PDA

View Full Version : OT: Jazz in New Orleans

MarinRider
03-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Finding myself in New Orleans today for a business meeting in the French Quarters.

Anyone can recommend a good place to see local jazz within walking distane?
Lokking for old school marching band style happy jazz.

Just for tonight, going back tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks!

giordana93
03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
1. be careful walking in New Orleans. stay within the quarter
2. the quarter is mostly tourist traps; a couple of the hotels might have something, but there's a little more action in the faubourg marigny ("kind of" walking distance, down river past esplanade). snug harbor is the marsalis family club. If you're already closer to canal street (up river border to the quarter) you're also close to the warehouse district, which is ok. grab one of the local free press papers, they list all the gigs
3. be careful walking in New Orleans. do NOT go north (away from the river, going up canal street) more than a few blocks, and always choose the more-traveled streets. ask hotel staff for tips too

actually, I obviously just had a brain fart and completely forgot the exact place you need to go, if it's not too late: preservation hall is perfect. in the middle of the quarter on st-peter's street next to famous bar "pat obrien's" --and the latter has a decent piano bar within, worth checking out if you miss the show at preservation, which is earlier than most, but very traditional. show time is at 8, iirc
http://www.preservationhall.com/hall/index.htm

MarinRider
03-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Preservation hall was great. It was packed on a Monday night. I sat on the floor 2 feet in front of the trumpet player. It was simply fantastic.

Thank you for the recommendation.