 PM
what is "retardining"?

the act of becoming a retard due to those ill equipped to get it from the get go.

dave thompson
03-20-2009, 10:21 PM
So Ken, who's your new best friend? He coming to San Diego too? :)

David Kirk
03-20-2009, 10:24 PM
this is an odd one.

Dave

SoCalSteve
03-20-2009, 10:25 PM

Post of the day!

slowgoing
03-20-2009, 10:43 PM
I wonder if Serotta ever turns anyone down: nope, sorry, we can't make one for you. Don't know why that question suddenly popped in my head.

rcnute
03-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm aggressively stable.

slowgoing
03-20-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm aggressively stable.

That’s oxymoretardining.

Elefantino
03-21-2009, 01:22 AM
what is "retardining"?
Eating late?

bronk
03-21-2009, 04:19 AM
2 words...jerk offspring

Sandy
03-21-2009, 04:28 AM
you kinda answered my question. note to self: i know of one guy whos bike wasn't built right or either he was too retarded to know what was what so hold off on serotta.

and the bottom line is, is your heart in the right place? do you deserve to have someone build you a bike? for whatever reason it was that you ordered one, did it fill the need or are you stuck in this forum now because you have no other alternative?

i can outride anyone on a litespeed or cologno or whatever with their super record while i'm on my 105 because i connect and i take advantage, bike and component who cares.

just saying, it's not in cyclings best interest to buy into it, it's in its' best interest to love it for all it is.

my two cents.

Some of those comments are ridiculous.

Sandy

gman
03-21-2009, 05:12 AM
If there is any truth to said individual's profile, his age may have a lot to do with this.

93legendti
03-21-2009, 05:46 AM
What would viper and m.summers say?

palincss
03-21-2009, 05:55 AM
no worries. it wouldn't be the first time people went out of their way to label me because they couldn't figure me out.

Or, as in this case, because they did figure you out...?

Dekonick
03-21-2009, 05:56 AM
Me thinks it lives under a bridge.

Run billygoat! RUN!

palincss
03-21-2009, 05:58 AM
2 words...jerk offspring

Sometimes you don't need a "spring"...

palincss
03-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Some of those comments are ridiculous.

Sandy

Only "some"?

dekindy
03-21-2009, 06:10 AM
I wonder if Serotta ever turns anyone down: nope, sorry, we can't make one for you. Don't know why that question suddenly popped in my head.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

TimD
03-21-2009, 06:13 AM
since i've never heard of them before and now after watching the vid which explains the guy's interest and beginning in cycling and building, what would you rate your custom serotta as, 1 being lowest and 10 being highest and in comparison to the other bikes you've ridden before hand.

i'd like to know what the consumer thinks.

Man I cannot believe I'm the first to write this...

MINE GOES UP TO 11

BUWAHAHAHAHAHA

Sandy
03-21-2009, 07:26 AM
I think the question is a genuine one, irregardless of whether it was genuinely given or not. I own two bikes- 2004 Serotta Ottrott ST and 2008 Serotta CDA. I had a 1998 Serotta CSI. I rate all my Serottas a 10. This is qualified in that I am a recreational cyclist.

In 1998, I test rode a bunch of road bikes, with no preset ideas of what material or builder I wanted. I rode at least 15 different bikes, including steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, and titanium. Included in the bikes were Aegis carbon fiber, Trek carbon fiber, Specialized aluminum, Cannondale aluminum, Klein Aluminum, Merlin titanium, Litespeed titanium, Serotta Titanium, Ritchey steel, Carrera steel, and Serotta Steel. Certainly none were optimal fits, although some fit considerably better than others.

The first Serotta I test rode was the all steel lugged Atlanta with a steel fork. I noticed in just the first couple of pedal stokes that the bike was very efficient in transferring pedal input into forward motion. In the test ride, it was quite evident that the bike had superior stability, especailly noticeable in going down a particularly steep hill. As I was ending my test ride of the bike, I though to myself that I did not have to "stay on top of the bike" like I did some of the others. The bike communicated to me that it was easy to handle and would not surprise me, nor did it need a great deal of corrections, like some the others.

I test rode 4 Serottas- the Atlanta, the lugged steel CSI, which I bought, the titanium CTI, and the titanium Legend. I found no other bikes that I rode to posses the combination of stability at speed and the efficiency of transferring pedal input into forward motion. The Serottas were more expensive than other corresponing bikes, but I felt the price difference, at the time, was worth it.

For me the CSI was wonderful, but ultimately not the best fit as I evolved some as a cyclist. When I decided to buy a new bike, I only test rode the Ottrott as I was so satisfied with the CSI. When I bought the CDA, I think I rode Smiley's Serotta Uniscasi first, but no other bikes.

