PDA

View Full Version : Buying fixed gear on Ebay

Rapid Tourist
12-11-2004, 07:22 AM
I've decided to try the fixed gear thing, and I've been looking at bikes on ebay for a few weeks. I've quickly noticed a couple of things about Ebay sellers -- it seems that they are (1) either people who are selling the bike THEY built up, rode and cared for, or (2) they make some portion of their living moving stuff on Ebay. I'm starting to think I should buy from the former and not the latter.

What do you think?

Has anyone bought a fixed gear on Ebay? Any good or bad experiences to report? Thanks for sharing!!

Sandy
12-11-2004, 07:36 AM
I guess if I had to pick from your two choices, I would pick the first. However, I would really simply buy the bike that most interested me. What would be of importance to me would be the buyer's feedback scores. I would have confidence in someone who sold a decent number of items with a high score. I would be a little wary of someone who was just selling his first item. I guess that I am contradicting myself. A combination of someone who built the bike for himself and who has sold a lot of items on ebay, with very positive feedback would seem to be the ideal. I have never bought anything on ebay, so my comments may mean even less than they normally do.

One thing for sure, don't buy from me. I will take your money and never deliver anything. Well, maybe I would, if you would ride with me, and smile like you do. :) :) :) :) :)

Selling myself on ebay, but getting no bids,

Sandy

ShockTreatment
12-11-2004, 07:38 AM
I bought a Cinelli track bike from Sterling Peters (Applecart2), who sells a lot of track bikes and fixed gear conversions on eBay. I had a very good experience; it was just as advertised, maybe a little better. The packing job was excellent.

I would avoid any conversions that don't use a real track hub in the rear, and look for a quality road frame from the 80s or 90s with forged dropouts. Forward facing dropouts are fine.

Smiley
12-11-2004, 07:55 AM
RT , my bike , fixee now was bought from a good ole guy from Alabama , but what made me feel good about him was his willingness to get me info , I even spoke to him by phone after a couple of e-mails trying to get dimensions. The fun for me in the process of finding and building the bike to a fixee was doing it myself. Applecart has a good record on the BAY , I think Dave Thompson also bought from him too . Go search out VINTAGE frames and start from there , I bought most of the parts that I needed to build my frame to a fixee from JAY at Harris Cyclery , they know what they speak of when it comes to FIXED bikes. I wish you the best of luck finding a dreamy frame to build.

dave thompson
12-11-2004, 10:10 AM
I bought a Cinelli track bike from Sterling Peters (Applecart2), who sells a lot of track bikes and fixed gear conversions on eBay. I had a very good experience; it was just as advertised, maybe a little better. The packing job was excellent.

I would avoid any conversions that don't use a real track hub in the rear, and look for a quality road frame from the 80s or 90s with forged dropouts. Forward facing dropouts are fine.
I bought a fixie from Applecart2 (his eBay items for sale: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZapplecart2QQsorecordsperpage Z25QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1QQssPageNameZS TRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI ) on eBay last year. A good value as a starter bike.

Buddha
12-11-2004, 07:56 PM
It seems to me you may be able to find on on this board. I have 2, a Waterford track/road frame and a old school road frame. What size are you?PM me.

Dude
12-11-2004, 09:41 PM
shameless plug as well. I have one frame and one that is mostly together. You can PM me if you are interested.

Back to the original question at hand, I usually see the past items they have sold in thier history. If they have a lot of cycling related goods i feel a little more comfortable. I assume they know more than the average person who "is selling it for a friend."