Who keeps them on? Freds

chuckred
03-18-2009, 04:53 PM
I can't believe a major manufacturer would be so careless :D
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09155.html

LMAO

Who keeps them on.

Jeff

but, I've had one major crash (in the 70's) from a poorly adjusted derailleur going into the spokes and just recently snapped the cage off my derailleur, bent the hanger and tweaked my rear wheel when I over shifted what had previously been a well adjusted derailleur. The chain went over the big cog and everything went "kablooy". I never really understood those spoke guard things but I'm starting to wonder....

johnnymossville
03-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Someone in the factory actually rides bicycles and doesn't just put them together? LOL

dvs cycles
03-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Who keeps them on? Freds
People who don't have the skills or tools to remove the cassette to get to the Dork Disc.
Hope this doesn't lead to hubs with it permanently fixed like Lawyer Lips on forks.

Louis
03-18-2009, 06:26 PM
OK, this brings up an interesting question, other than being slow (which nearly all of us are, when compared to somebody out there) what is the phredliest thing you can possibly do related to cycling?

My proposal: rotating drop bars 180* so the drops are higher.

old fat man
03-18-2009, 06:40 PM
but, I've had one major crash (in the 70's) from a poorly adjusted derailleur going into the spokes and just recently snapped the cage off my derailleur, bent the hanger and tweaked my rear wheel when I over shifted what had previously been a well adjusted derailleur. The chain went over the big cog and everything went "kablooy". I never really understood those spoke guard things but I'm starting to wonder....

um, a "well adjusted derailleur" doesn't over shift into the spokes. just sayin'...

dannyg1
03-18-2009, 06:47 PM
People who don't have the skills or tools to remove the cassette to get to the Dork Disc.
Hope this doesn't lead to hubs with it permanently fixed like Lawyer Lips on forks.

I just knew that there was judicious reasoning behind the Roval Fusee Star hubs. What do we call 'em, ?

JumpStart
03-18-2009, 08:05 PM

Speaking of Lawyers Lips, I'm stunned and bummed that the steel fork on my new Surly Steamroller has lawyers lips! Street Cred = 0

I can't recall seeing a pie plate at a recent group ride, I doubt I'd stay on someones wheel if I saw a pie plate on it.

Dekonick
03-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Speaking of Lawyers Lips, I'm stunned and bummed that the steel fork on my new Surly Steamroller has lawyers lips! Street Cred = 0

I can't recall seeing a pie plate at a recent group ride, I doubt I'd stay on someones wheel if I saw a pie plate on it.

Have file... will travel...

kerrycycle
03-18-2009, 08:43 PM
OK, this is absolutely ignorant. What lawmaker saw it as his duty to take taxpayer time to ensure this aberration is added to each bike sold. The same guy is probably the same guy you see riding down the sidewalk on a Wal-Mart Huffy, knees out, a bell on the bars, and nearly completely rusted chain. The idiot probably had no idea what the derailleur was, let alone how to adjust it, skinned his knee, and thought it would be a great idea to make this a law.

OK...I'm done. "Dork disc," I like that...

Ozz
03-18-2009, 08:44 PM
People who don't have the skills or tools to remove the cassette to get to the Dork Disc.....
Shoot....I used a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to break my dork disk apart on my Specialized Allez back in 1994....didn't have tools...would not have known how to remove it any other way....I just knew it needed to be gone. :beer:

avalonracing
03-18-2009, 08:49 PM
what is the phredliest thing you can possibly do related to cycling?
My proposal: rotating drop bars 180* so the drops are higher.
This has always been a retro/keepin' it real/style statement in the city.

chuckred
03-18-2009, 08:51 PM
um, a "well adjusted derailleur" doesn't over shift into the spokes. just sayin'...

It had been working perfectly up to that point ... I think when I shifted across several cogs while accelerating up a steep hill and hitting a fairly rough patch, the combination of factors threw the chain over the top...

probably user error as much as anything...

ace2937
03-18-2009, 09:04 PM
More often than not most of our customer's, whether they be mountain or road rider's, ask us to remove the spoke protector. I understand their purpose, but a properly inspected or adjusted bike will not shift the chain into the rear wheel. I have seen examples of poor setup and/or mountain bikes with major twigs caught in the drivetrain. In these cases not even the strongest titanium/carbon/epoxy composite spoke protectors on earth could prevent a catastrophe. By the way, go to the Specialized, Trek, Scott, Giant, Pinarello, Fuji, and Jamis web sites and see if any of their high end road or mountain bikes are shown with a spoke protector. I wonder if we will soon be seeing recalls from all of the above, so in the end in really wasn't carelessness, it's just another example of the government covering their ass. It's all good up in the hood.

rwsaunders
03-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Shoot....I used a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to break my dork disk apart on my Specialized Allez back in 1994....didn't have tools...would not have known how to remove it any other way....I just knew it needed to be gone. :beer:

Been there, done that.

