PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up Device

Ken Robb
12-11-2004, 05:55 PM
I think I need a Heads Up for the Legend. I have too much steerer above the headset. At 40+mph I can feel it flex a little. Anyone have any comments about the heads up? Anybody have one for sale?

davep
12-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Only comment, as far as I know the Heads Up is only for 1" head tubes.

Smiley
12-12-2004, 07:41 AM
Ken , they are made by Serotta for 1 inch steerer's like Dave has said , I have them re-fitted on my wife's and my bike . We switched from quill to threadless and we needed them to make up the height difference . Its really a must with a carbon 1 inch steerer. As for your case , if your using a 1 1/8 carbon steerer they should be good with no more than 3.8 mm of spacers , heck I say 4 cm total below the stem . Are you using more than this and if not and your getting flex which surprises me then try another stem with a rise to minimize the flex and see if this works . If it does then send the frame back and get a longer steerer installed .

Larry
12-12-2004, 08:31 AM
I use a Heads Up on my 1998 CSi.
I switched from an F1 threaded system to a one inch Ouzo Pro with Chris King Headset and 46mm Bontrager bars with a Ritchey WCS stem.
I have not ridden it hard yet, but, on short rides, I am impressed with the feel of the set-up.
It seems rock solid, and even a better ride than the old F1 fork, which I liked a lot.

The Heads Up fits like a head set, and Serotta has said it is stronger than the
standard head tube extended. It is also a beautiful piece of machining.
Be sure to get the Serotta ti spacers to match. I use all 3, and I am not sensing a flex problem at this point. It seems to be more than adequately strong, and I think it is an improvement from the old quill style stem.
It would seem that they are out of stock for now with more units on the way.

Larry

Too Tall
12-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Ken, back to basics. How much space is there below the stem?

Larry
12-13-2004, 12:08 AM
30 mm on a one inch steerer.

Larry

Larry
12-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Reynolds says that you should not exceed one inch in spacers for a one inch carbon steerer. Flex supposedly.

Serotta, I believe, gives a little more distance at 30 mm..... all 3 spacers stacked together below the stem. Looks and works fine for me. I do not sense a problem with flex or insecurity.

Larry

pdonk
12-13-2004, 07:17 AM
New guy here, hope I am not breaking any "rules" by doing this. Not mine. I have no interest in this auction.

One is currently on ebay with a CK headset.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42319&item=7120063840&rd=1

Ken Robb
12-13-2004, 11:39 AM
I saw that but he says he's selling them together because he can't get them apart. I thought the head up device was to be pressed into the head tube so this may be unusable.

NateM
12-13-2004, 12:27 PM
For what its worth; I have a heads up/King headset on my Serotta Ti that I removed in order to have Chris King replace the bearing on the Headset. They sent the unit back saying they relubed the bearing but could not replace it due to the Heads up getting in the way of the bearing puller. If anyone can figure out how to seperate the two, or pull the bearing on the headset once joined,let me know. My mistake for using a 9 year old King headset. Its back on the bike and solid as can be,much nicer than a huge stack of spacers.

Ken Robb
12-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Too Tall: there are 2 20mm spacers now which is more than recommended. A heads up should repalce 20mm and maybe solve this little problem. The stem is 10 degree up now and I found a Richey adjustable that looked like the best of that type on line. Anybody ever see one in the flesh, er, alloy?

Too Tall
12-15-2004, 08:20 AM
Ken, how about a threadless steerer extension? They are very ugly but will help you find what's going to work for you at a fairly low cost.

Ken Robb
12-15-2004, 11:22 AM
the steerer is plenty long; it just needs a wee bit more support.