PDA

View Full Version : Selling on ebay.

tuscanyswe
03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Can some1 help me out here.

What fees will you have to calculate when selling on ebay.
Theres obviously listing fees but this seem pretty straightforward. It actually says what your ad will cost b4 you list it.

But then what.

There are paypal fees and those seem to be hard to figure out since they seem to vary, atleast thats my experience. However they are not very large and these apply even outside of ebay or is it perhaps a larger fee for ebay items?

Does ebay also take a cut from the final salesprice? if so how much, im assuming its a procentage?

Thanks for getting me up to speed.

markberra
03-12-2009, 03:03 PM
they will charge a final value fee which typically will be much more than the insertion fee. Paypal typically charge ~3%.

Ebay fees here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

tuscanyswe
03-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Thank you, thats all the info i needed.

Cheers

keithreynolds
03-12-2009, 03:14 PM
ebay fee calculator
http://www.rolbe.com/ebay.htm

paypal calculator
http://www.rolbe.com/paypal.htm

tuscanyswe
03-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks for those calculators they might be handy.

So i sold my first item on ebay, strangely for more than my BIN. How could that be?

Also i was paid the full amount for item + shipping with no fees from ebay deducted. When will ebay take their cut?

Thanks
B

SoCalSteve
03-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for those calculators they might be handy.

So i sold my first item on ebay, strangely for more than my BIN. How could that be?

Also i was paid the full amount for item + shipping with no fees from ebay deducted. When will ebay take their cut?

Thanks
B

You will get an invoice at the end of your billing cycle. At that point you can pay via Paypal or a credit card that you have on file with them. They will give you the option. The transaction that you had with the buyer is completely independent of the transaction (commission they charge) with ebay.

Dont be suprised when you see how much they charge. Their fee's have gone up signifigantly in recent years.

Good luck!

Steve

tuscanyswe
03-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Thx

Sounds scary :D

97CSI
03-14-2009, 06:23 PM
So i sold my first item on ebay, strangely for more than my BIN. How could that be? Thanks
BOnce someone bids above your reserve price, or, lacking a reserve, any amount above your starting price, the BIN option disappears and it becomes a normal auction.

tuscanyswe
03-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Oh i c.

Thats weird. That means you cant set a low or no reserve auction with a competetive buy it now. Alittle weird but good to know.

97CSI
03-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Not weird from eBay's perspective. They want you to pay them the $2 for setting a reserve price and a fee of at least the BIN price once you've set said reserve. Can you say, "more money for eBay". While I use both eBay and Paypal, I always price in their fees and generally think they are a ripoff. But, they are pretty much the only game in town to reach a large audience. And, shipping has gone nuts. Doesn't matter that fuel costs are half what they were about a year ago. Shipping costs have continued to climb.

tuscanyswe
03-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Not weird from eBay's perspective. They want you to pay them the $2 for setting a reserve price and a fee of at least the BIN price once you've set said reserve. Can you say, "more money for eBay". While I use both eBay and Paypal, I always price in their fees and generally think they are a ripoff. But, they are pretty much the only game in town to reach a large audience. And, shipping has gone nuts. Doesn't matter that fuel costs are half what they were about a year ago. Shipping costs have continued to climb.

No guess not. But to do it in such obvious manner is.. i guess my thinking, whats good for the customer is in the long run good for your business, is long gone.

could you further explain the highlighted part pls.

rugbysecondrow
03-14-2009, 08:07 PM
You will get an invoice at the end of your billing cycle. At that point you can pay via Paypal or a credit card that you have on file with them. They will give you the option. The transaction that you had with the buyer is completely independent of the transaction (commission they charge) with ebay.

Dont be suprised when you see how much they charge. Their fee's have gone up signifigantly in recent years.

Good luck!

Steve

It is a pretty seamless process. I actually think the fees are very reasonable, especially in comparison to what costs were to put an ad in the Newspaper Classifieds back in the day.

Cheers

toasttoast
03-15-2009, 04:04 AM
one bit of advice: be sure to report unpaid items. if you sell a bunch of things and three different $10 auctions go unpaid, eBay will still add their percentage of the sale to your tab unless you tell them "Hey, this didn't really sell"

but this isn't so important if you are just doing one or two things at a time

tuscanyswe
03-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Yeah will ofc keep on top of tabs.

However its not like im going powerseller.. i just want to sell some bike stuff frmo time to time.

Thx