PDA

View Full Version : OT: New ipod shuffle

gemship
03-11-2009, 10:02 PM
So my 6 year old imac finally started to really act up on me. It needed a new motherboard after getting a power surge zap due to a lightning strike three years ago. Anyway I finally broke down and bought a macbook. What a awesome computer. I have the 13" model with the aluminum body, a little pricey at 1300 but so sweet in every way. Anyway now I'm on Apple's mailing list and I'm constantly bombarded with ads for their latest products. I was thinking about getting a set of speakers for music in the house as the ones in the macbook have a tinny sound but I think this ipod shuffle may be a better cost alternative and something I would be tempted to use on rides.
http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/?sr=hotnews

tylercheung
03-11-2009, 10:37 PM
i bought the audioengine speakers, which are pretty awesome, but I think most decent 2.1 or 5.1 speakers will do.

I tried riding with an ipod but stopped. it's much more dangerous not being able to hear oncoming cars....

avalonracing
03-11-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm a big fan of Apple products. My Powerbook is great and I'm still thrilled with my first gen iPhone that I bought the month that they were released. The new shuffle is so small that it is more of pair of earbuds with an attachment than the other way around.

gemship
03-11-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm a big fan of Apple products. My Powerbook is great and I'm still thrilled with my first gen iPhone that I bought the month that they were released. The new shuffle is so small that it is more of pair of earbuds with an attachment than the other way around.

oh yeah it's small size is very impressive and I think it seems reasonably priced at 79$

BumbleBeeDave
03-11-2009, 11:02 PM
. . . but also notice that with the controls on the earbud cord it would seem that Apple's would be the only earbuds you can use with it. Gee, I wonder if they will go that route with the other iPods, too? Naw, Apple would never do that to us . . .

And what, no funky colors? :crap:

If the present one is small enough for you and you like the colors, snap one up now. There will be some good deals.

BBD

Lifelover
03-11-2009, 11:06 PM
There is a point where it is small enough and has enough memory.

Save yourself $20 and get a refurbished 2G iShuffle (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod?mco=MTE3Njc).

I got one back in August and love it.

I use mine for walking. ATMO, hearing is not the issue for me when riding with it. I'm surprised how well I can still hear. It's a matter of distraction. I can deal with it walking, but your speed on a bike is too great for me to risk riding with it.

BumbleBeeDave
03-11-2009, 11:08 PM
. . . and some cheap earbuds, a mono converter plug, cut one earbud off, and have a perfect one ear setup for riding. can't do that with this new one with the cord controls.--at least, I don't think you'd be able to.

BBD

gemship
03-11-2009, 11:11 PM
There is a point where it is small enough and has enough memory.

Save yourself $20 and get a refurbished 2G iShuffle (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod?mco=MTE3Njc).

I got one back in August and love it.

I use mine for walking. ATMO, hearing is not the issue for me when riding with it. I'm surprised how well I can still hear. It's a matter of distraction. I can deal with it walking, but your speed on a bike is too great for me to risk riding with it.

Yeah I'm so clueless about Apple stuff. I like the 2G as well, very small.

gemship
03-11-2009, 11:14 PM
. . . and some cheap earbuds, a mono converter plug, cut one earbud off, and have a perfect one ear setup for riding. can't do that with this new one with the cord controls.--at least, I don't think you'd be able to.

BBD

Ha,ha that's a really good idea. I like it. You know one thing that bugs me about all this stuff is I'll have to now subscribe to the itunes store and spend a small fortune on songs. Before you know it I'll be upgrading my hard drive on the Macbook to make more room :rolleyes:

GuyGadois
03-12-2009, 01:33 AM
I have only seen pics of the new shuffle and I have a couple concerns. It looks as though you can only advance the songs via the earbuds. Does this mean you can only use theirs? That may be a problem down the road. Does this also mean I have to find the moving piece on the earbud cord (which is probably moving)? I like the changer on the ipod itself as I attach it to my bib strap.

