PDA

View Full Version : Just Say No….To cycling Acrobatics

William
03-09-2009, 04:19 AM
It was a nice New England weekend. Highs about 60, Sunny on Saturday and part of Sunday. As we were eating breakfast I could see a number of cyclists heading out into the Rhode Island backcountry for nice late winter rides. I was itching to get out but I had things scheduled with the family and errands to do so my work out later in the day consisted of Krabi-Krabong (highly aerobic) and weights. On Sunday I decided I was going to get out on the bike so after taking care of some things around the house and playing with my children I headed out on the beater SS to enjoy a nice ride in the country. It was very warm for this time of year and not wearing arm or leg warmers felt really good. Still lots of sand on the road and you have to be careful carving corners but I was having a blast and the squirrels were leaving me alone so all was good.

When I got back to the house both my son and daughter had their bikes out and asked me to take them for a ride. I made sure their helmets were secure and we headed down the road to a dead end street with a hill that they like to ride up and down. I was feeling good from my ride, muscles warm and blood pumping and everything was good. After another run to the bottom of the hill we turned around and were headed back up the street when I decided to pull a wheelie up the street. I’ve done it a hundred times on the Zanc with no issues…..but the Zanc also has a slightly longer wheel base then the SS. The front end came up faster than I expected, and there comes that point where your brain realizes that things are going wrong fast. As I registered the fact that the front end was coming up over the top I tried to unclip but I felt something snap and my foot hang up. It was then that the horizon line where I had just seen my children and the road in front of me turned into slightly overcast gray sky….and I finally felt my foot come free, but it was too late. The next thing I know I feel the jolt of pain as my right glute, knee, elbow and right side of my calf hit the pavement…the gritty sandy pavement. At some point in there my right palm hit the ground too. Now, my ego was still in good shape since my children were in front of me and no one was outside to see me. My kids heard a crash, and turn to see Dad laying on the ground. The road rash didn’t really hurt much but I had a nasty Charlie horse in my right glute (butt cheek) that has formed into a huge knot. My kids were asking if I was alright and what had happened? Keeping a good attitude I chuckled and asked my son to please pick up my bike while I slowly picked myself up off the ground acting like nothing really hurt. I had to be honest, “Dad was being silly and he popped a wheelie and crashed”, “I think we’ll head back to the house now”. I checked out the bike and everything seemed fine, not even a scratch on my AR wrap. As I went to slowly climb back on the bike I realized that my right cleat was broken. Snapped the side off my old Speedplay cleat, bent metal and all. That would explain why I couldn’t get out.

After explaining to my wife what happened and getting into the shower to clean out my road rash, I decided to jump on the foam roller to work the knot out of my glute muscle. Now, I can tolerate pain. I’ve been punched, kicked, kneed, elbowed, and even head butted and hit with sticks. But when I tried rolling that muscle loose it lit me up like a pinball machine…Ouchy-mama!!! After a good night’s sleep I’m sitting here with a sore arse, knee, elbow, hip, shoulder, and back and thinking that maybe, just maybe I’ll say no to cycling acrobatics the next time I get the urge. :)

William

RABikes2
03-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Glad the injuries weren't more serious Cuz. Heal quickly! Ummm ... two wheels belong on the road. ;)
Cuz RA

William
03-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Glad the injuries weren't more serious Cuz. Heal quickly! Ummm ... two wheels belong on the road. ;)
Cuz RA

Thanks Cuz. :)

Maybe I should get one of these?.....

http://skateandannoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/whamo-wheelie.jpg

;) :)
William

bostondrunk
03-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Willy, if you are using SP Zeros and need a cleat part, lemme know, I have some used spares you are welcome to.

William
03-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Willy, if you are using SP Zeros and need a cleat part, lemme know, I have some used spares you are welcome to.

Thanks BD. :cool: Much appreciated. :beer:

William

Ahneida Ride
03-09-2009, 08:08 AM
William

Just riding out there is dangerous enough. Get my point ..?

Glad you are ok ... :beer:

Elefantino
03-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Glad you're able to chuckle and be self-effacing about it, as opposed to someone else posting that you were really hurt.

Yep, it's dangerous out there. Yesterday we were riding in a 10-person line and No. 3 hit No. 2's wheel and went flying, literally. Hit the pavement like a rag doll and came to rest on the road, head smack in the middle of our line. Somehow, my wife, who was three bikes back, missed running over his melon and causing even worse damage to him, or her. She has good reflexes. No. 2 suffered a broken collarbone and several broken ribs.

Samster
03-09-2009, 08:31 AM
that's gotta hurt. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyNdcl4VFMU&feature=related) here's wishing you well...

paulrad9
03-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Maybe I should get one of these?.....
Go for it! It's only, what, 2.5 kg?

Hope you're doing well!

girlie
03-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Nice William nice :)
Glad you're ok.....I think you should still do wheelies cause I'm sure it was a freak accident.

girlie

Kines
03-09-2009, 09:37 AM
But when I tried rolling that muscle loose it lit me up like a pinball machine…Ouchy-mama!!!

William

I hope you're doing better, but if not, and there's still a painful "bump" there, beware that it could be a tendon avulsion, or similar injury that might do better with specific treatment. But you probably already knew that.

