PDA

View Full Version : Ingroups and Outgroups at NAHBS

caleb
03-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Interesting lead line in a story about NAHBS from Pez today (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6851&status=True&catname=Latest%20News) :

"Simply put… This show was fun. While a couple of the better known builders have cultivated a rather “Lord Farkwad” like swagger, passion out-guns BS at NAHBS at the opposite ratio to virtually any other industry event."

Anyone care to enlighten me on what he's talking about?

Pez, care to elaborate?

Smiley
03-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Good Job Kelly Bedford and HandleBra Guy for getting props for your work.

girlie
03-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Interesting lead line in a story about NAHBS from Pez today (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6851&status=True&catname=Latest%20News) :

"Simply put… This show was fun. While a couple of the better known builders have cultivated a rather “Lord Farkwad” like swagger, passion out-guns BS at NAHBS at the opposite ratio to virtually any other industry event."

Something is afoot.

Anyone care to speculate on what he's talking about?

Pez, care to elaborate?

What are you talking about?

girlie

caleb
03-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Perhaps one way of using Pez's terms to phrase the question is, what is the Lord Farkwad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Farquaad) swagger, and who is Pez saying walks that way?

http://www.freewebs.com/monsterfx/Lord%20Farquaad1.jpg

mistermo
03-10-2009, 12:16 PM
From Wikipedia:
"Lord Farquaad is the comically short-in-stature, ruthless ruler of the huge castle of Duloc. Several times in the film it is commented that, in Duloc's towering height, Farquaad may be compensating for something. In his pursuit of perfection...."

girlie
03-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Perhaps one way of using Pez's terms to phrase my question is, what is the Lord Farkwad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Farquaad) swagger, and who walks that way?

http://www.freewebs.com/monsterfx/Lord%20Farquaad1.jpg

Still don't know what your asking?
I feel like you have something to say but are holding back.

girlie

srenda
03-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh come on. In all likelihood, OP referring to the author's (not mine) perceived arrogance (insert your own adjective) of some of the builders exhibiting at NAHBS. The fact that the author didn't name who he thought belonged in this group is no surprise, is it? I was there and found everyone quite friendly and generous with their time.

Scott

Still don't know what your asking?
I feel like you have something to say but are holding back.

girlie

girlie
03-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh come on. In all likelihood, OP referring to the author's (not mine) perceived arrogance (insert your own adjective) of some of the builders exhibiting at NAHBS. The fact that the author didn't name who he thought belonged in this group is no surprise, is it? I was there and found everyone quite friendly and generous with their time.

Scott

:) srenda,
I get it.....as does everyone, including the OP, so what's the question or point?
"something is afoot" yes?

girlie

Viper
03-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Anyone care to enlighten me on what he's talking about?

Ego atmo.

cpg
03-10-2009, 01:01 PM

Scott

It's weird because I didn't sense any arrogance there. I wonder why a journalist would feel way. NAHBS seemed warm and fuzzy to me.

David Kirk
03-10-2009, 01:09 PM
It's weird because I didn't sense any arrogance there. I wonder why a journalist would feel way. NAHBS seemed warm and fuzzy to me.

I agree......... everyone I spoke with was cool. Builders and attendees alike.

dave

Louis
03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
I don’t think there should be a problem admitting that different builders, whether it be because of their time in the business, their personalities, or whatever, sometimes hang out with different crowds and give off a different vibe. They aren’t automatons. You can put a positive or a negative spin on it, or just accept it as human nature.

girlie
03-10-2009, 01:43 PM
I thought Pez made a funny at the human nature thingy.
I just don't get what caleb was implying was happening.....post has since been edited.

girlie

gemship
03-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Is it just me or does Pez sort of set a double standard with the opening comments? I mean everything bicycle that Pez caters too is high end, elitest grade.

perceived arrogance is par for the course.

caleb
03-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I just don't get what caleb was implying was happening.
girlie

I didn't go to the NAHBS, but everyone on the board who went came back raving about how great it was - campfires, cum-by-ya, that sort of thing.

Today Pez comes out with an article that claims that some vaguely defined group is a bunch of jerks.

I wasn't there, so I thought I'd ask others what's going on.

BumbleBeeDave
03-10-2009, 02:16 PM
. . . and I wandered around a lot and talked to a lot of people. I certainly didn't perceive any of what I would call arrogance from any exhibitors I talked with. Everyone was very friendly.

But just as you would find at any gathering, there were companies that have "made it" like Serotta and Indy Fab, and others that haven't--yet. There were small booths with craftsmen who obviously have limited resources and experience, and others who obviously have far more of both. There were a few like Vanilla that have risen far and fast and could be described as "trendy." There were others like E-Richie who have obviously been around an awful long time. There was the "Frame Builder's Collective" which consists of Richie, Kirk, and a few others, and they were selling t-shirts and hats. There were some builders I had never seen before and some overseas builders who had some definitely unusual product. But I never detected any arrogance or "attitude" from any of them.

In fact, I was kind of star struck. Where else can you walk up to a display of Chris King components and have your questions answered by, well, Chris King himself? Where else can you peruse the newest Serotta and have Ben himself explain the fine points to you? Same for Nick Crumpton, Dave Kirk, Bilenky, Sasha, etc.? Even Dario Pegoretti? Wow.

Everybody was great. The only guy I wanted to meet that I didn't get to was Mr. Fabrication. They told me at the booth that he had run out to get coffee, but that when he got back he wouldn't mind if I called him "Indy." Cool!

BBD

girlie
03-10-2009, 02:36 PM
I didn't go to the NAHBS, but everyone on the board who went came back raving about how great it was - campfires, cum-by-ya, that sort of thing.

