PDA

View Full Version : OT - new laptop? (tablet PC's)

Dekonick
03-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Looking for a new laptop - under $1k range.

The new HP looks nice, anyone have experience with them or have suggestions?

Thanks!

Ray
03-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Looking for a new laptop - under $1k range.

The new HP looks nice, anyone have experience with them or have suggestions?

Thanks!
I don't know from the new ones, but I have an HP tablet that's about 3 1/2 years old that's still going strong. It has a 12" screen, which I'd guess is smaller than the new ones? Its perfect for me because the screen size and resolution can match up perfectly with my projector's output and the tablet allows me to make rough changes to maps in real time in meetings. This has been a huge benefit on several of the projects I've done in the past few years. It seems tough - I haven't been able to hurt it. And its been very stable, but then is has XP on it - no idea how well Vista interacts with tablets or other non-standard hardware.

HP's consumer line stuff is probably as cheap as anyone's, but if you get their business line, they build it pretty tough. My daughter has been abusing one of their laptops in high school and college for four years now and its just starting to show some issues with its power supply. But its been good up until now.

-Ray

gone
03-09-2009, 08:14 AM
I've got one of the new HP "Pavillion Entertainment PC's". Lots of positives: fast, dual core processor, lots of memory and disk space. Two negatives: the display is very reflective, you can see yourself and anything behind you in the screen. It's very distracting if you're somewhere with movement behind you. Second negative: it runs Vista (since replaced with Windows 7).

Pete Serotta
03-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Dell, Lenovo, HP for portables would be my choice (in that order). The performance of the machines are all close. What I rate them on is speed of support and repair if needed. If the screen is not "matte" you will get refections. The trend, including APPLE, is toward the ones that are non matte.

I do not like VISTA, but others have said it works for them.

93legendti
03-09-2009, 08:40 AM
My wife and I are enjoying are ASUS laptops. Mine has a 9" screen, hers is the next smallest size. For travel, they are perfect.

MRB
03-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I have heard that newer HPs with the touch screen (I guess that is a tablet PC) are really great. I have never used one, but have heard that they are good.

Not to drift here, I use XP on a Dell Latitude D610, and it is bomber strong. Not blazing fast, but solid, albeit a tad clunky. I have heard that XP equipped laptops have some slick features for doing presentations, like one button to put it into presentation mode.

HTH

caleb
03-09-2009, 09:34 AM
I went from a Gateway to a Macbook last month and wouldn't go back.

That said, friends who have the cheaper Sonys and HPs (don't remember the models) like them, too.

neverraced
03-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Anything but Toshiba.

Ken Robb
03-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Anything but Toshiba.

My Toshiba has been perfect. Go figure?

jpw
03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
XP or Linux OS.

If you can hang on a while try waiting for Intel Atom processors in larger screen models (12 inches and bigger), with flash drives and mucho RAM. The higher spec Intel chips are not worth the cash imho - only really necessary for video apps.

ents
03-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple. Apple.

Their notebooks start under $1k.
Seriously has made using a computer fun compared to a chore.

Dekonick
03-09-2009, 04:53 PM
I plan on doing a dual boot system - linux and probably windows7 - V****STA until then

I want 12" - not bigger. Not much smaller. The HP with touch screens are really looking attractive now... but appear to have issues with the keyboard. $300 for a 3 year protection plan puts it out of the budget...

tylercheung
03-09-2009, 05:00 PM
the polycarbonate macbook can definitely be had at well under $1000, and it's been pretty awesome for me. And it can run windows/linux as well (although with Mac Os X, who would want to run either?)

Bud_E
03-09-2009, 05:31 PM
My Toshiba has been perfect. Go figure?

I bought a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy for my daughter to take to college. It was an incredibly good deal and she's been very happy with it. ( I hope I didn't just jinx it ). I also have a 17" Acer laptop that I use at home as a second desktop and I'm very happy with it.

I just ordered a 10" Asus netbook from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/10-Inch-Netbook-Processor-Storage-Bluetooth/dp/B001QTXL8C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236641188&sr=8-1) that got very good reviews. I also ordered a 2GB memory card with it - $400 altogether.

trophyoftexas
03-09-2009, 05:43 PM
My wife and I are enjoying are ASUS laptops. Mine has a 9" screen, hers is the next smallest size. For travel, they are perfect.

Got one about a month before Christmas and really like it, smooth, fast, makes me HATE my work computer!