PDA

View Full Version : Ride with GPS. com : New Ride map service

William
03-19-2009, 03:26 AM
I'm giving props to to a couple of guys who have come up with a really nice ride map program for cyclists. Easy to use with excellent response time to customer requests. I originally saw it on the OSU cycling boards and tried it out. Checking out rides around Corvallis and printing them off. I used to ride those roads when I was on the OSU cycling team so it was nostalgic and an accuracy test since I know them all by heart. You can add your own rides to the database, easy to create and download.

It's cool, works great, and as an OSU alum and Oregonian, I'm happy to help out a fellow Beaver and a Duck. ;)

William

PS: Already lots of feedback from across the hall. Check it out, if you have any more requests I'm sure the RidewithGPS guys will help you out.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/94

I am sure most of you are familiar with the site mapmyride.com, and if
you are anything like me, you find it frustrating to use. Our site aims
to be a much simpler interface, without the barrage of advertisements!
Our application performs many of the same things as mapmyride, plus a
few additional. We are working towards implementing more features such
as workout schedules, events, groups, geotagged photos etc. Here is an
example ride Joe Dengel and I went on last summer:

You will notice that you can mouse over on the elevation histogram and
see where that point is on the map. You can see my cadence and
heartrate value at that point, shown in the box below the graph. If you
click two points on the histogram, the graph and map will zoom in and
the metrics will be updated for that particular selection.

Since I created the trip using GPS log data from my Garmin 305, I have
heart rate and cadence information. You can check the boxes at the top
of the map to overlay this info on the histogram,

A fun feature I am working on and ironing out is the 3D view. On that
same page, there is a "View in 3D!" button at the top. Clicking on that
will change the view to a 3d map. Move it around with
left/right/up/down arrow keys. Zoom in and out with shift + up/down

All mapped data can be exported in any of your favourite formats, so you
can use them with other services or applications. There is no lock-in
to our service; We want to be as open and friendly as possible to our
users.

Of course mapping your own ride is easy enough:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/new

The mapping tool can either follow roads automatically, or draw straight
lines if there is no road information (such as is the case with bike
paths). Just select the mode at the top using "Follow Roads" or "Draw
Lines" buttons.

If anyone has feedback (positive or negative), suggestions, comments or
feature requests, now is the time to influence our direction! We would
love to encompass your ideas and needs into this application.

William
03-19-2009, 07:08 AM
Took me about two minutes to set up one of my regular riding routes.

Easy as pie...eating it that is. :)

http://ridewithgps.com/users/514

More detailed view with elevation etc...

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/785

Run your cursor over the elevation map and it shows you where on the route map those climbs and valleys are.

William

William
02-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Our friends from "Ride with GPS" in Oregon came up with some cool updates to their mapping service. It's the best one out there IMO. :cool:

William

Hello list!

I normally don't spam out updates to our site like this, but we just
released some cool new features so I feel the need to share!

First, we now handle FIT file formats for you Edge 500 bike computer
users, and can now directly sync with most garmin devices (except the
new 500, go figure, thanks garmin).

We now have tighter facebook integration for you social networking
diehards! Automatically share the new routes you map on facebook.

The really cool thing though, is we now have a pretty decent route
playback functionality. In the lower right hand corner of the page,
when viewing a trip, you'll see some player controls. Hit play and
crank up the speed to watch yourself zoom around. You can also enable
the new Map3D version of Google Maps and see a canted/angled version of
the ride. We are hoping to get our real 3D viewer supported soon for
this functionality as well. Hint: this is a preview of multi-rider
playback functionality....

The above link is a decent example of a trip to playback :)

Anyhow, don't be shy! If you see something you like let us know, and
more importantly, if you want something and don't see it let us know!
We are always looking for new innovations, and are happy to put your
ideas to work.

Regards,

Cullen
http://ridewithgps.com/users/1

William
08-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Cool updates. :cool:

http://ridewithgps.com/

William

dcuper1
08-11-2010, 09:34 AM
When making a route on their site will they add waypoints at every turn and warnings before the waypoints as bikeroutetoaster.com does? That is the main feature for me and I have only found it on bikeroutetoaster.com. Essentially you get 3 warnings before every turn. Does ridewithgps.com do that?