Second, the shape looks more cumbersome. The older square design fits perfectly as is not sure how a rectangle will fit under the jersey.

All this without actually holding it and testing it in person, though.

-GG-

Jawn P
03-12-2009, 01:41 AM
Apple is working with third party manufacturers in developing headphones.

Also, this thing is the size of a double A battery, so it shouldn't be too cumbersome.

My first Generation shuffle will never die, so no real need to replace it. Pretty crazy to think I paid $150 for 1GB :crap:

rinconryder
03-12-2009, 02:13 AM
The previous shuffle is already small as is - which equates too easy to LOSE! I keep the earphones attached to mine all the time so I can find the darn thing when I put it away. I don't like this version - give me some controls on the unit itself so that I can use whatever headphones I like.

William
03-12-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm still using my square shuffle and I've had no proplems with it at all. Yes, being so small I have lost it a couple of times. But it's usually because I set it down someplace other then where I usually keep it. I don't use the buds that came with it since I pretty much just use it to plug into the stereo at the gym for my classes.

I just picked up the 24" iMac day before yesterday...and let me tell you this sucker just blows me away. We were looking at the smaller version but Mac just dropped the price on these and the larger screen and twice the RAM convinced us to go for it. Amazing machine. I'm in the process of migrating files from the old machine.

William

rugbysecondrow
03-12-2009, 08:04 AM
The square Shuffle is the prefect size for working out. Small, thumb size wheel and it is just big enough that it is harder to loose. I have used my shuffle everyday since it came out (and the rectangular one before that) so I am a fan. I have a few issues with the new one (as I have seen it online only).

The first and main one is the lack of controls on the unit itself. I think most people use the suffle for working out, and the ear buds are not good for that. Jogging, jumping rope...anything that would create a jostle effect loosens them some. I have a pair of $15 headphones that wrap around the ear and work well with the 2gig shuffle I have. The last thing I want to to have to pay 40 bucks for a new set of dedicated head phones.

The second issue is that I like to run the headphone cord under my shirt so that it doesn't interfer with weights or dangle while running or working out in general. I would not be able to do that with this unit as it's in-line controls would then be inaccessable. This would be troublesome for the winter time where layering is an issue.

Third, I don't like the idea of a voice over effect. The premise behind the shuffle was that it is simple, straight forward, no frill MP3...that concept is lost.

Lastly, I think this unit is more cumbersome because it is no longer self contained. By that I mean the square shuffle had all the controls at the same point. The new shuffles spreads them out and now you need two units to operate it. One is worthless without the other.

If you want an MP3 for a stereo, get a NANO or full blow IPOD. If you are wanting one for working out, get the Previous Generation Square 2gig Shuffle.

Cheers

victoryfactory
03-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Despite what their clever advertising implies,
Apple are the real control freaks

VF

giordana93
03-12-2009, 08:34 AM
does the shuffle still only allow you 2 modes for re-play: either shuffle or the order in which music was put on? in other words, with the older shuffles, you cannot navigate to a particular song/album, just the 2 options above. that's fine for running or something, but not for everyday functionality. by the way, if you MUST use an ipod on a ride, use only the right phone, leaving your left ear open for traffic. too easy to zone out otherwise and die. seriously.
btw I love apple, but would consider a cheapo mp3 player in the shuffle's price range if it's to be subjected to sweat, workouts, etc. for around the house, though, get a nano or sth. with a larger capacity and ability to navigate to songs, not random shuffle.

avalonracing
03-12-2009, 08:35 AM
. . . and some cheap earbuds, a mono converter plug, cut one earbud off, and have a perfect one ear setup for riding.

Just like a transistor radio from 1962! :rolleyes:

BumbleBeeDave
03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
. . . exactly how the shuffle algorithm works. Is it a true random algorithm that is never predictable? Or have they taken the easy way out by simply programming in a set "random" play order, such as 4-67-34-79-1-24 . . . etc. If it's a set "random" order then it would be possible to program your music at least two different ways if you could deduce the "random" play order.

