PDA

View Full Version : Bontrager saddles made by Selle San Marco?

dekindy
03-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Is it true that Selle San Marco makes many of Bontrager's saddles and all of the high end ones?
EDIT: This may be ancient history but I saw it discussed and was curious.

Which Bontrager model would be comparable to the Concor?

Charles M
03-16-2009, 03:59 PM
San Marco are making the concor again... limited I think.

Email Bikemine to see who has what.

Moontrane
03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Bonti was having SSM make their saddles in the past. Some were just rebadged SSM saddles. I didn’t know that SSM was still making saddles for Bonti.

Slightly related – Armstrong rode the Concor for all his Tour wins but is riding a Bonti saddle now. At the finish area of the ToC there was a display of Armstrong’s bike. I pressed on the saddle and found it quite firm. I asked the Bontrager rep about it and, sure enough, he said that the padding was customized to be more firm for Armstrong.

The Bonti saddle below is different from the one i saw on his bike.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/tech/probikes/lance_armstrong_trek_livestrong09/IMG_1755.jpg

peanutgallery
03-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Is it true that Selle San Marco makes many of Bontrager's saddles and all of the high end ones?

Which Bontrager model would be comparable to the Concor?

In the olden days, before Trek. There was a very nice saddle that San Marco made for Bontranger and I believe it was just the Bontranger saddle. MTB oriented, but loved it and wore out several back in the day on the road bike.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/saddles/marco.shtml

Not sure what has happened since, I can honestly say that I have paid very little attention to Bontranger since the Trek purchase. Back then, Keith made a lot of innovative products for the MTB that were pretty neat. A suspension specific frame, the suspension fork crown, MTB specific rims that didn't weigh a ton and last but not least, the MTB specific saddle.

Kevin Grady
03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Those things hurt, unless you had narrow width between your ischial tuberosities. Ouch!!! There is a reason that they did not last long.