I give my Serottas- 10, at least for my application, with my ability to perceive differences, however good or bad that may be.

If I were to ever buy another bike again, it would either be a Serotta, Kirk, Kellogg, on Bedford- steel, although I must say I would try some stock carbon fiber bikes from some larger builders too.

So my answer is 10 for my Serottas- each of them.

14 on a scale of 1-10,

Serotta Sandy

csm
03-21-2009, 07:32 AM
can we vote to ban?

the punisher
03-21-2009, 08:03 AM
I think the question is a genuine one, irregardless of whether it was genuinely given or not. I own two bikes- 2004 Serotta Ottrott ST and 2008 Serotta CDA. I had a 1998 Serotta CSI. I rate all my Serottas a 10. This is qualified in that I am a recreational cyclist.

In 1998, I test rode a bunch of road bikes, with no preset ideas of what material or builder I wanted. I rode at least 15 different bikes, including steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, and titanium. Included in the bikes were Aegis carbon fiber, Trek carbon fiber, Specialized aluminum, Cannondale aluminum, Klein Aluminum, Merlin titanium, Litespeed titanium, Serotta Titanium, Ritchey steel, Carrera steel, and Serotta Steel. Certainly none were optimal fits, although some fit considerably better than others.

The first Serotta I test rode was the all steel lugged Atlanta with a steel fork. I noticed in just the first couple of pedal stokes that the bike was very efficient in transferring pedal input into forward motion. In the test ride, it was quite evident that the bike had superior stability, especailly noticeable in going down a particularly steep hill. As I was ending my test ride of the bike, I though to myself that I did not have to "stay on top of the bike" like I did some of the others. The bike communicated to me that it was easy to handle and would not surprise me, nor did it need a great deal of corrections, like some the others.

I test rode 4 Serottas- the Atlanta, the lugged steel CSI, which I bought, the titanium CTI, and the titanium Legend. I found no other bikes that I rode to posses the combination of stability at speed and the efficiency of transferring pedal input into forward motion. The Serottas were more expensive than other corresponing bikes, but I felt the price difference, at the time, was worth it.

For me the CSI was wonderful, but ultimately not the best fit as I evolved some as a cyclist. When I decided to buy a new bike, I only test rode the Ottrott as I was so satisfied with the CSI. When I bought the CDA, I think I rode Smiley's Serotta Uniscasi first, but no other bikes.

I give my Serottas- 10, at least for my application, with my ability to perceive differences, however good or bad that may be.

If I were to ever buy another bike again, it would either be a Serotta, Kirk, Kellogg, on Bedford- steel, although I must say I would try some stock carbon fiber bikes from some larger builders too.

So my answer is 10 for my Serottas- each of them.

14 on a scale of 1-10,

Serotta Sandy

ahh, genuine intelligence. hello friend.

Sir Preston.

the punisher
03-21-2009, 08:35 AM
your response, Sandy, was on a scale of 1-10, a 20.

i received more insight and perspective, although you did leave out what other bikes you were comparing your findings of serottas to, from what you said than i have in a long while and i've been around for some time now, slowly gaining knowledge and insight from others such as yourself so thank you.

you should know that i've only come across one other person, besides myself, that speaks with as much enthusiasm and respect and intelligence for the ride as you do, and he's taken Lance twice.

the punisher
03-21-2009, 08:37 AM
and i now wear his jerseys. pretty cool, huh?

Lifelover
03-21-2009, 08:41 AM
your response, Miss Sandy, was on a scale of 1-10, a 20...

Sandy is a very Manly Man, even though he does have the heart and kindness of a woman!

For the record, I really hope you are you and not who some think you are. It would be VERY disappointing!

the punisher
03-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Sandy is a very Manly Man, even though he does have the heart and kindness of a woman!

For the record, I really hope you are you and not who some think you are. It would be VERY disappointing!

i am for real. cycling saved my life, what more can you want?

regularguy412
03-21-2009, 08:54 AM
can we vote to ban?

I already banned him from my views, save the 'quoted' portions in the posts of others. :D

The only way to deal with idiocy is to not give it an audience. I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Mike in AR:beer:

the punisher
03-21-2009, 09:06 AM
I already banned him from my views, save the 'quoted' portions in the posts of others. :D

The only way to deal with idiocy is to not give it an audience. I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Mike in AR:beer:

do you not get just how supremely idiocy ruled in and by and of your words and actions? too easy, a no brainer. and no hard feelings, i don't like having people whom go out of their way to diss me on my threads by making a public idiot of themselves by saying on my thread that they have already banned me or whatever and then claim that they are the ones with brains on my thread so thank you as well.

i hadn't a clue that this site came with the easy button installed and working properly. thanks moderators. :)

again, no hard feelings little girl but you won't be seeing this, right? goOd.bYe.

