PDA

View Full Version : Park tool kits

gemship
03-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Well I'm excited. I just pulled the trigger on a Park ak-37 tool kit. So now I should have everything I need to do almost every repair on my Shimano equipped bikes.There's even a couple of Campy specific tools too. It was kind of expensive as I'm just not the type to get too horny over spending more than twenty bucks on a tool but when you add several tools ranging in price of ten to twenty bucks 218 shipped seems to make sense. This is the first time I ever bought a tool to fix my bicycle excluding tire levers.

I wonder if I should go a step further and get a bike repair stand?

maunahaole
03-15-2009, 12:44 PM
yes. It beats most of the alternatives.

gemship
03-15-2009, 12:49 PM
yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I loathe the idea of working on nicer road bikes upside down although I'm okay with that as far as the commuter/workhorse goes. I also thought I could do quite a bit with the bike set up in the trainer but still it just isn't the same as having both wheels off the ground and the bike hight enough to be a bit more civilized.

xjoex
03-15-2009, 12:58 PM
A stand is key, it makes the work a lot more enjoyable.

In my basement I have a PCS-10: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2007/05/park-pcs-10-bike-stand-good-stuff.html

In my garage I keep a cheap Velo Orange two leg bike stand :
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2008/08/review-velo-orange-two-leg-stand.html

I use that for quick repairs and cleaning the bikes with the hose.

-Joe

gemship
03-15-2009, 01:17 PM
A stand is key, it makes the work a lot more enjoyable.

In my basement I have a PCS-10: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2007/05/park-pcs-10-bike-stand-good-stuff.html

In my garage I keep a cheap Velo Orange two leg bike stand :
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2008/08/review-velo-orange-two-leg-stand.html

I use that for quick repairs and cleaning the bikes with the hose.

-Joe

very cool I noticed the same ebay seller for the tool kit listed this stand also as well as the PCS-9 model which was 108 shipped. I think that's a fair deal. Great pics by the way, looks very pro.

vqdriver
03-15-2009, 02:55 PM
one thing to consider is a wall/tabletop mount. costs about the same, if not less.
if you have a workbench it's nice to use the tabletop mount which i've found to be a little steadier since it doesn't have the long legs, but the big benefit is having open space underneath the bike. maybe i'm just a clutz, but i always find the floorstand's 'feet' get in my way. plus it saves some floor space.

avalonracing
03-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Get a decent stand. It will last you a decade or even a lifetime. A portable one is nice if you race or travel to events. A crappy one is almost more trouble than it is worth.

Bruce K
03-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Wow, if you're that cheap you could have just rolled over here to Magnolia and used mine! ;) :D :rolleyes:

As others have said, a stand is a definite need to make life easier. If you can find one of the Ultimate stands with the wheel truing attachment, even better. They're not as good as a pro set-up but they work well enough for the little tweaks you sometime get from the North Shore Pot Hole Patrol.

BK

gemship
03-15-2009, 09:26 PM
ha,ha. Too funny Bruce yet so true. I can't help being cheap, I blame my folks but I am on a budget and the budget must make room for a decent stand. Surprisingly enough the wheels on the old commuter have stayed pretty true despite the Northshore Pot Hole Patrol's best efforts.Unfortunately the drivetrain has taken a beating in the past year and half since it was new. I think I let the chain go dry a little too much and a few teeth are missing on a couple of the cassette gears not to mention the big chainring has nice shark teeth the middle ring not too far off. For now she rides okay but in the very near future I see a extensive overhaul. This is one of four bikes that I have and I spend the most time riding. I'm actually pretty impressed that I could wear out the drivetrain on a bicycle.

Bruce K
03-16-2009, 03:53 AM
I have a couple of used 9 speed Shimano cassettes in the bsement that I was planning to inventory and sell off. Maybe a couple of chain rings as well.

Let me know what you need and I'll see if I've got one.

BK