PDA

View Full Version : Want Group for a used Serotta - advise needed

356a
03-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I bought a used serotta ottrott (got a great deal) and need to build it up. (I don't deserve that nice of a bike but the price was great).

What group do you recommend? dura ace or ultegra? current or older version? New or used?

I am 200lbs (fit) and I bike only weekly.

Also, any place you recommend buying the group?

johnnymossville
03-11-2009, 05:52 PM
The frame probably deserves Dura-Ace, but I've used the new Ultegra SL stuff and it works incredibly well. You'd be happy with both I think.

As where to buy. I couldn't tell you. It seems like totalcycling.com are always having some pretty good deals on the stuff. Take a look at the Ultegra SL.

*you may want to take a look at the 2009 SRAM Rival stuff too. Light, works and looks great also. Good Value for what you're getting.

Nice frame you have there. Congrats.

maunahaole
03-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Probike kit (as of yesterday) had 2009 Centaur groups for just over 600 frn. Pretty smoking deal on a nice gruppo.

false_Aest
03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Eh,

Cheapist I found for Ultegra SL was Chain Reaction. But that was about a month ago.

Save $$, buy Ultegra and spend the $$ you saved on wheels...

TiDesigns might sell you his 4x/2x set of wheels from the glory days.

Jeff N.
03-11-2009, 09:22 PM
I've got a full Ultegra 6600 10-speed group, with wheels & Flightdeck computer for $700.00! You ain't gonna beat that anywhere. All is as new. Does that help you decide? Jeff N. jefftnix@aol.com

gemship
03-11-2009, 09:29 PM
One more vote for Ultegra SL. It's a great group, nothing to sniffle at. The only reason you don't see it in the Pro peloton is because those guys get sponsored to ride flagship whatever. Its a fine group and so is just plain Ultegra for that matter.

avalonracing
03-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Jeff's group sounds like a deal. You can always hang it on your bike, ride it and if you don't like it you can upgrade what you don't like, part it out later or put it on another bike.
If you got a good deal on the frameset put this on and you have a great deal on an almost complete bike.

356a
03-11-2009, 10:40 PM
quick question on ultegra SL - is that better than dura ace 7800 for the same price?