PDA

View Full Version : Show us your workhorse

thwart
03-09-2009, 02:21 PM
You know, the bike that gets the nod when you just need to put miles on.
When the weather and road conditions are less than perfect.
When the good stuff stays indoors.
When you're more interested in the process than the tool.

The one that some of your riding buddies have never seen.

Yeah, it looks good from 10 feet away, but you know its faults...

The bike that knows which way you're going to turn, and when.

This is an eBay rescue from too many miles on the trainer under its previous owner. Sweat takes its toll. Campy Daytona and Mirage components, and an older FSA crank. BTW, if you want white tape to stay white no matter how much cr*p you ride through, Fizik is the way to go.

William
03-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Nice! :cool:

How's the old Bianchi paint? Mine was fun to ride but the crystal craze going on in the paint was funky.

My winter gunk & muck bike....and one I shouldn't do wheelies on:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=558778&postcount=21

William

tv_vt
03-09-2009, 02:34 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=37160&highlight=merckx

Unless it's still winter and there's slush and puddles all over the place. If that's the case, I get out a fendered Jamis Aurora that cost me $115 for the frame on the Bai.

Thom

garysol1
03-09-2009, 02:44 PM
That would be my 05 Specialized S-Works E5. All aluminum with the only carbon on the bike being the fork. Full Ultegra/Ultegra SL mix including the 6600 wheel set most of the time. This is the bike I ride in the rain/snow, crits or if I need to ride at night and hang some lights from it.....

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/garysol1/DSC00455.jpg

konstantkarma
03-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Lots of miles since 2002!

mike p
03-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Those are to nice to be everyday workhorse's! This is a workhorse. Everyday trainer, beater, and even sometimes racer.

Mike

Ozz
03-09-2009, 03:09 PM
You know, the bike that gets the nod when you just need to put miles on.
When the weather and road conditions are less than perfect.
When the good stuff stays indoors.
When you're more interested in the process than the tool......
Picture my Legend (link below) with those gawd-awful 36 spoke cast-iron wheels I bought from you! ;) :D :beer: They are just what I needed for crappy winter riding. :banana:

I'm gonna be FAST when I put my "summer" wheels back on! :banana:

RPS
03-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I’m hoping to get back to riding over 200 miles per week on a regular basis, and I’m counting on this one to do most of the work for me.

texbike
03-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Wow! Tell us more about the bike...

I've never seen anything like this from Hans before. What is with the stay arrangement?

Thanks!

Texbike

MilanoTom
03-09-2009, 03:24 PM
My Kelly Knobby-X is what gets ridden nowadays. It's got full fenders, an electronic horn, lights - just the ticket for New England. When there's leftover snow or ice, it wears studded Schwalbes; otherwise it's a wheelset with Conti 4-Season 28s.

Regards,
Tom

MilanoTom
03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
My Kelly Knobby-X is what gets ridden nowadays. It's got full fenders, an electronic horn, lights - just the ticket for New England. When there's leftover snow or ice, it wears studded Schwalbes; otherwise it's a wheelset with Conti 4-Season 28s.

Regards,
Tom

The photos didn't load because they'd previously been posted...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=55500

Ray
03-09-2009, 03:33 PM

I've never seen anything like this from Hans before. What is with the stay arrangement?

Thanks!

Texbike
And does the seat tube go all the way to the BB? Hard to tell the way the crank is sitting - looks like it end at the junction of the stays and the extensions through the front triangle. Like a suspension bike of sorts? What's up with it? Don't know if I like it or not, but its damn sure intriguing.

-Ray

97CSI
03-09-2009, 04:40 PM
'07 Lemond Zurich with Centaur & Record Ergo. Cushy ride while still laterally stiff (sounds like a pharma ad :) ).

Louis
03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
This is a workhorse. Everyday trainer, beater, and even sometimes racer.

Mike,

I'm glad I'm not the only one around here still using DT shifters :cool:

Ray
03-09-2009, 05:03 PM
This is technically supposed to be the 'workhorse' since it has fatter tires and fenders, all the gears in the world, and a bit more laid back personality. Realistically, though, I've turned into such a fair weather rider that I don't spend a lot of time on it. I've ridden it a few times in the last month or so, when there was still a ton of salt and snowmelt on the roads.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/ramboorider/IMGP0718.jpg

The vast, huge, enormous majority of my miles are on this one, though, despite the skinny tires and lack of fenders. So, in reality, this one is the real workhorse.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/ramboorider/IMGP1044.jpg

Both of them have Specialized Phenom saddles on them these days. The saddles are level because, well, the saddles are level. Both the Aliante and the Brooks shown in the picture have to be pretty seriously nose up to get the rear portion level (where my sit bones live). IOW, they don't look as goofy now.

-Ray

gone
03-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Whenever the weather's threatening or bad, and oftentimes when it's not:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/ghsmith54/DSCN1622.jpg

and in its normal attire:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/ghsmith54/DSCN1693.jpg

thwart
03-09-2009, 05:37 PM
How's the old Bianchi paint? Mine was fun to ride but the crystal craze going on in the paint was funky. Well, let me tell you about the oxidation removal and touch-up paint process... no, on second thought, I don't want to relive that. :crap:

But, the intact areas still shine very nicely. :D

Remember what I said about 10 feet away...

boneman
03-09-2009, 05:44 PM
1997 Master Olympic, ambrosio excellence rims, 36/3x spoked with Panagacer Pasela TG 700x25c tires. You need good brakes, strong wheels and durable tires. This place is always under construction so road conditions includes trenches for pipes, sewers, etc. broken pavement or just dirt, never mind the cars, trucks, bikes, scooters and people. Oh yeah, and no rules of the road or at least no one following them.

Weather this winter's been bad, cold, damp, more rain than normal. The fine layer of dust, mainly from construction, which covers the city when combined with water makes for a very slippery mess. I thought the roads in London were greasy but here, it pays to ride conservatively with fat tires and lower pressures. Here's another interesting one, sewer access hatches. Not just manhole covers but extremely long covers. In the wet, these are the most dangerous things I have ever ridden on except for steel grate bridges.

sevencyclist
03-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Here is my workhorse; my only roadbike. The only modification on this bike from when it left e-RICHIE was change of bar from Oval Concept to Deda 215.

Swapped out the Challenge tires and light tubes with Conti 4 Season 25mm in the front and Conti ultra Gatorskin in the rear with Slime innertubes for ultimate road ride with minimum flats. The rides were shortened by frequent puntures, so I figured going with heavier is worth it. The beautiful wheels from ergott are smooth and true.

rwsaunders
03-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm been running Gatorskins, fenders, kool stop salmon pads and a saddle bag during the foul weather on this Poprad. It's actually a decent riding rig on the road....perfect for the potholes, ruts and squirrel hunting.

Ray
03-09-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm been running Gatorskins, fenders, kool stop salmon pads and a saddle bag during the foul weather on this Poprad. It's actually a decent riding rig on the road....perfect for the potholes, ruts and squirrel hunting.
I had a Poprad for years - there was nothing it couldn't do! In the winter, it was the bad weather bike. In the summer, it was the off-road bike - I took it on all kinds of stupid single-track that a cross bike's not supposed to have any business on. Toured on it. Commuted on it. Did semi-fast club rides on it. Long, epic, solo rides. Etc, etc, etc. Crazy versatile. Took up to about a 38mm tire pretty easily too.

-Ray

tuscanyswe
03-09-2009, 06:19 PM
This got the making of a great thread, keep em coming.

I also got a weak spot for the poprad, especially the disc with the bad winters around here.

The silver spectrum you got Ray, its stunning! Id like that :D
I also enjoy green bikes lately so i could go for that one too.

rwsaunders
03-09-2009, 06:28 PM
This got the making of a great thread, keep em coming.

I also got a weak spot for the poprad, especially the disc with the bad winters around here.

The silver spectrum you got Ray, its stunning! Id like that :D
I also enjoy green bikes lately so i could go for that one too.

This frame was fabbed for both cantis and discs. I've been kicking around swapping out the fork for a disc unit, as I'd prefer discs over cantis in the bad weather. Check out this red disc 'Rad that was posted awhile back....

mike p
03-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Louis,
Believe it or not those are DA ten speed DT shifters. Bless their heart shimano still make them. I've still got dt shifters on about 3 bikes.

Mike

Mike,

I'm glad I'm not the only one around here still using DT shifters :cool:

tuscanyswe
03-09-2009, 06:47 PM
This frame was fabbed for both cantis and discs. I've been kicking around swapping out the fork for a disc unit, as I'd prefer discs over cantis in the bad weather. Check out this red disc 'Rad that was posted awhile back....

Yeah thats a sweet poprad. Its MIN´s, we chat a bit when i build this serotta up thats now sold. Most beatuifull bike i had, just to much $ to use as messengerbike so it had to go.

xjoex
03-09-2009, 07:29 PM
My bad weather, mixed trails, double track, go anywhere, cross race it bike is this:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/bikes/100_3689.jpg

However the most miles of anything is my commuter:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/bikes/100_2230.jpg

-Jor

JohnHemlock
03-09-2009, 07:37 PM
I have one of these with an extra clown-head horn. . . .

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee44/JohnHemlock/thumb2.jpg

old fat man
03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
the gearing and tires change depending on the season and the fenders come off in the summer.

RPS
03-09-2009, 08:17 PM

Thanks!

TexbikeDo you know Hans? He’s not only a great guy and builder, but one of the best around a bike.

The arrangement of the upper stays provides travel for the rear wheel – takes the edge off larger bumps and reduces rough-road vibration. I just installed the Ruby suspension fork last weekend to complement the rear so that the front won’t feel stiff by comparison. If the fork works out I may have Hans build me a new frame with geometry specific to a suspension fork.

RPS
03-09-2009, 08:23 PM
And does the seat tube go all the way to the BB? Hard to tell the way the crank is sitting - looks like it end at the junction of the stays and the extensions through the front triangle. Like a suspension bike of sorts? What's up with it? Don't know if I like it or not, but its damn sure intriguing.

-RayRay, it’s been covered before but under Calfee – you can search it or PM me.

I’m not sure what you are seeing or how you imagine it working, but the seat tube is just like on most bikes (see picture below). The upper stays are attached to the seat tube and continue to the down tube so as to place both of them in slight bending to provide suspension. It’s somewhat similar in general concept to bending of seatstays (when they start curved) on many bikes except mechanically much more effective.

It is definitely form following function. It looks different because it has to be in order to accomplish what it does. Still not UCI approved. :rolleyes:

Lifelover
03-09-2009, 09:38 PM
My cheapest, oldest and ugliest is also the one I use most frequently and is certainly the one I have had the most fun on. I true Urban Assault Bike.

If it ever lives up to it's name and becomes a "Crack N Fail", it is probably the only bike I would replace with a custom.

Samster
03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
eddy.

Samster
03-09-2009, 10:00 PM
and the horse that gets me to work.

John M
03-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Although lately I have been commuting more on a Rocky Mountain CXR cross bike that I got too late to race on in December.

This 1983 Trek from when they knew how to make handmade steel bikes was my first real bike. I got it new at age 14 with what was then my life savings. Also posted recently in the fender thread.

GuyGadois
03-09-2009, 10:20 PM
My workhorse.

1975 Bob Jackson. Suntour Cyclone II drive train, Campy Bar end shifters, Specialized "Flag" crank, Royal Gran Comp II brakes, Dia Compe levers, Campy NR wheels laced to Mavic MA40s - the poodle. One of the or maybe the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden. Mind you, the bar-end shifters shift *almost* as nicely as my Record 10 speed.

Peter B
03-09-2009, 10:58 PM
This one works like a horse...

pdxmech13
03-09-2009, 11:06 PM
mine (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=47908&page=1&pp=15)

MilanoTom
03-09-2009, 11:40 PM
OK, I figured out how to get the photos to upload. Apologies for being such a spaz earlier in the thread. Anyway, this is the winter workhorse (check out the studded tires). I haven't figured out which bike will be the spring/summer workhorse

Regards,
Tom

jcmuellner
03-10-2009, 12:06 AM
This is the one most used...
http://www.mountainbike.org/images/corsa_1.jpg

Marcusaurelius
03-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Yep and it's new and while I have put a lot more miles on my non disc poprad this is my favourite. I'm thinking of switching to campagnolo but campagnolo rear disc hub is not an easy thing to find.

tuscanyswe
03-10-2009, 05:52 AM
No its no easy to find a campy disc hub, but ive been told you can buy the dt 240 disc hub and put the road body for campy on it. You could perhaps do the same with white ind disc hubs?

Its easier and cheaper to just use shiftmate #3 with shimano rear der and hub tho. Worked good on both my disc bikes.

texbike
03-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Do you know Hans? He’s not only a great guy and builder, but one of the best around a bike.

I went to school in Huntsville during the early-mid 90s and Hans was one of the guys that started me into road riding. His shop was fun to hang out in. As you mention, he's a very talented (yet underrated) builder and an incredibly great person. He has contribituted a great deal to the local Humane Society/Shelter over the years and sponsored the Memorial Park crits in Houston for ages.

Texbike

texbike
03-10-2009, 10:37 AM
I bought this Moots last year to replace a Colnago Ti as my workhorse.

At first I wasn't overly impressed with it, but have grown to love it more with each ride. It now sees about 99% of my miles.

Texbike

mack
03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Ellsworth 'green bike' with Columbus muscle carbon fork........predecessor to the Flight, really...'green bike', that's what they call it, thought to be built for use in house @ ellsworth and friends.......rebuilt last winter with sram rival and currently shod with N. R28aero and quick-seat stay and fork mount fenders when I need them. Lightweight, stiff yet comfortable riding aluminum frame.

CPP
03-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Titanium. I love this bike

MRB
03-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Here is my work hors ;)

Bob Loblaw
03-10-2009, 12:15 PM
While the pretty bikes are hibernating up in the basement, the Bob Loblaw and I brave the elements. All of them.

GuyGadois
03-10-2009, 12:23 PM
While the pretty bikes are hibernating up in the basement, the Bob Loblaw and I brave the elements. All of them.

Wow, that is a purdy "Law Bomb". Why did you decide on that model?

-GG-

Bob Loblaw
03-10-2009, 12:35 PM
I got the Bob Loblaw to replace my Barry Zuckercorn. I really wanted a Funke Nevernude or Analyst/therapist, but there were only dozens of them made.

If I had it to do over again, I think my life would be simpler if I'd gone after that gorgeous MRF.

BL

don'TreadOnMe
03-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Dayum. That Potts is bomber.
And Ray, I want the fender'd Spectrum if you ever decide to part ways.

andy mac
03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
My Amsterdam mobile. Sex, drugs n' pommes frites baby!

:beer:

L84dinr
03-11-2009, 10:12 AM
my fast by freddie was my old stand by, roller duty and bad weather bike. But felt a little guilty beating on it. So i picked up my old trek and been beating on it. Had it loaned out to friend who is ready to "upgrade" to a newer bike.

Ray
03-11-2009, 11:46 AM
my fast by freddie was my old stand by, roller duty and bad weather bike. But felt a little guilty beating on it. So i picked up my old trek and been beating on it. Had it loaned out to friend who is ready to "upgrade" to a newer bike.
You gonna 'splain what that shift lever is for?

-Ray

Charles M
03-11-2009, 11:49 AM
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/lynredoo.jpg

Charles M
03-11-2009, 11:50 AM

-Ray

Aero damper!

GuyGadois
03-11-2009, 11:57 AM
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/lynredoo.jpg

workhorse or show bike? beauty.

jpw
03-11-2009, 12:27 PM
workhorse or show bike? beauty.

Stallion.

Ti Designs
03-11-2009, 12:36 PM

Retractable bagel holder.

L84dinr
03-11-2009, 01:46 PM

-Ray

I never liked the exposed bosses for the dt shifters. I was always afraid that in some kind of freak accident of impaling my leg on one. So i left the shifters on. Sounds kinda dumb huh.

caleb
03-11-2009, 01:57 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/215/474093067_d9648bfc33.jpg

Climb01742
03-11-2009, 02:11 PM
peztech, that just ain't fair.

BigBossMan
03-11-2009, 04:13 PM
This is the bike that gets the lion's share of my miles. A late-80's Palo Alto with a modern 10sp Veloce/Centaur mix:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t267/jd6572/Misc%20ride%20pics/PaloAlto-1-2.jpg

mistermo
03-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Yep and it's new and while I have put a lot more miles on my non disc poprad this is my favourite. I'm thinking of switching to campagnolo but campagnolo rear disc hub is not an easy thing to find.

Another option...keep the shimano hub and put an American Classic Campy coversion cassette on it. I've done it on a couple of bikes and it works great. There's your easy and low cost solution.

rnhood
03-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I have flat put some miles on this bike.

http://nealh.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p1038380258-4.jpg

gemship
03-12-2009, 09:42 AM
a first time adding photos for me. Next time I'll try shooting in RAW to get the full gore of this workhorse.

Marcusaurelius
03-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Another option...keep the shimano hub and put an American Classic Campy coversion cassette on it. I've done it on a couple of bikes and it works great. There's your easy and low cost solution.

Yep thanks I had forgotten about that one. I'm just not sure: american classics cassette or shiftmate, white industries hub as a few others have suggested..

thwart
03-12-2009, 08:56 PM
God, I love that candy apple red Palo Alto...

That is much too classy for this category.

BigBossMan
03-13-2009, 11:45 PM
God, I love that candy apple red Palo Alto...

That is much too classy for this category.

Thanks! Check it out - matching alloy water bottles :) :

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t267/jd6572/Misc%20ride%20pics/PaloAlto-1-1.jpg

WadePatton
03-14-2009, 12:23 AM
I can't.

I took it apart.

I can't find all the pieces.

i sore ashamed. :bike:

oh, wait-here it is just last weekend: