PDA

View Full Version : campy/shimano comparo

Ken Robb
12-11-2004, 05:27 PM
OK, we swapped the Campy 10 spd 11-23 cassette that I had with my 10 spd DuraAce drive train for a 10 spd Ultegra. (too much Scottish blood to pay $170 for Dura Ace). The campy worked ok but not great. The all Shimano set-up is outstanding. The mismatched setup would be fine in a pinch but it's not something I can recommend for long term happiness. The cool thing about Ksyriums and Spinergy wheels is we can swap freewheels easily and use the same wheels with Campy or Shimano. For the Campy lover this should make it lots easier to find used wheels at a good price as there are so many more Shimano compatible for sale than the rarely seen Campy.

Dave
12-11-2004, 05:46 PM
The numbers don't lie. Mismatched cog spacing should be avoided if you want simpler derailleur adjustment and the most precise shifting. Fortunately, there is little reason to used a mismatched cassette. The vast majority of hubs are available with either campy and shimano cassette bodies. Mavic's line of FTS-L hubs have interchangeable cassette bodies.

Even Campy sells Shimano compatible factory built wheels.

Chris King is about the only major hold-out for shimano only.