PDA

View Full Version : bike tax

gemship
03-09-2009, 10:54 AM
check it out

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/03/09/dnt.or.bike.tax.katu

Ken Robb
03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
the shop owner should think before speaking. He said not many riders would object to paying $50 every two years. Unfortunately the proposed tax is to register a bike not a rider. I've got 10 bikes and I'll bet he wishes his customers would have more than one bike too. Maybe he likes shooting himself in the foot?

Ozz
03-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I would not object to a "vehicle" tax that included bikes....as long as it was based on vehicle weight....say, $100 per 2000 lbs? Isn't weight what wears out roads?

A 4000 lb car would pay about $200 per year....a 20 lb bike would pay $1.00.

Sounds fair to me!

johnnymossville
03-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I would possibly support a one-time tax when a new bike is sold. I'd say 50 cents per bike sounds about right, you could always give more freely if you think it's a wonderful thing. Licensing etc,... I'm against. that's just more govt getting in the way of people's fun.

Seott-e
03-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I'd sit in jail before I would pay the TAX !

BumbleBeeDave
03-09-2009, 02:25 PM
. . . and should have thought about what he was saying before he said it.

I already pay for federal roads through my federal taxes, state roads through my state taxes, and local roads through my local property taxes--through the nose. Anybody who yells that old chestnut at me about my not paying for the roads I'm riding on is going to get an earful in return.

Besides, the law is patently unenforceable without the public relations nightmare of cops stopping kids riding to school or in the poor part of town and . . . what? Confiscate their bikes? Give them a citation? Follow them home and arrest their parents?

I would hope that if the Oregon legislature passes this ridiculous and oppressive law, that any number of cycling advocacy and industry groups would immediately file suit to challenge its constitutionality. Because if Oregon does it and gets away with it, then lazy, greedy legislators all over the country who don't have the backbone to practice any kind of fiscal discipline will try to get away with it, too.

BBD

93legendti
03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I would possibly support a one-time tax when a new bike is sold. I'd say 50 cents per bike sounds about right, you could always give more freely if you think it's a wonderful thing. Licensing etc,... I'm against. that's just more govt getting in the way of people's fun.
You mean other than sales tax?

I support a reducion in sales taxes on bikes as a way to encouarge, rather than discourage, sales. Once a tax is instituted, it only goes up.

Climb01742
03-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I support a reduction in sales taxes on bikes as a way to encouarge, rather than discourage, sales.

that's a cool idea. or even a tax credit for some portion of the bike's purchase price. (think what that would mean to mr brunk! :) )

Ahneida Ride
03-09-2009, 03:23 PM
First, it is just a frn a year ...

then next year, two frns ... then 5 frns, then 15 frns, then 25 frns

then 100 frns for 3 years .... then lifetime for 700 frn ... till next year ....
when there is a air pump tax and tire cycling tax and tax to re-cycle
all those batteries for electronic shifting.

Then the cycling license. only 50 frn per year ... and one's bike
needs to be inspected once a year too. another 25 frn.

well you get the idea.

Politicians need to raise frns is insatiable.

I am waiting for the fart tax. (if applied to congress, that could generate
serious frns)

Ray
03-09-2009, 03:29 PM

I support a reducion in sales taxes on bikes as a way to encouarge, rather than discourage, sales. Once a tax is instituted, it only goes up.
I like it Adam. But isn't that 'social engineering' or some such that government should stay out of?

-Ray

WadePatton
03-09-2009, 03:58 PM
First, it is just a frn a year ...
Politicians need to raise frns is insatiable.

I am waiting for the BRAIN fart tax. (if applied to congress, that could generate
serious frns)
text added

johnnymossville
03-09-2009, 05:03 PM

if it was in my state I'd be against it, but since it's in Oregon I figured hey, what the heck. :p

93legendti
03-09-2009, 06:51 PM
that's a cool idea. or even a tax credit for some portion of the bike's purchase price. (think what that would mean to mr brunk! :) )

I owe Jack a favor.