PDA

View Full Version : OT: RX Help/Advice – Swollen Hands

William
03-10-2009, 04:07 AM
Since I know the forum has a very wide knowledge base I figured I would ask a question about one of my students who is having some difficulty with his hands. I fully understand that this is the internet and I’m asking over a public line, I’m just looking for suggestions from those in the field or who have had similar issues to pass on to my student with the understanding that they are just suggestions and ultimately he needs to consult with qualified medical professionals.

I have a male student in his early to mid 50’s who is having occasional issues with his hands where a day or two after a class they will "get swollen, unable to fully extend or clench, so painful it even makes sleep difficult.” He says it doesn’t happen after every class, but it doesn’t happen when he hasn’t been to class. I have noticed that he seems to have weak wrists and tends to bend them when he strikes the pads. I’ve been working with him to wrap the hands properly and wear proper padded gloves with wrist support. I’ve even considered having him switch to open hand palm strikes only which would help alleviate any pressure to the wrist. The other issue to consider is that we don’t always concentrate a class on the hands, some classes we will concentrate more on footwork, kicking, elbows, knee strikes, take downs and shadow boxing. He has said that he’s even had them swell up when we don’t do any striking with the hands…which is the part I find puzzling.

I know the easy answer is that he should just stop training, but he really loves coming to the classes and other then his hands, it’s keeping him in great shape. I have my ideas for working around it, but I’m wondering if anyone in the know might be able shed some light on why it’s occasionally happening even when he’s not doing any striking with the hands?

Away from the class he manages an upscale hair salon/spa so I don’t see damage happening there unless it’s a form of repetitive use.

Thank you,
William

rwsaunders
03-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Arthritis?

Samster
03-10-2009, 07:29 AM
gout or pseudo-gout. ask him about his diet/drinking habits.

irrc, gout is urea crystals depositing in muscle/joint tissue and pseudo-gout is iron related (red meat). dehydration (like after a workout) can trigger attacks once you have a critical mass of the correct chemicals in your system. for me, onset happens over an 8 hour period and the whole attack lasts a few (miserable) days or so. i get it in my left hand, palm side pinky and ring finger joints.

i get pseudo-gout when i have red meat multiple days in a row. it hurts ****LOADS. i also can't sleep when i have it.

i think these ailments are classified as a sub-category of arthritis.

if this is indeed the issue (ask a doctor), lots of fluids for short term to flush/rehydrate system, and dietary modifications for long term. ultimately, these crystal deposits (precipitate) will do long term permanent damage if left unaddressed. believe it or not, lemon water seems to work for me.

no, i am not a doctor so don't trust me.

malcolm
03-10-2009, 07:32 AM
William, don't know if I can help much but the most worrisome thing would be DVT (clot) which can happen from trauma, punching etc. I've seen an upper extremity dvt from using a heavy bag (we thought). However the likely hood of bilateral dvts in an otherwise healthy person is approaching winning the lottery level, also they wouldn't be intermittient. I think the intermittient nature would suggest inflammation/damage from repetitive trauma, wrist/fist malalignment while punching with repeated hyperextension. Maybe wraps or some sort of support and a short course of nsaids. Good luck

thwart
03-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Sounds like transient flare-ups of some sort of arthritis, and there are several possibilities for a diagnosis. It may even be unrelated to the 'overuse' in your classes.

He should see his doc for an evaluation, IMHO.
If possible, on a day when he has some symptoms...

jhcakilmer
03-10-2009, 08:15 AM
I was going to say Chondrocalcinosis, like CPPD, pseudogout, or osteoarthritis.......any of those can possibly be caused after trauma, and I think your "training" could be considered trauma.

I'm just a med student (just as a preface), but I'd just recommend to try and work around it, and maybe limit full contract training to fewer sessions, if possible.

false_Aest
03-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Hrm.

What kind of a spin class is this?

William
03-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Thank you for the replies folks. :beer:

I have been working with this gentleman to wrap his hands properly, wear well padded gloves with good wrist support, and proper hand/wrist/forearm alignment for striking. That being said he needs a proper diagnoses and I'll need to help him work around this issue with other tactics if he does continue.

What kind of a spin class is this?

SCSC: Squirrel Combative Spin Class ;)

William