William
08-11-2010, 09:47 AM
When making a route on their site will they add waypoints at every turn and warnings before the waypoints as bikeroutetoaster.com does? That is the main feature for me and I have only found it on bikeroutetoaster.com. Essentially you get 3 warnings before every turn. Does ridewithgps.com do that?

Good question. I'm not sure but I would say direct your question to Cullen, they are very customer responsive. :cool:

William

jlwdm
08-11-2010, 12:47 PM
William:

Congratulations you finally got a response to this thread!

You first posted in March 2009, posted again in February 2010 and finally again today and got your first response.

I have never seen a thread like this that has no responses for so long. You must have felt like you were talking to yourself.

Mr. Squirrel did not even respond. I would think he would use these mapping sites to figure the best places to hide out.

Jeff

Onno
08-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Just posted my first ride. It does seem like an excellent site. Much easier to use than the others I've tried. Thanks!

William
08-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Just posted my first ride. It does seem like an excellent site. Much easier to use than the others I've tried. Thanks!

And this is the reason I've stuck with it. Those who tried it like it...no response needed...and Squirrels aren't welcome here. The rodent knows that. :bike:

William :cool:

dbh
08-11-2010, 02:39 PM
I think it's the best web-based GPS interface. I just wish Garmin wouldn't lock their code so that I can preview rides on my 500. It's a minor inconvenience, and the interface is far better than GarminConnect.

Mr. Squirrel
04-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Mr. Squirrel did not even respond. I would think he would use these mapping sites to figure the best places to hide out.

Jeff

dear mr jeff,
this is a wonderful idea. nuts for you!

mr squirrel

Steevo
04-16-2011, 07:35 PM
I just checked out this site today. I like it!! Its really easy to create a route, the software follows the road perfectly. There's great info on elevation profiles etc., and the cue sheet looks accurate. Seems a bit cleaner to use than Map My Ride (which I also like). This is a good find.

palincss
04-16-2011, 08:46 PM
More recent discussion about ridewithgps.com in another thread here
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=88893

William
04-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Groups
Posted on 03 April 2012.

You can now connect with people on Ride With GPS through our new Groups features. Groups will allow you to easily meet, coordinate, share, and compare rides, routes, and events with other group members. You can easily search for groups in your area or afar. Or, you can create your own Ride With GPS Group!

Color Scheme
Posted on 04 April 2012.

One of the things that has bothered us about the Ride With GPS website for a while was how dark and heavy the sites color scheme was. We have worked for quite some time on changing this, and we finally were able to make a change to a new color scheme.

Activity Center View Log by Time
Posted on 05 April 2012.

No matter what type of cyclist you are, whether you're a competitive racer, or recreational rider you probably do a fair amount of your riding based on time spent on the bike. In order to acknowledge the need to view your activity based on time in the Premium User's Activity Center we added the ability to view the Activity Center graph by Time. You now have three total views for this main graph: Distance, Elevation Gain, and Time.

Additional Highlights

Segments
FIT files from FR60 devices now "supported" - data isn't properly displayed for indoor workouts without distance, but no longer fail to process.

TCX files no longer erroneously split on laps
Annotations: New feature: Segment annotations. Select a segment on your trips or routes (as if you are creating a segment) and you will have the option to leave a comment on a section of your route/ride.

Route Search - Added ability to use route search for a user's routes. Just click "Search all xx routes" above the route list on any profile.

Viewing Trips - Added trip names into "see other activities" to more easily identify what you're looking for.

Viewing Trips - Added "see other rides" which shows you rides happening before/after the one you're looking at. Easy way to jump between rides.

Metrics - Computing moving time more accurately. Let us know if you have feedback on this.

Bugs

Garmin Sync, trips weren't displaying on right side
Fixed issue with avg HR not calculating correctly in some cases
Editing trips: fixed several edge-case bugs that happened when you did certain combinations of assigning trips to routes, renaming trips to a blank name, etc.

Fixed bug - can't click on anything in footer.

