PDA

View Full Version : Trekkies: Kirk's chair

CNY rider
03-19-2009, 08:43 AM
I know, way OT, but just too cool to ignore.
Anyone here have one of these? I'm trying to think where it would look best in my living room.
(As an aside I do realize that both the chair and I would be sitting out in the garage when my wife got home from work).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/garden/19trek.html?8dpc

Snippet:

THERE is nothing particularly unusual about the living room of the two-story town house that Scott Veazie shares with his wife in Washougal, Wash., except for one piece of furniture in a corner: a full-size replica of the captain’s chair from the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise, as seen in the original “Star Trek” television series.

deechee
03-19-2009, 09:05 AM
funny. I liked this quote:
“It’s not the most comfortable of chairs,” Mr. Veazie said. “The arms are too low and they’re too far apart. Now I know why William Shatner was always leaning forward in it.”

I was never a fan of the original show but I was into NG. Can't wait for the new movie. Its been a while since I saw a fun space sci-fi movie.

rwsaunders
03-19-2009, 10:06 AM
I had the opportunity to tour the aircraft carrier, the Harry S. Truman, years ago when it was in dry dock for repairs. The Captain's chair was very similar to Kirk's, only it had a sheepskin cover. I also found it humorous that that Captain had a pair of foam dice hanging from the windshield.

dekindy
03-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Trek bicycles and Dave Kirk's chair??? Oh, I see, off-topic. I should have known. :crap:

yodelinpol
03-19-2009, 11:49 AM
umm... uh... umm...

yodelinpol
03-19-2009, 11:51 AM
is that little fella in the first pitcher wearin lipstick?

if yer gonna wear lipstick you have to wear taller boots and be named Johhny Thunders or the like lil fella... then it is cool.

Ozz
03-19-2009, 12:29 PM
"Serious Trekkies have long fashioned copies of their favorite costumes and props, and, back in the ’70s and ’80s, a few even put together homemade knockoffs of the captain’s chair, using reference materials like the “Starfleet Technical Manual” and “U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge Blueprints.”

For the record, my uncle gave me the the "Star Fleet Technical Manual" and "USS Enterprise Blueprints" for my 12th birthday.....pretty interesting actually. :rolleyes:

I wonder where they are? I'll need to check with my mom.....

:beer:

Kevan
03-19-2009, 12:41 PM
it would complete my laughingstock quotient.

avalonracing
03-19-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm trying to think where it would look best in my living room.
(As an aside I do realize that both the chair and I would be sitting out in the garage when my wife got home from work).

Congrats on having a wife. The Trekkie and wife thing don't often occur in the same reality.

CNY rider
03-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Congrats on having a wife. The Trekkie and wife think don't often occur in the same reality.

I'm a Kirk loyalist; she's more of a Picard fan but somehow we make it work. :)

chuckroast
03-19-2009, 07:10 PM
I was on a flight today and there in the Skymall Catalog was this piece of Americana...why do it yourself?

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102827155&c=&v=&cm_sp=Recommend-_-YMAL-_-ProductPage102827155

Elefantino
03-20-2009, 05:34 AM
[I]For the record, my uncle gave me the the "Star Fleet Technical Manual" and "USS Enterprise Blueprints" for my 12th birthday
I had those, too. Although, full disclosure, I think I bought them for myself and I think it might have been at the first Star Trek convention ever held on the West Coast, at Lincoln High in SF around 1973 or 74.

And what is the guy doing wearing a movie uniform on the TV set chair?

Live long and prosper.

fixednwinter
03-20-2009, 06:52 AM
I had those, too. Although, full disclosure, I think I bought them for myself and I think it might have been at the first Star Trek convention ever held on the West Coast, at Lincoln High in SF around 1973 or 74.

...errr, yeah...I too received the manual and blueprints around '75. I was 10 years old and they were a gift from my parents. This thread really brings back childhood memories.

Interestingly, I don't know whether it was because they were university educated, or the fact that most of them loved reading SF novels, but almost all of my girlfriends and my wife of 13 years really loved Trek. The only TV show that my wife and I currently follow is Battlestar Galactica, which she views as West Wing in Space.

avalonracing
03-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Yeah, I had the blueprints to the Enterprise as well. I'm pretty sure that they are stored in my mom's basement* somewhere if somebody wants to build their own starship.

*I don't currently live in my mom's basement even though I was the kind of kid who would appreciate Star Trek blueprints.

Nil Else
03-20-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm a Kirk loyalist; she's more of a Picard fan but somehow we make it work. :)

r_mutt
03-20-2009, 12:11 PM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

i do find kirk...fascinating ;)