PDA

View Full Version : tubular repair--what tube do you use

jimcav
03-18-2009, 11:06 AM
have a few tubular tires to repair. right now probably going to send them to tire alert versus trying it myself.
I have a veloflex, vittoria, and conti to do, which i believe are latex, latex, and butyl tubes inside. all 3 tires got flats really early in their life cycle, so i won't just carry them as spares.
what do you recommend for new tubes? I am under the impression the tire casing is the main thing as far as suppleness, so is butyl good enough or is there a reason to go for latex tubes
thanks
jim

R2D2
03-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Some Conti's can't be reapired in convetional fashion as they are vulcanized.
So are Tufo's.
If the hole is small try some Vittoria Pitstop or Tufo sealer.
The Pitstop is pretty easy.

jimcav
03-18-2009, 11:58 AM
So are Tufo's.
i've used pitstop successfully on others, but not on conti (failed) and based on the failure of similar sized cut, decided not to waste a can but repair instead

anyone--can i just use the same tube i'd use if i was replacing a clincher flat?

Auk
03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Unless I'm wrong (a possibility) Conti does not vulcanize their tubes to the tire. Which model are you referring?

And yes, I've used the same tube as my clincher uses. Even used a latex in one of my repairs. Both turned out fine.

So are Tufo's.

R2D2
03-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Unless I'm wrong (a possibility) Conti does not vulcanize their tubes to the tire. Which model are you referring?

And yes, I've used the same tube as my clincher uses. Even used a latex in one of my repairs. Both turned out fine.

GP4000

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-1-2-15907-1,00.html

tbushnel
03-18-2009, 04:19 PM
How big are the holes? Why not patch and boot? Seems like replaceing the whole tube would be alot of sewing. You could splice a new latex tube. I don't think you can do that with butyl tubes.
Where is 11.4 when you need him. I think we need to circulate his phone number (kidding),
ted

stackie
03-18-2009, 04:43 PM
I used to repair them in the days before Tire Alert and when I was a poor student. Find the leak, peel back base tape, cut open about 4 inches of tire (carefully), patch tube, sew closed with dental floss or 0-suture on a straight needle (if you have a source), glue base tape back on (I just used tire glue figuring if it was good enough for the rim-base tape it would be good enough for base tape to tire.

Cutting the entire tube out and sewing tire again sounds like way too much work. I know this is what Tire Alert does, but he has a machine to do it.

Jon

Louis
03-18-2009, 06:31 PM
What about for flats while out on the road?

Extra tire or Pit Stop?

Dekonick
03-18-2009, 08:15 PM
:beer: Extra tire - what if you end up with a slash...

thwart
03-19-2009, 02:27 PM
For me, both the PitStop and the tire.

And having ridden 5 miles on a flat when the PitStop failed... never again. You can't predict the size of the hole.

At least I can't...

djg
03-19-2009, 03:28 PM
GP4000

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-1-2-15907-1,00.html

I went through a pair of these -- I liked the tires and got them at a good price, but for the life of me, I couldn't see how one could repair them (other than by use of some sort of sealant). The issue wasn't the tube so much as the casing -- it wasn't clear how to open the thing up and close it again without making hash of it (and the base tape is really barely there -- thin sections of fabric).