Ti Designs
03-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Who keeps them on?

That's it, I'm putting them on my fixed gear - both sides, front and back.

WadePatton
03-19-2009, 10:02 AM
me too. have tools now, but then-just had to be rid of that thing.

Related note: I always get a chuckle when I see the pedal reflectors scattered along the trails. I'm glad that new folks are trying the trails and hope that their BRO doesn't completely disintegrate beneath them on their maiden voyage and dash their aspirations...

Ray
03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
I never heard those plastic disks referred to as pie plates. A pie plate is the kind of cassettes I ride with HUGE rear cogs, usually a 32 or 34. I've been accused (GUILTY!) of riding with a pie plate often, but haven't had one of those protectors things since the first few weeks of my first road bike, before I figured out how to get rid of it.

-Ray

jpw
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
"Incidents/Injuries: None reported." :bike:

fiamme red
03-19-2009, 12:53 PM
In Joe Lindsey's article (http://boulderreport.bicycling.com/2009/03/when-good-gover.html) on the subject, "When Good Government Goes Bad: A recall over spoke protectors?", he links to a news story about more insanity from the CPSC:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gjqsoTFa3Md19X3UmKYKTx3WiwKwD9705QG80

Lead raises questions about children's books

By LEE LOGAN

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — Could a vintage, dog-eared copy of "The Cat in the Hat" or "Where the Wild Things Are" be hazardous to your children?

Probably not, according to the nation's premier medical sleuths, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But a new federal law banning more than minute levels of lead in most products intended for children 12 or younger — and a federal agency's interpretation of the law — prompted at least two libraries last month to pull children's books printed before 1986 from their shelves...

A CPSC spokesman told The Associated Press in a recent interview that until more testing is done, the nation's more than 116,000 public and school libraries should take steps to ensure that children are kept away from books printed before 1986...

JumpStart
03-19-2009, 01:34 PM
I never heard those plastic disks referred to as pie plates. A pie plate is the kind of cassettes I ride with HUGE rear cogs, usually a 32 or 34. I've been accused (GUILTY!) of riding with a pie plate often, but haven't had one of those protectors things since the first few weeks of my first road bike, before I figured out how to get rid of it.

-Ray

Google "bike pie plate"

Dork Disk is probably a better description anyway.

Volant
03-19-2009, 02:57 PM
That was always the first thing to come off! I think Cannondale was just responding to the shops who probably asked C-dale to save them some time as they keep having to take them off for their customers buying that level of bike. They don't fly too well as mini-Frisbees and shops started having them pile-up.

JeffS
03-19-2009, 08:01 PM
OK, this is absolutely ignorant. What lawmaker saw it as his duty to take taxpayer time to ensure this aberration is added to each bike sold. The same guy is probably the same guy you see riding down the sidewalk on a Wal-Mart Huffy, knees out, a bell on the bars, and nearly completely rusted chain. The idiot probably had no idea what the derailleur was, let alone how to adjust it, skinned his knee, and thought it would be a great idea to make this a law.

OK...I'm done. "Dork disc," I like that...

You've got it backwards.

This kind of thing comes out of someone suing a bike manufacturer after wrecking because they shifted into their spokes, or lost their wheel after not properly tightening the release.

Blame it on the frivolous lawsuits - which I blame more on the greedy consumer than the greedy lawyer.

martinrjensen
03-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Next they are going to go after kick stands! I'm gonna ride my Madone "maverick", screw the law!

regularguy412
03-19-2009, 09:17 PM
FWIW, 'MY' old C-dale came with a chrome steel spoke protector. "Steel is real" :D. It was also the first thing I took off the bike, right before I swapped out the BioPace chainrings for round ones. OH! I still have that spoke protector lying around somewhere.

Mike in AR:beer:

sokyroadie
03-20-2009, 03:51 AM
I still have that spoke protector lying around somewhere.

Mike in AR:beer:

Sell it back to them. ;)

JB