Elevation Calculation - FIxed elevation calculation issues - we are now consistently within 5% of what Garmin Connnect reports for same uploaded activity, and for routes mapped for any given activity, we are generally well within 10%. This is a big improvement!

rnhood
04-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I will agree that they have been slowly evolving this site and now it works pretty darn good. I particularly like how close the elevation gain correlates to GC. RwGPS still reports total gain a bit higher but not by much. A very nice fast responding website for mapping rides.

phcollard
04-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the update. I was looking for a good tool to map rides for my upcoming trip to Belgium. I was drawing in Google Earth before (what a pain) but it took me only a couple minute to draw the same route on this site!

I will buy a subscription to generate the cuesheets!

jdhansen63
04-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Great site. Much better than Mapmyride and Garmin Connect! Thanks for sharing.

Wish I had know of this when I went to New Zealand.

OtayBW
04-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Great site. Much better than Mapmyride and Garmin Connect!
I think so, too. Been using it a long time. Somehow, it still seems to be 'under the radar' a bit...

William
05-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Our friends have been busy!!!:cool:

Metrics Improvements
Posted on 22 May 2012.
Back To Blog

Over the last month we have re-architected a very fundamental component of our site we call the "metrics calculator". This component is responsible for all summary metrics on any route, ride, or segment. It is responsible for crunching the numbers when you zoom in, view your best efforts, or look at the max speed or grade of a ride. We are really excited about these changes, because it gives us some immediate improvements, and paves the way for some features we'll be working on right away.

A quick overview of the improvements that are on Ride with GPS right now, available on all of your existing data:

Hover your mouse over any min/max number under metrics to see it highlighted on the map and graph - see where the max grade is, see where your max speed was, etc.
Max speed is no longer buggy
Grade is much better. Even the max grade is a fairly reliable number now!
New metrics: VAM (how fast you climb), ascent time, descent time, UCI climb category, and more!
Color-coded metrics to match the graph - easier to visually scan the metrics table now.
Segment times are now displayed as when you started the actual segment (before it just showed when you left on the ride, so multiple efforts on the same segment would show the same time).

What you can expect in the next week thanks to this work:

The segments tab on your profile will list segment distance/elevation/climb category/etc.
All route/trip metrics (distance, elevation, speed, etc) will be consistent everywhere on the site.
More best effort intervals for our premium users with power meters.

One of the primary motivations behind these changes, is that it allows us to do efficient comparisons across all your rides. We are well on our way to wrapping up some great improvements to the activity center for our premium users that take advantage of this, stay tuned and let us know if you have any feedback!

http://blog.ridewithgps.com/blog/2012/05/22/Metrics-Improvements/?utm_source=Newsletter_May&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

William

1happygirl
05-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Somehow, it still seems to be 'under the radar' a bit...

Very cool seems like they now have a way to support smart phones for those of us waiting to Go Garmin.

BumbleBeeDave
05-23-2012, 12:34 PM
. . . Nice PR job. How much stock do you have from this company? :D

BBD

bikerboy337
05-23-2012, 02:34 PM
i used to use another site for mapping my rides and uploading to my Garmin (wont name that site), but i've found that ridewithgps is far and away better, its a much quicker site, takes me about 5 minutes at most to map out a 50 mile ride, save and upload to my garmin.... just started using it this spring and i wont go back to the other unnamed mapping site...

William
05-23-2012, 02:42 PM
. . . Nice PR job. How much stock do you have from this company? :D

BBD

They promised me that they wouldn't let any squirrels join if I plugged their fine site. The rodents are always trying to figure out my ride routes!:crap:

William;)

William
09-17-2012, 08:23 AM
More updates and now the store is open as well. Jersey anyone?:cool:

http://blog.ridewithgps.com/blog/2012/09/11/RWGPS-Store/?utm_source=Newsletter_September&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

William

wasfast
09-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Really great to see Zack andd Travis make a go of it. Not sure where the revenue is here but the product is really nice. For free as well, it's incredible.

Nice variation in the Jersey design as well. It's not easy to come up with some thing interesting and appealing as jersey graphics are rather mature at this point.

krhea
09-17-2012, 01:01 PM
From our local cycling blog last week:

http://bikeportland.org/2012/09/13/cullen-king-rolls-with-success-of-ride-with-gps-77254

KRhea