PDA

View Full Version : Wool jerseys from Blighty

acorn_user
03-18-2009, 11:16 AM
These look pretty nice, and all made in Yorkshire.
http://www.shuttvr.com/index.php
I'm definitely going to buy some when I head home in May. They also offer a bespoke service.... time for some school colours!

rspecker
03-18-2009, 11:25 AM
the riders seem to actually wear helmets! And I thought all riders in the UK were too cool for a lid.

Not to make fun of a sad topic--but I wonder if Ms. Richardson's accident would have been less serious if she had been wearing a helmet?

fiamme red
03-18-2009, 11:30 AM
the riders seem to actually wear helmets! And I thought all riders in the UK were too cool for a lid.

Not to make fun of a sad topic--but I wonder if Ms. Richardson's accident would have been less serious if she had been wearing a helmet?Interesting post about that: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/richardsons-accident-reignites-ski-helmet-debate/?hp

The website says that the jerseys are made of "Drywool, a merino wool based material" -- I'd guess that these, like Rapha's, are mostly synthetic.

PCR
03-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Anyone tried these jerseys yet? I have e-mailed the folks at Shutt, nice guys. I'd like to find out what blend is in the jerseys.

These look pretty nice, and all made in Yorkshire.
http://www.shuttvr.com/index.php
I'm definitely going to buy some when I head home in May. They also offer a bespoke service.... time for some school colours!

rspecker
03-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Interesting post about that: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/richardsons-accident-reignites-ski-helmet-debate/?hp

The website says that the jerseys are made of "Drywool, a merino wool based material" -- I'd guess that these, like Rapha's, are mostly synthetic.
Thanks for the link. Pretty much confirms what I was told at Deer Valley earlier this year--they don't mandate helmet use, but the data suggests that helmets do help for low speed injuries that might otherwise be more serious.

I've been skiing since I was 5 (and suffice to say I am much older now!), and I never wore a helmet until the beginning of this season. I liked it--and I won't go back to no helmet. The arguments against helmets (that they inspire false confidence and increase recklessness, or that you can't hear or lose peripherial vision) don't add up to me. I ski the same way regardless of the helmet, and I noticed no loss in hearing or vision that made any difference at all.

I feel the same way about cycling. The helmet imposes no significant burden, and might result in better outcomes for certain types of crashes.

I don't think there should be a law requiring either bike helmets or ski helmets, but that doesn't mean they aren't a very good idea.

johnnymossville
03-18-2009, 07:12 PM
ya know they look pretty nice. I'm tempted on the black one with red bits.

thejen12
03-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Found this on their website, on the right-side bar on the products page:

Merino Wool % Black 43 Dk Green 22 Deep Oxide 12
Glacier 12 Olive 12 Mercury 12 Soft Blue12

Jenn

jscottyk
03-19-2009, 09:18 AM
This is from their blog (http://shuttvr.blogspot.com/2009/03/shutt-and-why.html) ...

"Our cycling jerseys are made with a fabric called Dri-wool this is of a similar construction to Sportwool and is in fact manufactured by the original manufacturers of that fabric. It keeps you cool when it’s hot, warm when it’s cold and has very high wicking capabilities. Merino wool woven with Polyester for the wools wicking and polyester` dispersal properties."

acorn_user
03-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Well, I contacted them, and they are looking for materials to make us a couple of jerseys in the colours of our school. Those will be nice. They've been very good about communication too.

RonW87
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the link. Pretty much confirms what I was told at Deer Valley earlier this year--they don't mandate helmet use, but the data suggests that helmets do help for low speed injuries that might otherwise be more serious.

I've been skiing since I was 5 (and suffice to say I am much older now!), and I never wore a helmet until the beginning of this season. I liked it--and I won't go back to no helmet. The arguments against helmets (that they inspire false confidence and increase recklessness, or that you can't hear or lose peripherial vision) don't add up to me. I ski the same way regardless of the helmet, and I noticed no loss in hearing or vision that made any difference at all.

I feel the same way about cycling. The helmet imposes no significant burden, and might result in better outcomes for certain types of crashes.

I don't think there should be a law requiring either bike helmets or ski helmets, but that doesn't mean they aren't a very good idea.

I was watching Larry King last night. The discussion was on helmet usage. The "expert", who was an MD, said that helmet use should be mandatory for skiing. Larry said asked about cycling and a few other sports (I forget which). The doctor agreed with Larry.

Now, I wear a helmet when I ski and when I bike. The problem I have with these comments is the lack of perspective. By most measures, driving or riding in a car is far more dangerous than skiing and cycling and head injuries due to car crashes are far more prevalent than those due to cycling or skiing.

Fatalities per million hours for the following activities are:

On-road Motorcycling 8.80
Scuba Diving 1.98
Living (all causes of death) 1.53
Swimming 1.07
Passenger cars .47
Water skiing .28
Bicycling .26

(Failure Associates http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/comparat.html)

I would have thought death and injuries due to head trauma would show similar correlations.

Therefore, even on a per capita basis (and of course, on an absolute basis, there are millions more in cars than cyclists or skiers), only after helmets are made mandatory for auto drivers and passengers should we even start talking about skiing and cycling.

Ron

rspecker
03-20-2009, 06:02 PM
I was watching Larry King last night. The discussion was on helmet usage. The "expert", who was an MD, said that helmet use should be mandatory for skiing. Larry said asked about cycling and a few other sports (I forget which). The doctor agreed with Larry.

Now, I wear a helmet when I ski and when I bike. The problem I have with these comments is the lack of perspective. By most measures, driving or riding in a car is far more dangerous than skiing and cycling and head injuries due to car crashes are far more prevalent than those due to cycling or skiing.

Fatalities per million hours for the following activities are:

On-road Motorcycling 8.80
Scuba Diving 1.98
Living (all causes of death) 1.53
Swimming 1.07
Passenger cars .47
Water skiing .28
Bicycling .26

(Failure Associates http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/comparat.html)

I would have thought death and injuries due to head trauma would show similar correlations.

Therefore, even on a per capita basis (and of course, on an absolute basis, there are millions more in cars than cyclists or skiers), only after helmets are made mandatory for auto drivers and passengers should we even start talking about skiing and cycling.

Ron
I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion--I don't think we should mandate helmet use for any of driving, skiing or biking. I just don't think it is a "one size fits all" issue.

But, as I said in my post, I do think that wearing helmets for skiing and biking makes sense, so I do it, because I'm fond of my head in the form, functionality and manner as it is currently attached to my neck.