PDA

View Full Version : Slope or not to slope?

Smiley
03-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Finishing up the build of my K Bedford Custom street fixee and I see the results of my decision to slope my TT by +2.0 degrees, its about a 2.5 cm drop. I need to keep reminding myself that I am building a lifetime posession frame at age 57 to ride for +20 more years. As such I designed this bike so it will use a - 6 degree stem today yet with room down the far road to raise the stem and even flip the stem to ride this bike in a more relaxed up-right stance. I currently ride with 4.5 cm drop from saddle top to bar top. The main reason for this little drop is the fact that I ride with RX glasses and any lower a drop and I can't carry my neck high enough to see through the main part of my lens of my glasses.
So what I think I did was strike a nice balance between the look of the frame and what I know will work for me since this is the third bike with similar spec's but with a slope on the TT. Ultimately YOU the peanut gallery will be the judges of how I suceeded or failed to find the right esthetic balance when I post my final build photo's. I must add that Kelly's work when seen up close is so freaking nice that I am afraid to ride this bike and maybe I'll build her and hang her up as ART. BTW anybody contemplating a fixee should really think hard about using Paul's track drop out with the adjusting screws as I don't think I have ever gotten my chain tension so right and the wheel alignment in my drop outs so even before.

ps: the next Bedford project bike on the boards right now is for a lugged frame and with less of a slope (-1 degree). I don't like sloping traditional bikes. Its OK for a carbone frame but not on anything classic.

mschol17
03-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Post the photos already.

:)

waychel
03-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Do you have a picture? I always go for sloping top tubes, since I have shorter legs relative to my torso, but I've always wondered what I'd do if I were to go custom.

Smiley
03-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Post the photos already.

:)

soon grasshopper, bought the prep to do the sxxxwrap on the bars today and awaiting the front brake bolt for the F3 fork and them I am done :)

fiamme red
03-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Get one Bedford frame with no slope, one with 1° of slope, one with 2° of slope, one with 3° of slope, etc. :)

jpw
03-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Get one Bedford frame with no slope, one with 1° of slope, one with 2° of slope, one with 3° of slope, etc. :)

Aren't you forgetting the possibilities of the decimal point?

Climb01742
03-20-2009, 09:54 AM
smiley, it's actually quite simple:

if you're young, cool, fast and blindingly handsome, go for a sloper.

if you're old, uncool, slow and nearly bald, go for a level TT.

elementary really.

:D

Smiley
03-20-2009, 09:55 AM

elementary really.

Yeah, that's what I figured out too, forgot to add the Brooks saddle in that statement :)

cpg
03-20-2009, 01:46 PM

elementary really.

Hey I resemble that remark. Don't be picking on bald guys with level top tubes. We're always fashionable.

Jeff N.
03-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey I resemble that remark. Don't be picking on bald guys with level top tubes. We're always fashionable.+1 for the level TT, if given the choice. Never liked the girly-bike look of the slopers and the resulting long exposed seatpost.

maunahaole
03-20-2009, 03:08 PM
soon grasshopper, bought the prep to do the sxxxwrap on the bars today and awaiting the front brake bolt for the F3 fork and them I am done :)

If you don't use Obenauf, your tape will explode.

Go level - level TT never goes out of style and if you are riding a KBed, you are riding an instant classic. Do the right thing and make it timeless.

Kirk Pacenti
03-20-2009, 07:06 PM
no slope.

David Kirk
03-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Maybe get what you want not what we think. What do we know that you don't about what you like?

Just say'in.

Dave

palincss
03-20-2009, 07:55 PM
I currently ride with 4.5 cm drop from saddle top to bar top. The main reason for this little drop is the fact that I ride with RX glasses and any lower a drop and I can't carry my neck high enough to see through the main part of my lens of my glasses.

Quite a compelling argument, and one that trumps any and all fashion considerations.

Ultimately YOU the peanut gallery will be the judges of how I suceeded or failed to find the right esthetic balance when I post my final build photo's.

Ultimately what we in the peanut gallery think means nothing at all. What you think is all that matters.

goblue
03-20-2009, 08:06 PM
on my Legend...classic modern.

Smiley
03-20-2009, 08:12 PM
"Ultimately what we in the peanut gallery think means nothing at all. What you think is all that matters" by Steve

I always do what I want, I think the bike design will speak for itself, Thanks on the tip for the braze on Pauls for the new project :)

Samster
03-20-2009, 08:26 PM
atmo, slope is good for really tall bikes. it brings them down to earth.

otoh, level suits smaller frames. it raises them to the heavens.

Dekonick
03-20-2009, 09:19 PM

elementary really.

Easy there Climbissimo - you describe me.