BBD

xjoex
03-12-2009, 09:53 AM
I really liked the first ipod shuffle. I was bummed when the 2nd gen had no built in usb connectivity, one more thing to carry on a business trip.

But now I really like my 2nd gen shuffle. I use it running and mtn bikiing. The clip makes it so easy to snap to your bike shorts and head out on a mtn ride.

Maybe the 3rd will be cool after I get a bit of time with it. Well my current 2nd gen ipod will easily last 4 or 5 more years until too much sweat kills it and I need a new one. Wonder how small the 4gen ipod will be?

-Joe

johnnymossville
03-12-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't really like riding outside with my shuffle, but love it inside on the trainer. It makes the trainer tolerable for about an hour. The new shuffle looks nice.

deechee
03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
i dont have a real shuffle but I have a 10$ knock off that works just as well, and I personally have no problem sweating all over it.

That said, I've heard regular shuffles and sound quality is mediocre; I hook up my larger archos to speakers when I'm on the trainer... (or the laptop)

avalonracing
03-12-2009, 11:32 AM
If the sound quality wasn't good it is because of the headphones. While it isn't like listening to a $100K audiophile system they do have more fidelity than most of us can hear.

Keith A
03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Despite what their clever advertising implies,
Apple are the real control freaksI agree with you. We recently bought our daughter an iPod Touch and you couldn't do anything with it until you downloaded and installed iTunes on your computer :crap:

gemship
03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
. . . exactly how the shuffle algorithm works. Is it a true random algorithm that is never predictable? Or have they taken the easy way out by simply programming in a set "random" play order, such as 4-67-34-79-1-24 . . . etc. If it's a set "random" order then it would be possible to program your music at least two different ways if you could deduce the "random" play order.

BBD

Yes this is all news to me. In the Apple demonstration video the girl indicates use of the control in the earbud wire and having the ability to select playlist. Although it doesn't have a screen to view this new ipod shuffle talks to the listener.

Tom
03-12-2009, 01:57 PM

BBD

I don't think it is just by a random number generator. I happen to have playlists where the same songs appear in the same order, even when I tell it to re-shuffle and the other ones get switched around. I've noticed that tunes that have certain musical similarities will end up together, also sometimes if two tunes (say tracks 2 and 10) came from the same album they'll always stick together. In other cases, not true. There aren't a lot of 'train wrecks' in my playlists though there could be, because my bike playlists will combine blues, americana, reggae and jazz in whatever combo struck my fancy that day.

BumbleBeeDave
03-12-2009, 02:16 PM
. . . if it's possible to finagle the features to get more control than they would have you think. Even if it's a true "random" generator, the shorter your playlist, the more chance there will be that several songs might play close to each other in order more than once.

But that's just my wondering on the 2nd gen. On this third gen, if it really does talk to you with the commands, then it would indeed seem possible to have several play lists and choose between them by hearing it tell you which playlist is next up and asking you if you want to play that one or go on to the next one.

Either way, I'm just amazed at how much capability they are building into such a small package, given the size. I'm also wondering why they are bothering with the shuffle body itself at all and the clumsiness the cord adds to the whole affair. Given the size they are touting, it would seem they could easily make the whole thing the size of a bluetooth earpiece with some sort of wire going around the head to the other earbud. One of the big reasons i've never invested in a player like this for exercise is because of the inconvenience of the headphone cord.

BBD

rpm
03-12-2009, 03:00 PM
. . Given the size they are touting, it would seem they could easily make the whole thing the size of a bluetooth earpiece with some sort of wire going around the head to the other earbud. One of the big reasons i've never invested in a player like this for exercise is because of the inconvenience of the headphone cord.

BBD

It's been done. I have this and it works great for the 2nd generation Shuffle:

http://arriva.com/

David Pogue of the NY Times likes it too, an laments its current unvavailability on the new shuffle:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/11/an-ipod-so-small-its-controls-are-found-on-the-cord/