Good luck, and thanks for the reminder to us to "act our age" which I have started doing avidly myself.

KN

William
03-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks folks. :cool: :)

I'm still a pain in the arse...I mean still have a pain in the arse, and raising my right arm higher than shoulder level is difficult. Other then that I'm just fine.

Nice William nice
Glad you're ok.....I think you should still do wheelies cause I'm sure it was a freak accident.

girlie

You know the old saying: "If you're going to play....eventually you're gonna pay." :D :crap: :D

William

soulspinner
03-10-2009, 05:32 AM
It was a nice New England weekend. Highs about 60, Sunny on Saturday and part of Sunday. As we were eating breakfast I could see a number of cyclists heading out into the Rhode Island backcountry for nice late winter rides. I was itching to get out but I had things scheduled with the family and errands to do so my work out later in the day consisted of Krabi-Krabong (highly aerobic) and weights. On Sunday I decided I was going to get out on the bike so after taking care of some things around the house and playing with my children I headed out on the beater SS to enjoy a nice ride in the country. It was very warm for this time of year and not wearing arm or leg warmers felt really good. Still lots of sand on the road and you have to be careful carving corners but I was having a blast and the squirrels were leaving me alone so all was good.

When I got back to the house both my son and daughter had their bikes out and asked me to take them for a ride. I made sure their helmets were secure and we headed down the road to a dead end street with a hill that they like to ride up and down. I was feeling good from my ride, muscles warm and blood pumping and everything was good. After another run to the bottom of the hill we turned around and were headed back up the street when I decided to pull a wheelie up the street. I’ve done it a hundred times on the Zanc with no issues…..but the Zanc also has a slightly longer wheel base then the SS. The front end came up faster than I expected, and there comes that point where your brain realizes that things are going wrong fast. As I registered the fact that the front end was coming up over the top I tried to unclip but I felt something snap and my foot hang up. It was then that the horizon line where I had just seen my children and the road in front of me turned into slightly overcast gray sky….and I finally felt my foot come free, but it was too late. The next thing I know I feel the jolt of pain as my right glute, knee, elbow and right side of my calf hit the pavement…the gritty sandy pavement. At some point in there my right palm hit the ground too. Now, my ego was still in good shape since my children were in front of me and no one was outside to see me. My kids heard a crash, and turn to see Dad laying on the ground. The road rash didn’t really hurt much but I had a nasty Charlie horse in my right glute (butt cheek) that has formed into a huge knot. My kids were asking if I was alright and what had happened? Keeping a good attitude I chuckled and asked my son to please pick up my bike while I slowly picked myself up off the ground acting like nothing really hurt. I had to be honest, “Dad was being silly and he popped a wheelie and crashed”, “I think we’ll head back to the house now”. I checked out the bike and everything seemed fine, not even a scratch on my AR wrap. As I went to slowly climb back on the bike I realized that my right cleat was broken. Snapped the side off my old Speedplay cleat, bent metal and all. That would explain why I couldn’t get out.

After explaining to my wife what happened and getting into the shower to clean out my road rash, I decided to jump on the foam roller to work the knot out of my glute muscle. Now, I can tolerate pain. I’ve been punched, kicked, kneed, elbowed, and even head butted and hit with sticks. But when I tried rolling that muscle loose it lit me up like a pinball machine…Ouchy-mama!!! After a good night’s sleep I’m sitting here with a sore arse, knee, elbow, hip, shoulder, and back and thinking that maybe, just maybe I’ll say no to cycling acrobatics the next time I get the urge. :)

William

At my shop we call that a Landis :) glad you werent hurt worse..

Samster
03-10-2009, 06:27 AM
i tried to pop a wheelie yesterday on the commute home. i almost killed myself. with all my years riding, this is something still i cannot do.

William
03-10-2009, 09:16 AM
i tried to pop a wheelie yesterday on the commute home. i almost killed myself. with all my years riding, this is something still i cannot do.

See post #3. :D :beer:

William

TimD
03-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Once upon a time, on an early-70s Schwinn Speedster, I could ride a wheelie for a quarter of a mile, including negotiating several turns along the way.

More recent attempts on a variety of high-end bikes have been less successful, although I have not done the inside loop thing. :)

Kevan
03-10-2009, 10:03 AM
that frozen moment in time when you know bad things are just about to happen?

I think this qualifies as a crash. You're good to go for the rest of the season.

Still...be careful.

fiamme red
03-10-2009, 10:08 AM
http://www.trackosaurusrex.com/pblog/index.php?entry=entry080527-112414

http://www.trackosaurusrex.com/pblog/images/no_fork_wheelie_w.jpg

fiamme red
09-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Whoa! Take it easy on that sprint, William! ;)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=73894

rustychisel
09-08-2010, 07:48 PM
kids are always involved William, cause you're just a big show off. :beer:

In 2005 in Germany we were visiting friends, went for a ride which turned into a marathon and I was on a loaner road bike I'd been riding for a few weeks. Somewhere along the way I decided a wheelie would be a good idea to keep the kids smiling... used to do this stuff all the time... sure enough I ended up on my arse in the middle of the road with the bike lying on top of me.

At such times as these kids have a way of making you feel like a doofus. :crap:

William
09-08-2010, 08:12 PM
My kids remind me of the event often. :crap: :D

William