PDA

View Full Version : Owner´s Club question (MTB)

fishylittlethin
01-13-2004, 07:48 AM
I just bought a new Serotta CHT, and am quite confused with the warranty policies.

From http://www.serotta.com/pages/warranty.html I apparently have LIFETIME WARRANTY. But then there is an Owner´s Club which requires $250 for 5 years?

1. Does that mean I need both?
2. Is this Owner´s Club recommended and necessary?

I have a Kona Hei Hei, and it has a lifetime warranty, as is other Ti makers such as Merlin so I am pretty confused.

I am not a racer, and at 160lbs, I think I am a pretty light rider. ;)

Appreciate any help and advice!
cheers, fishy :)

Smiley II
01-13-2004, 07:52 AM
the lifetime warranty covers defect from worksmanship and material failures, the owners club is a CRASH policy that limits your exposure for acts partaken by YOU to wreck your bike. I have not read the legal ease in a while since I am not fond of reading lawyer stuff which I do too often in my job reading terms and conditions of sales contracts. If in doubt call and talk to Steve or Mike at Serotta about it.

fishylittlethin
01-13-2004, 08:12 AM
thanks. just sent mike an email. -fishy

Bruce K
01-13-2004, 08:14 AM
fishy;

At one time I was told that the most common repair to Serottas under the Owner's Club crash protection was "low bridging" of bikes on rooftop carriers.

The club also included a low cost, one time refinishing of your bike frame, special discounts and notifications of new clothing and accessories, trips, workshops, events, and the like.

You also get a riding jersey (there's 1/4 to 1/3 of your investment right away).

I haven't looked in a while, but is the $250 for 5 years the only option now availablbe? There used to be a shorter one for a little less money.

Personally, both my Serottas are enrolled and I have made use of the refinishing offer on my Concours.

BK

fishylittlethin
01-13-2004, 08:41 AM
thanks Bruce.

Was just wondering I needed to shell out the extra dough. Am in Germany so I guess I will not be able to make use of the other benefits like trips, workshops etc etc.

The refinishing bit though sounds great since I already expect the frame to be chipped (it is a mountainbike!).

I think it is highly unlikely that I will break the frame since firstly, I am not good enough, and secondly, I trust Serotta will not sell a frame which breaks easily.

And you are right - $250 for 5 years for the Level 2 Owners Club.

Thanks! fishy