:) Sir Preston in Houston, Tx. come get some. :)

djg
03-21-2009, 09:28 AM

The fabled triple threat.

I am not worthy (just a lawyer who used to kinda sorta play a doctor at work, on a med school basic science faculty, before attending law school, but was never a real MD-ish doctor). Around here -- DC metro area -- most folks who race are professionals of some sort, even a few of the quasi (nominally) pro cyclists, and certainly folks who race as strong Cat 2s, just like struggling Cat 5s. DC's mayor (a lawyer) can turn the pedals pretty well when his wife lets him out of the house to race. This is your point of course -- most of us make a living at something.

I've got no real response to the P's initial question, because my Serottas are stock. The geometries (HSG ti and GP suisse) absolutely make sense to me, but they were not custom designed to fit under my very special tuches. My HSG Ti is a solid race bike -- it's responsive, it handles as it should, it's stable in corners -- it's an excellent road bike. My last road bike was a Colnago CT1 and also very good -- they were different bikes, but I'm not sure one was definitely better than the other. I did sell the Colnago (after 6 years of good use), if that's an indication of something. I'm a mediocrity on the bike -- a former middling Cat 3 who is in his second year of a "comeback" as a Masters racer (more interested in cross now, but I'll do a half dozen or so road events this season as well). I know a really solid Cat 2 with a steel Serotta on which he can kick some sprint butt (but, then, he'd be fast on anything).

I'm at a bit of a loss on comparisons -- my last bunch of years racing was so long ago that the bikes are no longer available. My Serotta is definitely an improvement over the Trek OCLV (Y2k version) that I spent a year on -- better in corners and better handling overall. At the same, I'm sure that Trek has improved its offerings in the interim (and I've heard that they've improved the old forks in particular). I've thrown a leg over a few things -- a friend's Marcelo seemed like a really good bike -- but I haven't put enough time into current race alternatives to really sort things out in any sensible pecking order. Serotta built me an excellent bike and sold me a very reasonable crash protection policy, which gives me some peace of mind (and a jersey). It's purty, it does what it should -- I'm happy.

Charles M
03-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Back when Aluminum with a carbon insert rear were the rage, The first Serotta was an Ottrot ST... Pretty much better than anything anyone else was making at the time.

And it was a dead on fit for what I wanted, compared to most stockers that I could find a position on but always seemed to sacrifice something in ride quality and that little bit of handling benefit that comes with not only being in the exact right spot on a bike, but having the front end andgles and wheels be in just the right spot too. All bundled in plenty of stiffness but without the penalties that usually come with it.

They I wanted a little more agressive ride. A little more stiffness and a little quicker turning... So A Nove...

Then came full carbon custom bikes from a few other shops (and a host of other test bikes as EVERYONE was getting better at building.

I wanted a bike that dropped a little more weight, rides like an Air hockey puck it but would also allow me to display to the puppies (young guys who bitch about older guys being able to afford better *****, but can't ride it) that the guy on the Serotta isn't a Doctor or Lawyer but could probably cause the need for both in short order.

The Meivici lands shortly...

Comparing the Serotta's to all other bikes is just too large a topic for me. But I will say that relative to most custom builders they rate near the top in their over all line of bikes.

14max
03-21-2009, 11:14 AM

Pete Serotta
03-21-2009, 11:23 AM
The punisher has left the stage :no: :no:

Erik.Lazdins
03-21-2009, 11:41 AM
i can outride anyone on a litespeed or cologno .

Which Cologno was it? :banana:

csm
03-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Which Cologno was it? :banana:

CK1 or Polo?

justinf
03-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Viper. SOS.

jmeloy
03-21-2009, 06:04 PM
that was much needed.

SPOKE
03-21-2009, 11:59 PM

I have actually turned down a couple clients for fittings. it's just in the way the initial conversation goes. something clicks in my head and makes me realize i'll never be able to satisfy this person. I don't know if Serotta has ever refused to build a bike for a customer but i'd be willing to bet they have.

RudAwkning
03-22-2009, 04:30 AM
I thought "you never go rull retard". Was I wrong?

Ti Designs
03-22-2009, 09:00 AM

Dude, we need to ride. I'm off my fixed gear next month and I'm looking to get my legs ripped off on my harder training days. Where do you live/ride???

To answer the original question, my Serotta is a solid 8.5, with the mandatory deductions for being kinda harsh riding and not sticking the landing - no bike does everything well, my Serotta does what I ask of it. By comparison, my previous bike was a Seven.

Saxon
03-22-2009, 03:41 PM
I just blew milk out my nose!! LOL!

Ken Robb
03-22-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll be away that year. :rolleyes:

Samster
03-22-2009, 04:32 PM
what the hell was this all about? once again, i missed the action. :fight: