PDA

View Full Version : OT: Which Hawaiian Island do you like the most and why?

Jeff N.
03-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Trying to decide which one to go to this summer. Thanks, Jeff N.

Dekonick
03-11-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't know - but would love to visit one day! :beer:

chuckred
03-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Just because...http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/chuckred/NapaliCoast5.jpghttp://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/chuckred/GillensBayMahaulepuBeaches.jpg

rpm
03-11-2009, 12:41 PM
The Big Island. It's as large as the other islands put together, and it has a huge variety of things to do: the volcano, rain forest hikes, bird watching, snorkeling, swimming at world class beaches, star gazing on Mauna Kea, visiting coffee plantations, macadamia nut farms, and the country's only vanilla farm, and great biking on and off road, of course.

And in 10 days, I'll be there! :banana: :banana: :banana:

CNY rider
03-11-2009, 12:52 PM
It's kind of like asking me to go to NAHBS and pick just one .
My 2 faves: Big Island and Kauai.
Whatever you do make sure you get off the beaten "tourist" path and go see cool stuff like the Na Pali coast, or the active volcano on the Big Island.
I really don't think you can lose going to any of the Hawaiian islands.

Enjoy!

hochstes73
03-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Some of the other posters have already chimed in and I'll add some of the same info: It really depends on what you are looking for. If you want touristy all inclusive resorts - go to Maui. If you want a shopping/metropolitan vibe - head to Honolulu.

My favorite is the big island of Hawaii because it is more relaxed/native and less 'tour-isty' then the other islands. The Volcanoes National Park was AMAZING. My wife and I spent 2 solid 10+ hr days hiking and wish we would have had more time (and my wife is NOT a hiker). The scenery was amazing. There are beautiful beaches on the Kona coast and enough 'resorty' stuff to keep you busy.

malcolm
03-11-2009, 01:20 PM
I was stationed in Hawaii many years ago and have been to most of the islands '78-'82. More recently I've been to the big island and Kauai and they were and remain my favorite. I'll be in Maui next week, haven't been since the '80s but always liked maui, back then it was the cool place to be a little unknown and visited by the hollywood celebs.

I'll give you the maui update when I get back if you're interested.

If you do go to kauai, do the atv tour and get the mud bug not the 4 wheeler atv. It was an absloute blast.

maunahaole
03-11-2009, 01:40 PM
I live in Honolulu and have been to all of the major islands except Molokai and Lanai. Each has its own character and appeal. Kauai, Maui, and Oahu all have issues with density of people and traffic. Molokai is like stepping into a time machine. If you want quiet and dont need a guide, that will probably work out for you. Lanai is rural and remote, but high dollar. Kauai is nice, lots of variety of stuff to do. Big Island is amazing, but has pockets of being a little run down/rustic. Volcanos NP is something that you can really spend multiple days doing if you like hiking, etc. Hilo Farmer's market is a treat and Hilo itself is a cool little town. If you go to Hilo, ping me first on lodging tips. Maui has its own appeal, but it just doesnt thrill me as much as Kauai or the Big ISland. What is it that you want to do while you are here? If you can define that, it is easier to define which island would be the best choice. Look at http://www.scenichawaii.com/ for video previews of the different islands. This stuff gets fed on the local cable system.

Ray
03-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I can't compare it to the others though - its the only island I've spent any time on. But I've been there three times and if we still lived on the west coast, we'd have gone back several more by now I'm sure. The Na Pali coast is as pretty as anywhere I've ever been. I'd go back, but I probably wouldn't turn down a trip to any of them. We're headed to Mexico in a few weeks - hopefully to an area not overrun by drug wars. I'd love to be going to Hawaii.

-Ray

OperaLover
03-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I was born and raised in Honolulu and have been to all of the islands mutilple times with the exception of Lanai, (only once and I just stood on the beach before my relay team started swimming to Maui.)

I am biased toward O'ahu (where Honolulu is located), but as Mauna Haole pointed out, all the islands have their charms. IF you have som flexibility and are looking for a deal on flight and accomodations, Honolulu can't be beat. I got the family (of 5) arifares for just under $2K and a condo for $125 a night. Going next month.

If you rent a car on a week day you can drive to Kailua or Waimanalo and have a beautiful beach that will have no onethere because all the locals are at work. It's an island so nothing feels very far. (For my parents, a road trip of 45 minutes or longer, particularly with traffic, is considered eipic!)

You will also have a greater variety of hotles, restaurants, museums, tours (Pearl Habor), hikes, etc.

My second choice is the Big Island. Lots to see and the variety of weather, terrain, volcanoes, etc., is awesome.

How much time do you have?

Apart from Maui, which I think is oversold, you really can't go wrong.

Everyone, please visit Hawai'i the people there are hurting because the ecoonomy depends so heavily on tourism. WIth this recession, there are less people from both the U.S. mainland and Asia visiting.

Aloha ka kou,

OL

Kirk007
03-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I've vacationed on every Island except Lanai. Each has their charms. If I had to pick just one it would be the Big Island, no doubt. Great variety; great diving, cool historical sites like Place of Refuge, active volcanoes, lots of rural lands with non-touristy character (But Molokai definitely takes the prize there; it is a really cool place in that respect). The only thing that I'm a bit disappointed with the Big Island is the road riding opportunity - I find the roads that are intriguing pretty sketchy in terms of condition, lack of shoulders, crazy drivers in rented SUVs or local pick-ups.

