PDA

View Full Version : Eriksen seat post

victoryfactory
03-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Inspired by info here, I ordered the Eriksen Ti post.
What a beautiful design!
One thing to watch out for though. If you have carbon rails
on your saddle, his stock clamp won't fit!
There is a possibility to make a special clamp and maybe they will
eventually stock them.

VF

dogdriver
03-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Two words: BENCH GRINDER

victoryfactory
03-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Two words:

Emergency Room

SoCalSteve
03-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Does the clamping mechanism work anything like the Moots Cinch Post?

The Moots Cinch Post a true thing of beauty! 2 separate adjustments (fore-aft & tilt) completely independent from each other.

Only downside for me is that the setback is only 1.8.

How does the Erikson clamping mechanism work?

Thanks,

Steve

caleb
03-17-2009, 09:45 AM
I clamps from the sides like the new Moots post.

I think it says on the site that it won't work with carbon rails.

dekindy
03-17-2009, 09:46 AM
I looked at it in detail at NAHBS and got the explanations. You may have to e-mail them for clarification.

The clamp only fits standard 7mm rails. It uses side pressure rather than the traditional top/bottom pressure clamps. If I understand correctly the rational is to allow the seat rails to flex in the vertical plane giving more compliance since the rails are not constrained EDIT: vertically by the pressure of the clamping mechanism. There are two contact points on each rail.

EDIT: They do have a rational for their design. Clarify with them if you are interested.

Hope that helps.

BTW - the clamps come in multiple colors and if you want to change colors you can purchase them separately for $35 per set.

Bob Ross
03-17-2009, 09:48 AM
The Moots Cinch Post a true thing of beauty! 2 separate adjustments (fore-aft & tilt) completely independent from each other.

I've never seen (or even heard of) this Cinch Post; is it the same idea as the Salsa Shaft? I always loved the concept of keeping those two adjustments separate. I was all set to buy my wife a Salsa so she would quit asking me to make all her saddle adjustments, since she claims she's incapable of adjusting Fore-Aft without screwing up Tilt. :)

Louis
03-17-2009, 10:13 AM
If I understand correctly the rational is to allow the seat rails to flex in the vertical plane giving more compliance since the rails are not constrained by the pressure of the clamping mechanism.

The rails better be constrained! Otherwise, there won't be a whole lot of clamping going on.

Seriously, without them showing me actual numbers, I would be skeptical of any claims of significantly changed overall stiffness along the saddle's primary load path (sit bone area down to seat tube seatpost clamp) due to clamping on the sides vs. the top+bottom of the rails. You're still grabbing each rails at two points about 1.75" apart and hopefully preventing them from moving. Any other effects will be secondary, if not tertiary.

Louis

Kirk007
03-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Even without a rationale I love this post and clamp. It makes seat adjustment extremely easy as long as your comfortable with a level.

uno-speedo
03-17-2009, 02:58 PM
The Moots Cinch is a great seatpost.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2019/2401532443_49aa5754db_o.jpg

Louis
03-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Those posts may be cool. but in my opinion nothing beats the Thomson two-bolt system as far as adjustability goes. You can change it to your heart's content without worrying about the fore-aft position and the scale allows you to return to exactly the same spot every time. My only minor complaint is that the sockets of the allen head bolts sometimes get rounded out if guys over-torque them.

Kirk007
03-17-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm a big fan of Thomson as well, right up until you need a setback post (although those are slowly growing on me).

happycampyer
03-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Steve,

I have both posts, and the Eriksen clamp has a cleaner look than the Moots imo (and can be color matched with CK headsets, etc.), but it's a single bolt design—you loosen one bolt to make both fore/aft and tilt adjustments. The mechanism of the Moots cinch post is in a class by itself—it's truly ingenious. Polar opposite of the original Moots classic post, that needed snap ring pliers for you to install a saddle.

Both the Eriksen and Moots clamps require round, 7mm rails. I had heard that Kent was working on a clamp fitting that would work with the carbon Aliante rails, but apparently nothing has been released.

victoryfactory
03-18-2009, 04:48 AM
Katie told me that they are working on a clamp
For carbon rails and that they will send me one
I'll keep you "posted"

VF

Ray
03-18-2009, 05:04 AM
Those posts may be cool. but in my opinion nothing beats the Thomson two-bolt system as far as adjustability goes. You can change it to your heart's content without worrying about the fore-aft position and the scale allows you to return to exactly the same spot every time. My only minor complaint is that the sockets of the allen head bolts sometimes get rounded out if guys over-torque them.
With all respect, I'm not sure I get what's so easy about Thompson and other similarly designed two-bolt posts. Yeah, its easy enough to adjust tilt if you're sure you don't have to change height or fore-aft, but if you need to adjust fore-aft at all, you have to loosen both bolts to the point that the tilt goes out the window. Having a scale helps a lot to get back to the tilt you started at, but still, the adjustments are not independent.