Today Pez comes out with an article that claims that some vaguely defined group is a bunch of jerks.

I wasn't there, so I thought I'd ask others what's going on.

Got it....thanks. Then I would think what the average joe experiences is probably way different than what say someone exhibiting experiences or someone who reports on the show hears or experiences. Sorry I was thick headed.

girlie

e-RICHIE
03-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Got it....thanks. Then I would think what the average joe experiences is probably way different than what say someone exhibiting experiences or someone who reports on the show hears or experiences. Sorry I was thick headed.

girlie

this is true atmo. plus, to be fair, the writer never said,

"Today Pez comes out with an article that claims that some vaguely defined group is a bunch of jerks."

as was posted by the OP. often, stories are at least
as much about the writer as they are about the subject.

Pete Serotta
03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Great time and everyone was friendly........ :cool: :cool:

Charles M
03-10-2009, 02:52 PM
:)
"something is afoot" yes?

girlie

Nope...

And No... Im not calling a whole group of people jerks...

And no... I'm not going to get any place near posting a picture of someone who might carry themselves a little different than the next guy.

The last line (that's being fairly completely ignored) is that this show was great and cycling passion drives NAHBS.

girlie
03-10-2009, 03:05 PM
this is true atmo. plus, to be fair, the writer never said,

"Today Pez comes out with an article that claims that some vaguely defined group is a bunch of jerks."

as was posted by the OP. often, stories are at least
as much about the writer as they are about the subject.

So what you're saying is the writer has inner cliques and good taste in bikes.

girlie

girlie
03-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Nope...

And no... I'm not going to get any place near posting a picture of someone who might carry themselves a little different than the next guy.

The last line (that's being fairly completely ignored) is that this show was great and cycling passion drives NAHBS.

I was asking the OP not you.....I didn't know what he meant.

girlie

e-RICHIE
03-10-2009, 03:09 PM
So what you're saying is the writer has inner clicks and good taste in bikes.

girlie

i'm not saying "the writer..." anything. my point was that articles reflect those
writing them, even when we hope for objective reporting. i didn't meet the
journalist and am not a pez site devotee, but i'll also say that he/it appears
to be slightly misinterpreted here atmo. i can't find evidence of the OP's text
(literal or otherwise) in the online article. ps this post reflects my point of view
but it's extremely objective atmo.

girlie
03-10-2009, 03:12 PM
i'm not saying "the writer..." anything. my point was that articles reflect those
writing them, even when we hope for objective reporting. i didn't meet the
journalist and am not a pez site devotee, but i'll also say that he/it appears
to be slightly misinterpreted here atmo. i can't find evidence of the OP's text
(literal or otherwise) in the online article. ps this post reflects my point of view
but it's extremely objective atmo.

It was a joke:)

girlie

slowgoing
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Nice articles, peztech. Keep it up.

Charles M
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Girlie I just wanted to very simply say that nothing at all is on going...

Richard I was with Nick Saturday right at the close to see if he could go eat or you guys needed to meet. I got to meet the wife but missed talking to you... I wish I would have stayed the extra day.

palincss
03-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Nope...

Now here's a little mystery. What got quoted above when I replied to this message isn't at all what I saw on screen! What the message said instead was:

The chances of me coming in and creating a *****storm in a tea cup by specifying are exactly zero.

Anyone thinking they should have bunched britches here shouldn't...

and not having the slightest idea what "bunched britches" meant, I thought I would ask.

So what's up with this? The message text quoted is entirely different from the message as displayed. There's no indication the text was edited. Has anybody ever seen anything like this before? :confused:

Charles M
03-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Yeah I changed it to make sure people wouldn't keep trolling for something that isn't here...

slowgoing
03-10-2009, 03:20 PM
and not having the slightest idea what "bunched britches" meant, I thought I would ask.

So what's up with this? The message text quoted is entirely different from the message as displayed. There's no indication the text was edited. Has anybody ever seen anything like this before? :confused:

Don't get your panties in a bunch.

fierte_poser
03-10-2009, 03:22 PM
y-a-w-n

e-RICHIE
03-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Richard I was with Nick Saturday right at the close to see if he could go eat or you guys needed to meet. I got to meet the wife but missed talking to you... I wish I would have stayed the extra day.

next time atmo.

palincss
03-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah I changed it to make sure people wouldn't keep trolling for something that isn't here...

Well, I can understand why people were trying to read between the lines. The lines were evident, as was the big arrow pointing to the space between them, and the hand-written personal invitation, y'all come read between 'em, folks.

Usually when you edit a message, there's a note to indicate that the message was edited. None here.

At least, I'm happy to hear it wasn't something like database pointers getting scrambled, and the text belonging to one message getting associated with a different message and different poster. That would be a disaster.

So: what are "bunched britches"? Is this kin to "getting your knickers in a twist"?

Charles M
03-10-2009, 03:28 PM
y-a-w-n

exactly right...

I love the whole boring quote that gets expanded for the sake of drama thing...

(NO GIRLIE I DO NOT THINK YOU ARE DOING ANY OF THAT AT ALL!!!!!!)

gdw
03-10-2009, 03:33 PM
So who bombed on the red carpet? Inquiring minds want to know. :banana:

fierte_poser
03-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Usually when you edit a message, there's a note to indicate that the message was edited. None here.

If you edit your post within a certain window of time after submitting the post, no edit note is added. Not sure what the timeout is set to for this message board software.

Charles M
03-10-2009, 03:36 PM
I got bombed...

The carpet I wound up on very well coulda been red but I have no idea.

The last I remember the bar was past last call and the Ukranian pimp was collecting his girls from the hotel lobby.