PDA

View Full Version : Bike Fitting - How to Prepare

MattTuck
03-19-2009, 07:16 PM
At risk of posting in the bike fit forum and letting my post idle unread for several weeks, I decided to post here.

I am going to be getting a "new bike fitting" from fitwerx in VT sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. It was a gift from my fiance and although I am not going to be ordering a custom bike at that visit, I may very well order one this summer.

For those of you who have gone through the process, is there anything worth doing ahead of time to prepare? I've been riding mostly inside on the trainer, maybe 4-5 hours/week just to keep my legs going. I'm hoping to get in 5 or 6 rides outside before the fitting.

Just looking for any tips that y'all might have wished that you knew ahead of time.

Thanks!

rnhood
03-19-2009, 07:30 PM
I just had a Wobble Naught fit and, its not necessary to do anything in advance. Just take your normal cycling attire. And plan to spend about 3 hours there. They measure your body till the cows come home. You don't need to take your bike geometry because they will measure it with a laser. Then they load all your measurements into a program and crunch some numbers. Then set up your bike up and, you hop on and start pedaling while they take some video. Then put the lasers on you to fine tune your positioning. Another video, etc. I thought it was a bit overboad but it was thorough and, I guess they have to do something to justify the $225 fee. It certainly wasn't cheap. You will get a drawing with numbers though, which makes it pretty easy to pick out a bike with appropriate geometry for you.

dekindy
03-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Isn't it a good idea to have your pedals, shoes, and saddle picked out so that you get the exact measurements that can be duplicated without adjustment.

If you don't have the contact points finalized then you will have to make adjustment for different shoe stack height and saddle positioning. Or does none of that matter?

old_school
03-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Just looking for any tips that y'all might have wished that you knew ahead of time.

There is a pretty good sandwich joint down the road on rt. 100 ... Easy St. Cafe, or something like that.

Peter B
03-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Isn't it a good idea to have your pedals, shoes, and saddle picked out so that you get the exact measurements that can be duplicated without adjustment.

If you don't have the contact points finalized then you will have to make adjustment for different shoe stack height and saddle positioning. Or does none of that matter?

Good advice for getting the most from a fit session.

And remember that despite all the computers and lasers and algorithms, a fit is simply one person's snapshot in time of you. Take it as a reference, a starting point, kind of like KOPS, and fine tune over the ensuing miles. It will evolve, maybe a little, maybe a lot. Do this for at least a season (unless you are a WELL-seasoned rider) and then consider custom. You'll likely end up happier with the result.

Just my .02 and perhaps not worth even that.

regularguy412
03-19-2009, 09:14 PM
I took my shoes and my pedals. I also took my 'old' bike, so the fitter could actually see my current position. Bear in mind, that my fitting took place in 1996 before the widespread use of lasers and video cameras. However, the Serotta fitter did a great job.

Mike in AR:beer:

Ti Designs
03-19-2009, 09:21 PM
They measure your body till the cows come home.

FitWerx is in Vermont, the cows ARE home.

fierte_poser
03-19-2009, 10:03 PM
I took my shoes and my pedals. I also took my 'old' bike, so the fitter could actually see my current position. Bear in mind, that my fitting took place in 1996 before the widespread use of lasers and video cameras. However, the Serotta fitter did a great job.

Mike in AR:beer:

I can't believe there was a time without lasers and video cameras in the world of bike fitting! I sure am glad I live in such an enlightened age! ;)

kgreene10
03-19-2009, 10:19 PM
My fits have been done the old fashioned way (without lasers), so this may not apply. As an initial measure of the number of wedges I needed below my cleats, the fitter examined my walking shoes. So, you may want to bring a well used pair of your regular shoes with you as well.

soulspinner
03-20-2009, 05:51 AM
Dont forget to record everthing the way you ride now if they dont. If the fit aint to yer likin you at least go back to ground 0...

andy mac
03-21-2009, 06:44 AM
make sure your body is 'released', moving freely... massage, chiro, physio, other...??

i had a fitting when my body was a bit stuck and my numbers were whack. if i'd ordered the bike frame they'd suggested i would have been in major trouble.

:no:

andy

jbl
03-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Go for a few rides. Easy and hard. Make note of what feels okay and what doesn't. I.e., figure out what you want the fitter to try and fix.