PDA

View Full Version : Help me silence my bike

stackie
03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
So, I just recently rebuilt my bike and I'm having some seriously annoying noises.

Two separate noises occurring, I think.

1. Brooks swallow saddles. Creaks and cracks. I'm using a DA seatpost. I've heard that these can begin to click at the junction of the post and the head. Mine seems tight, but how can one really tell? The saddle creaks with any motion on it or over small road bumps. When I raise my lazy arse off it to stand, it will often give a solid crack. I've lubed every metal junction on the saddle, first with Prolink Gold, then with Phil's tenacious oil. I'm about to try WD-4o to see if it will penetrate, but I'm worried about getting that stuff on the leather. I've also greased the rails, the seatpost clamp and bolt, and the grooves in the interface of the clamp. What else?

2. The second noise is a crack or clunk that seems to be originating from the Shimano DA pedals (7810). I think I can even feel it in my feet. No relation to any particular point in the pedal stroke and certainly not on every stroke. Goes away if I stand (makes me think seat, but it really feels like the pedals. I've greased the threads of the pedal when I installed them. The crank is tight and has been greased at a recent rebuild. The chainring bolts are tight and installed with Loctite Red. The chain does not appear to have a stiff link and is well lubed with Prolink.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've been pretty embarassed riding this noisy thing around other people.

Thanks,

Jon

40x14
03-17-2009, 10:30 PM
#2 sounds like a bottom bracket lockring/adjustable cup.

As for the saddle, learn to love the sound of it?

stackie
03-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks, I'll check out the BB tomorrow night.

Jon

bagochips3
03-17-2009, 11:05 PM
I recently had these symptoms; or very very similar to them. The noise went away when I stood up, it didn't happen all the time, etc. I blamed it on my seat post shim (27.2 seat post, 30.0 seat tube). Then I noticed it started happening at a particular spot on the pedal stroke (this is how it differs from what you describe). Turned out to be the bottom bracket.

Ti Designs
03-18-2009, 03:28 AM
It's your knees - at least that's what I've been telling people about the noisese my makes...

Hardlyrob
03-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Another common culprit is the FD clamp - make sure there is some grease under it, and sometimes what seemed like a BB noise goes away.

Rob

Spinner
03-18-2009, 07:33 AM
... and forget about it.

garysol1
03-26-2009, 09:00 AM
... and forget about it.

OT....Spinner. Your in box is full. It will not accept messages.

MRB
03-26-2009, 09:42 AM
#2 Might be a pedal that is not tight in the crank. You might try putting a little torque on the pedal, so it is tight in the crank. Pedal wrenches are long for a reason.

majl
03-26-2009, 09:51 AM
I'd also like to hear if there's any solution to the creaky Brooks. I've got a newish Ti Swallow and was out on a nice peaceful ride weekend before last doing an extended climb with no other cyclists or vehicle traffic in sight and with every stroke of the pedal I hear this creaking coming from the saddle. :crap: Made me want to start riding with an iPod again.

bzbvh5
03-26-2009, 10:15 AM
My thinking is, one of the bearings might be worn or the post in the pedal might be bent.

palincss
03-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I'd also like to hear if there's any solution to the creaky Brooks. I've got a newish Ti Swallow and was out on a nice peaceful ride weekend before last doing an extended climb with no other cyclists or vehicle traffic in sight and with every stroke of the pedal I hear this creaking coming from the saddle. :crap: Made me want to start riding with an iPod again.

Sometimes a little grease on the adjustment bolt in the nose of the saddle helps.

R2D2
03-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Sometimes a little grease on the adjustment bolt in the nose of the saddle helps.
+1
Lube up where it insterts into nose piece.
Mine used too.
Now it doesn't.

mschol17
03-26-2009, 11:26 AM
If the bolt on the saddle is slightly loose it will creak. Tighten it ever so slightly.