PDA

View Full Version : Trainers & Frame Stress

Samster
03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
sometime ago i remember reading/hearing that riding a bike on a trainer (like cyclops) is rougher on the frame than just road riding (crashes aside). is this true?

false_Aest
03-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Sure it is if you're riding it the wrong way.

Imagine a doofus clamping the rear axle, throwing in a Beta tape version of the 1982 TdF Mt Stage and then trying to throw his bike around just like on TV.

You could also crank the whosamajiggit too tight.

Several companies don't say that they won't warranty a frame if its been in a trainer....

Peter P.
03-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Look at it this way: As far as I know, no manufacturer voids their frame warranty if you use your bike on a trainer. So it must be safe, no?

And if it ISN'T, then ride that sucker on your trainer like mad so it breaks. Then you're guaranteed a new frame under warranty!

This will be the greatest scam going until the manufacturers wise up.

false_Aest
03-12-2009, 08:03 PM
As per Se7en's website:

"The Aerios, Elium Race, Elium SG, and ID8 are optimized for normal road riding conditions, and not designed for fixed stationary trainers. Use of a stationary trainer with any clamping mechanism will void the manufacturer's warranty." (http://www.sevencycles.com/Warranty.php)

I think there are other brands that have similar wording.

katematt
03-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Probably carbon, but what damage could be done to a steel frame? I have a carbon currently on a trainer and was just wondering the other day as I was clamping my 1-up pretty hard with carbon drop outs.

Been on rollers mostly this winter, they can't void a warranty for that, unless I fall over.

Samster
03-12-2009, 10:18 PM
personally, i think this may be a non-issue.

Ti Designs
03-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Probably carbon, but what damage could be done to a steel frame?

Rust?

I use trainers for a lot of my coaching - it's true isolation, you control the resistance, there's no changes, no traffic, no potholes... The one key is to never let the rider generate force that can't be generated while riding the bike. Using the fixed position of the bike to generate power is pointless, it's learning something that can't be used on the road. Learning the pedal stroke in total isolation so you can figure out how the quads fire over the top, how the glutes only push down, how the hamstrings pull back and how the hip flexors pull up should only make you smoother on the bike - even at full throttle.

xjoex
03-13-2009, 08:29 AM
I have a seven with carbon seat stays, I asked seven about using it in a trainer and they said it was not a good idea and I should not do it.

-Joe

rugbysecondrow
03-13-2009, 08:52 AM
I bought a cheap bike for use in just the trainer. One for the frame, but two for the extra wear and tear on tires, drivetrain, shifters etc.

I spent 60 bucks on a Cannondale r400 with brakes that don't work, but that is worth the piece of mind as well as keep the wear and tear off of my other bikes.

jbrainin
03-13-2009, 09:36 AM
I've got a cheap aluminum Trek on my trainer. It's nearly made it through its third season with no (apparent) ill effects.

92degrees
03-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Rollers.