I'm headed back to Maui at the end of the month cause I feel like I haven't given it enough of a chance. I'm not taking a bike on this trip but hope to get a sense of riding on the upland roads.

Jeff N.
03-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm looking for the best BEACH. I'm a water person. Jeff N.

OperaLover
03-11-2009, 03:05 PM

http://www.aloha.com/~lifeguards/kailua.html

This says it all!

Aloha!

rspecker
03-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Stay on or near Hanalei Bay.

Hanalei is everything you would hope a small Hawaii town to be. Maybe not as perfect as it once was, but still less spoiled than most.

If you go to Maui, stay at the Napili Kai Beach Club in Napili (right next to Kapalua. Great pancakes! And the beach and surf in Napili are really nice.

But Maui is much more built-up than it once was, and traffic can be a mess if you drive around a lot.

But if you want to crash on your favorite spot of sand for a week and just relax, the Napili Kai Beach Club would be tough to beat.

maunahaole
03-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Swimming beach, surfing beach, snorkeling beach?

Hanalei Bay on Kauai is pretty epic. Not to mention that it is also close to the trailhead for the Na Pali coast, which has some nice little secluded beaches that you will need to hike in and out of. Polihale on the SW shore of Kauai is big, sandy and deserted. Waimanalo beach on Oahu is a really pretty spot, as is Malaekahana on the north shore of OAhu. Poipu beach on Kauai is nice for swimming.

Different beaches can vary their character depending on wave conditions as well - Sunset and Waimea on Oahu are big waves in the winter, but generally very calm in the summer.

A lot of beaches can be really reefy right off shore as well. Coral cuts are nothing to mess with or trivialize....they hurt and do not heal easily or quickly.

boneman
03-11-2009, 04:12 PM
On what you're looking for but for a first time visitor, I'd suggest both Maui and Kaui.

I've been to all of them except Molokai and Lanai. I really like the Big Island for all the reasons already listed and usually stop in Maui to stay with friends who have a house near Wailea. They've got a guest house which is basically a small building on stilts which holds a bed and you can see the ocean, plus he's an awesome cook.

Trying to decide which one to go to this summer. Thanks, Jeff N.

pmac
03-11-2009, 04:49 PM
My guess is that this won't apply to you, or you would have mentioned it, but the windsurfing on Maui is amazing. Fairly flat water near Kihei, waves and surf near the airport and Hookipa. I used to do weekly rentals on a beach house that seemed to be right under the flight path for the airport (not so great) but it was just a few steps to the water (really great).

Paul

Z3c
03-11-2009, 05:12 PM

Jeff,

Go to Oahu, leave Honolulu as quickly as possible and head to the North Shore. Rent a house on the beach near Waimea Bay, there are plenty and they are amazingly inexpensive. Search on rentals in Haleiwa, the "town" for most of the NS. If you love the water, you will find yourself in laid-back nirvana. But, it is very laid back, little to no night life. Hawaiians refer to it as "the country"... 180 from the rest of Oahu..

PM if you want some specifics..

Scott

maunahaole
03-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Benefits of the North Shore, in no particular order:

1. Shrimp Trucks
2. Matsumoto's Shave Ice
3. Ted's Bakery
4. Fresh Kahuku Corn
5. Hot surfer girls

Stop in to Sugar Mill Bikes in Haleiwa, say hi to Tom.

Z3c
03-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Ted's is the place for breakfast after an early morning snorkle.. The hot surfer girls waiting at the bus stop across the street just add to the island vibe..

Benefits of the North Shore, in no particular order:

1. Shrimp Trucks
2. Matsumoto's Shave Ice
3. Ted's Bakery
4. Fresh Kahuku Corn
5. Hot surfer girls

Stop in to Sugar Mill Bikes in Haleiwa, say hi to Tom.

Kurt
03-11-2009, 06:55 PM

game over - best beach and the best place to stay. I have been here dozens of times, I would not even think of going to another island anymore. place just got done with a remodel, pretty f'ing amazing.

http://hawaiisnorkelguide.com/images/mauankeabeachhotel.jpg

chuckroast
03-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Is the only island we have visited but it was fantastic. We went last summer and couldn't have had a better time. I didn't find the traffic particularly difficult although drivers are pretty laid back (ie, slow).

It would appear that every convertible Mustang ever built is in Hawaii and rented by Hertz.

One thing to note, it is a loooooong trip to get there and back. 5 hour flight from LA as I recall at the end of two segments from KC to Denver and on to LA.

bigbill
03-11-2009, 08:41 PM
We lived in Hawaii for a few years from 04-07. We lived in West Oahu in the Ewa Beach area which is the pits unless you are looking for Little League World Series champs. When family would visit we would usually rent a house on the North Shore near Punaluu. It's close enough to cool stuff like the Kahuku Shrimp Trucks and the half day Mormon informercial at the PCC.

We enjoyed West Maui as well. It is a 45 minute flight from Honolulu to West Maui and five minutes to the hotels at Ka'anapali Beach. The flight goes over Lanai and is worth the cost just for the scenery on the way.

The Big Island is nice but there is so much to see and much is very rural.

Jeff N.
03-11-2009, 09:17 PM
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the tips. I think it's gonna be a tossup between Oahu, Kauai and Maui. I basically want to snorkel and veg on the beach with a beer/ Mai Tai buzz for a week. I'll let you know what I decide. Airfares are looking almost affordable this year! Jeff N.

Kirk007
03-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Alaska is advertising $179 one way (not sure if it includes their California departure cities) but thats a great price.