I personally love posts like the Salsa and the American Classic (and a really ugly old Race Face mtb post) where the tilt adjustment is 100% independent of the fore-aft adjustment. On the Salsa, you don't even have to loosen the rails to adjust the tilt. On the American Classic you do have to loosen them a bit, but if you decided to change the fore-aft, the tilt is not affected at all. To me, that's the standard for ease of adjustment and getting a saddle really dialed in. If the new Erikson or Moots meets that, I'd like it too. The Salsa is the best post I've ever used for being able to duplicate a saddle position quickly and make minute adjustments on the road to get it perfectly dialed.

-Ray

Climb01742
03-18-2009, 05:54 AM
With all respect, I'm not sure I get what's so easy about Thompson and other similarly designed two-bolt posts.

ditto. i know it's all subjective and personal, but i find two-bolt posts a PIA. the ericksen post looks cool. bontrager posts are easy-to-adjust for me. but i still find shimano and campy single-bolt posts to be my favs. viva la difference.

happycampyer
03-18-2009, 06:02 AM
...If the new Erikson or Moots meets that, I'd like it too...
Ray,

The Moots post actually has two clamping mechanisms, one tightened with a 6mm hex wrench, and the other with a 5mm wrench (accessed internally through one side). Each one loosens up only one one adjustment aspect (tilt, fore/aft). With the Eriksen post, when you loosen up the bolt, the whole clamp comes loose.

vf,

Katie mentioned that to me over a year ago, so I wouldn't hold your breath. I think the problem is that there is no standard shape for carbon rails, so they would need to make them for specific saddles. And the carbon rails on the Aliante haven't stayed the same size over the years (Katie mentioned that the carbon-railed Aliante was one of the saddles that people mentioned the most). As I mentioned a while back in one of the Aliante threads, even the ti/kium-railed Aliante is a tight fit on the Eriksen clamp, since the shell had very little flex to spread the rails apart. It will go on the clamp though with some effort.

SpeedyChix
03-18-2009, 06:09 AM
I run the Eriksen post on most of my bikes now along with the Aliante ti/kium railed saddles. Love it. Secure clamp, easy on / off, quick set up.

Bob Ross
03-18-2009, 06:20 AM
With all respect, I'm not sure I get what's so easy about Thompson and other similarly designed two-bolt posts. Yeah, its easy enough to adjust tilt if you're sure you don't have to change height or fore-aft, but if you need to adjust fore-aft at all, you have to loosen both bolts to the point that the tilt goes out the window. Having a scale helps a lot to get back to the tilt you started at, but still, the adjustments are not independent.

I love you, man.

SoCalSteve
03-18-2009, 08:13 AM

I personally love posts like the Salsa and the American Classic (and a really ugly old Race Face mtb post) where the tilt adjustment is 100% independent of the fore-aft adjustment. On the Salsa, you don't even have to loosen the rails to adjust the tilt. On the American Classic you do have to loosen them a bit, but if you decided to change the fore-aft, the tilt is not affected at all. To me, that's the standard for ease of adjustment and getting a saddle really dialed in. If the new Erikson or Moots meets that, I'd like it too. The Salsa is the best post I've ever used for being able to duplicate a saddle position quickly and make minute adjustments on the road to get it perfectly dialed.

-Ray

This is what makes the Moots post the absolute finest piece of engineering. 2 completely seperate independent adjustments.

2 x negatives: Only works with 7mm round and only has 1.8 cm of setback.

Steve

Ray
03-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Ray,
The Moots post actually has two clamping mechanisms, one tightened with a 6mm hex wrench, and the other with a 5mm wrench (accessed internally through one side). Each one loosens up only one one adjustment aspect (tilt, fore/aft). With the Eriksen post, when you loosen up the bolt, the whole clamp comes loose.

Oh OK. I checked it out on the web and couldn't see how it worked, but I guess the internal 5mm tilt mechanism WOULDN'T show up. Thanks for the explanation. So, that one could be my new favorite in that it should work as well as the Salsa and the Salsa is a touch ugly (not that anyone can really see it when you're riding). OTOH, the Thompson is about, what, a fourth of the price of the moots? So, I'll probably stick with the Salsa but maybe I'll put a Moots on my birthday list someday.

-Ray