PDA

View Full Version : remind me... first longer ride of season and knee pain

jmeloy
03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Took a long hard ride and began to experience what I'd call a grating pain up high behind my knee cap. New setup all around. After getting home I had a day or so of discomfort in climbing stairs but not in regular walking.
Seat too low or too far back?
Thanks!!

Dekonick
03-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Don't forget the 10% rule

Don't increase mileage by more than 10% a week or your connective tissue will let you know... (knee pain anyone?)

Could also be your position like you state.

Louis
03-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Don't forget the 10% rule

Don't increase mileage by more than 10% a week or your connective tissue will let you know... (knee pain anyone?)

I've heard of this rule, and try to follow something like that, but I wonder about it because it is so restrictive. Assuming a 10% increase per week it would take over 7 weeks (7.27 to be precise) to double my mileage. For me, starting off a very low winter base, it would take ages to work my way up if I did that.

Dekonick
03-17-2009, 11:43 PM
It takes your connective tissue a long time to build up - it doesnt have great blood supply...so... it just takes longer to build/repair.

Glucosamine, time, patience.

Avoid spring knee :)

Perhaps some of the sports medicine types can jump in with more advice...but the 10% rule has worked for me.

rustychisel
03-18-2009, 12:33 AM
[might] be seat too low. Too far back is more often going to draw a reaction from your hamstrings.

Mikej
03-18-2009, 05:56 AM
You need to get some body work to help stretch and loosen your quads, I'm talking IT, tfl, glutes and all. Not just grabbing your toe and pulling your leg back, but a sadistic swedish lady who causes your eyes to tear up when she runs her elbow down to your femur. A whole winter of couching it watching House has shortened everything in the wrong places. Good luck, go easy.

Geoff
03-18-2009, 06:41 AM
in general pain in the front is from a seat that is two low, that is if its your position that is causing the pain. Little changes go a long way. my knees always hurt at the begining of the season but goes away after about two weeks.

TimD
03-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Use lower gears for a while.

93legendti
03-18-2009, 07:57 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=647190&postcount=13

giordana93
03-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Took a long hard ride and began to experience what I'd call a grating pain up high behind my knee cap. New setup all around. After getting home I had a day or so of discomfort in climbing stairs but not in regular walking.
Seat too low or too far back?
Thanks!!

look up "spring knee." it can ruin your season and even your cycling days if you're not smart. The old standard was not a 10% rule; rather it was you need 500 base miles before doing anything like climbing or otherwise grinding. you can probably revise that down to 300 or so if you get them in a steady way (i.e. regular and steady mileage. not 75 per weekend over a month). it's not you muscles that need better conditioning and slow build up; they come along pretty quickly. it's your connective tissue. and if you screw that up you can kiss your season good bye. make sure you wear tights up to 60. do only easy mileage, only if it doesn't hurt. use ice. seat could be low, but if it's at same height as last year, could well be ok. you just went too hard too soon. curb your enthusiasm into technique and spinning, not mashing or climbing or racing fit friends

jmeloy
03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
after reading I am pretty sure that I just felt too good and pushed it too far. I'll remember the 10% rule as I was over like by 30%!