PDA

View Full Version : Commuter Bike Parking

PacNW2Ford
03-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Oregon just passed a law prohibiting smoking in buildings. My office used to have an enclosed "smoking room" in the basement parking garage. Today I noticed that it has been converted to a bike parking room. Sweet!

gasman
03-21-2009, 09:38 AM
That's great !!

PCR
03-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Oregon just passed a law prohibiting smoking in buildings. My office used to have an enclosed "smoking room" in the basement parking garage. Today I noticed that it has been converted to a bike parking room. Sweet!

I hope the building managers have aired out the room too! This is great news! :banana:

Dekonick
03-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Obviously dont live on the east coast :crap:

Good news tho! :banana:

johnnymossville
03-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Here I thought it's been 15+ years since smoking was allowed in buildings. Who knew? That's great news though. I would prefer a small fitness center though. I keep my bike in my office.

girlie
03-21-2009, 12:43 PM
My high school had a smoking lounge right next to the cafeteria. Makes me laugh now.

girlie

bigbill
03-21-2009, 12:47 PM
My high school had a smoking lounge right next to the cafeteria. Makes me laugh now.

girlie

I remember the teachers smoking at their lunch table in the cafeteria when I was in elementary school.

girlie
03-21-2009, 01:00 PM
I remember the teachers smoking at their lunch table in the cafeteria when I was in elementary school.

Did they look all cool?

girlie

bigbill
03-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Did they look all cool?

girlie

It was the early 70's, every smoker looked cool. My grandmother used to send me to the drug store to buy her a pack.

girlie
03-21-2009, 02:47 PM
It was the early 70's, every smoker looked cool. My grandmother used to send me to the drug store to buy her a pack.

Go get me a pak of smokes.

Was it like $1.00?

girlie

PacNW2Ford
03-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Here I thought it's been 15+ years since smoking was allowed in buildings. Who knew? That's great news though. I would prefer a small fitness center though. I keep my bike in my office.

We already had a small fitness center with showers. It's "free" too, included in our lease. The same lease also prohibits bikes in the offices, though, that's what is cool about the new room. I haven't checked to see if the room has been adequately deodorized. I'm running out of excuses for not regularly commuting.

rwsaunders
03-21-2009, 04:57 PM
All you need to top it off is a staff bike mechanic. Congrats on the space. If the building is LEED certified (tech lingo for a green building), the developer earns some points towards certification by including bike parking, locker rooms and showers in the facility.

johnnymossville
03-22-2009, 02:48 PM
We already had a small fitness center with showers. It's "free" too, included in our lease. The same lease also prohibits bikes in the offices, though, that's what is cool about the new room. I haven't checked to see if the room has been adequately deodorized. I'm running out of excuses for not regularly commuting.

ahhh, that's great then! I wouldn't mind spinning during lunch break on really cold days.

malcolm
03-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Go get me a pak of smokes.

Was it like $1.00?

girlie

Will probably age myself, but I remember when they were $ .50. When prices started going up all the smokers said when they get to a dollar they would quit, they didn't.

JohnHemlock
03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
My former employer built a massive corporate headquarters 40-some stories high about 6 years ago. They had some extra space on one of the floors and the finalists were fitness center and smoking lounge.

They went with the smoking lounge. :confused: