PDA

View Full Version : Cable housing - do you replace it often?

Dekonick
03-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Cable housing...

How often do you replace it? If you don't, do you try to lube them prior to installing new calbes?

Curious, as I usually replace them and cables at the same time, but now I am thinking I should get a bit more time out of housing than I have been.

:)

eddief
03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
and the new build always gets new cables. I don't do lube.

Cable housing...

How often do you replace it? If you don't, do you try to lube them prior to installing new calbes?

Curious, as I usually replace them and cables at the same time, but now I am thinking I should get a bit more time out of housing than I have been.

:)

John M
03-09-2009, 02:29 PM
On my commuter, I generally replace housing when there are cracks developing. I don't race any more, but when I did, I replaced with new cables/housing each season. I usually get a few years out of housing.

I drip a little tri-flow through the old housing when I replace cables.

garysol1
03-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I replace all inner and outer cables each spring with new DA cables. I install them dry.

gdw
03-09-2009, 02:52 PM
I replace the cables about once a year on my race bikes, about 4,000 miles, and every 4 or 5 years on the beater. Brake cable housings are replaced every two years and shifter housings annually. I no longer use the thinner, 4mm, Shimano shifter housings. The individual strands which make up the walls of the thinner housings seem to work their way through the end caps, even when crimped, after about a month and cause shifting problems. The cables are lightly lubed with oil when first installed and about once a month afterwards which is easy to do on a mtb with slotted cable stops.

Blue Jays
03-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I generally replace them when they show wear or after a few years....whichever arrives first.

Pete Serotta
03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I replace all inner and outer cables each spring with new DA cables. I install them dry.

Good pre-season "to do"

garysol1
03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Good pre-season "to do"

Nothing worse than a snapped cable end inside of a Shimano STI shifter. New cables are cheap insurance.

mvanhorn
03-10-2009, 06:05 AM
Yearly after snapping a rear cable out in the middle of nowhere.
Mark

terrytnt
03-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I replace my campy cables every season (usually after 5000 miles)

giordana93
03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
has anyone actually addressed the question of just changing the inner cable, as I believe the OP asked? I can see that it might be easier to just buy a whole new set of cables, inner and housing, and install those for a "fresh new look," but honestly, it's not necessary, especially replacement of the housing on an annual basis. I certainly don't. and never had a cable fail.

so, my response: I have routinely replaced only the inner cable, and even that on a fairly long interval, unless the housing shows some compromise or is just getting ugly. ymmv, especially based on how corrosive your sweat or other conditions are. but modern, quality, cables are tough, and the forces pretty low. unless the housing is cracked, frayed, or rusty, they're fine (and it's much easier to thread and cut off a new inner cable than to retape and recut and redo bar tape for a new housing, unless you're just into that kind of thing)

Dekonick
03-10-2009, 10:23 PM
has anyone actually addressed the question of just changing the inner cable, as I believe the OP asked? I can see that it might be easier to just buy a whole new set of cables, inner and housing, and install those for a "fresh new look," but honestly, it's not necessary, especially replacement of the housing on an annual basis. I certainly don't. and never had a cable fail.

so, my response: I have routinely replaced only the inner cable, and even that on a fairly long interval, unless the housing shows some compromise or is just getting ugly. ymmv, especially based on how corrosive your sweat or other conditions are. but modern, quality, cables are tough, and the forces pretty low. unless the housing is cracked, frayed, or rusty, they're fine (and it's much easier to thread and cut off a new inner cable than to retape and recut and redo bar tape for a new housing, unless you're just into that kind of thing)

Thanks! This is exactly the information I am looking for.

Anyone else???

dekindy
03-11-2009, 05:40 AM

That's what my LBS does.