PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut: S&S coupler retrofit on CSI

chakatrain
03-08-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm leaving for an extended European trip starting late April. Part of the time I'll be following the Giro, climbing the Dolomites (and maybe the alps on the way to the ITT in Cinque Terre).

I haven't yet figured out what to do about the actual bicycle.

I've got a few options:
[a] try to rent a bike for just for the few weeks in Italy.
[b] retro fit my '96 CSI with S&S couplers, put on an '09 Centaur gruppo and take it with me the entire trip.
[c] retrofit my '05 Serotta CIII with S&S couplers and repeat part [b]
[c] buy another frame to retrofit with S&S couplers and repeat part [b]
[d] buy a bike already with S&S couplers

The smaller box for the coupled bike appeals to me as easier to carry around in trains/rental cars during my getting from point A to point B.

What do you all think? I'm hesitant to cut the CSI, but that's the bike I'd really most like to ride during my trip. The CIII frame has been sitting in the closet for about two seaons as I've tried other rides; I could most certainly put that to better use (or sell it!). Looking for a classic steel 55cm top tube frame/fork (merckx, pinarello, colnago) hasn't terrifically fruitful yet.

Anyone have experience w/S&S couplers? Is the reputed 30-45 min time to box it up all that hard (I *am* mechanically inclined, doing most of the build on my existing bikes)?

Pete Serotta
03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
buy a Co motion frame or rent.. I do not think you will have time to ship bike, get S&S, refinish, ship back, build up, and get some base miles before APRIL.

Another option is to rent a case--- most international flights will allow bike bag as your second bag...THat is the way it use to be but might have changed.

Last option, borrow an S&S from a friend and bring him back some priceless memories :D

Steve in SLO
03-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I have an S&S coupled bike and I sure can't tell the couplings are there. It's a steel steed and rolls along and tracks beautifully.
Re: packing: practice a time or two, take photos at each stage of packing, and after a few times you will be able disassemble/pack it in under 30 minutes(or under 45 minutes if you're also busy drinking a beer or some wine :beer: )
A side benefit of the hard case is that you can stuff a lot of things into the case...I routinely carry my shoes and most of my other bike clothes, a spare tire/tube and tools with room to spare.
Re: which option to choose, you might keep an eye out on eBay or do a Craigslist search for: couplings site:craigslist.org/bik and you might get some hits. Used frames seem to be relatively cheap to buy coupled, but are expensive to retrofit.

Ken Robb
03-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Buy a used bikefriday? Many world travelers love them. Mine rides "just like a real bike".

Smiley
03-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Its a shame to cut a CSI but if you do take it to Bilenkey in Philly and don't wait as tick toc your running out of time. I love my Uniscasi steel Serotta :)

Ray
03-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Search the forum for other discussions of S&S or Travel Bikes. There's been a lot of discussion of S&S packing. I find it to be a pain in the butt, worth it for a trip like you're doing, but you're not going to want to assemble and disassemble it repeatedly while you're there. I don't know that I'd hack a bike, particularly a classic like a CSI just for ONE trip, though. Check out the other threads and think about what you want to use a travel bike for over the next several years. There are lots of options depending on your needs.

-Ray

Satellite
03-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I just sent a VaMoots to Bilenky Cycle Works to get the retro fit. I can't comment because I haven't got the frame back yet. I can tell you the communication with Bilenky has been fantastic. I have work travel planned for Sunnyvale CA in April; I am looking forward to testing out the S&S Coupled steed then. It's my plan to commute on my bike the whole time and forgo the rental car.

chakatrain
03-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Many thanks for the input and good advice thus far.

<snip>I find it to be a pain in the butt, worth it for a trip like you're doing, but you're not going to want to assemble and disassemble it repeatedly while you're there. <snip>-Ray

Ray, this is an excellent point. I am trying to find the balance between a "real bike" feel and the convenience of indeed being able to pack/unpack repeatedly during my travels. For travels before the Giro & immediately after, I'm planned to take the train from city to city, all my clothes/gear in a backpack and the bike in some sort of case. I envisioned using the bike to get around locally after arriving at various destinations. Whatever solution I end up with, it needs to be not prohibitively time consuming to pack/unpack the bike.

I wonder how much time would be saved packing/unpacking by bringing the bike in a large hardcase, like the Trico Ironhorse. That case is bulkier, by far, but with wheels and the handle, can be transporting decently.

<snip>I f don't know that I'd hack a bike, particularly a classic like a CSI just for ONE trip, though. <snip>-Ray
<snip>Its a shame to cut a CSI... <snip>

Yeah...it does seem a shame somehow...it *could* breath more life into the frame with the additional functionality, but somehow it feels more like "cutting" the frame instead of making it more functional. I might just leave it like the classic it is :)

I put in a call to Steve Rex (being somewhat local) and will see where that conversation leads.

Any good leads on where to rent a bike in Milan?

chakatrain
03-08-2009, 07:46 PM
I just sent a VaMoots to Bilenky Cycle Works to get the retro fit. I can't comment because I haven't got the frame back yet. I can tell you the communication with Bilenky has been fantastic. I have work travel planned for Sunnyvale CA in April; I am looking forward to testing out the S&S Coupled steed then. It's my plan to commute on my bike the whole time and forgo the rental car.

Satellite,

What was the turnaround time?

I imagine you didn't paint, right (most vamoots models are Ti, right?)? I'll need a repaint, too, though nothing fancy.

93legendti
03-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Many thanks for the input and good advice thus far.

Ray, this is an excellent point. I am trying to find the balance between a "real bike" feel and the convenience of indeed being able to pack/unpack repeatedly during my travels. For travels before the Giro & immediately after, I'm planned to take the train from city to city, all my clothes/gear in a backpack and the bike in some sort of case. I envisioned using the bike to get around locally after arriving at various destinations. Whatever solution I end up with, it needs to be not prohibitively time consuming to pack/unpack the bike.

I wonder how much time would be saved packing/unpacking by bringing the bike in a large hardcase, like the Trico Ironhorse. That case is bulkier, by far, but with wheels and the handle, can be transporting decently.

Yeah...it does seem a shame somehow...it *could* breath more life into the frame with the additional functionality, but somehow it feels more like "cutting" the frame instead of making it more functional. I might just leave it like the classic it is :)

I put in a call to Steve Rex (being somewhat local) and will see where that conversation leads.

Any good leads on where to rent a bike in Milan?
Borga. He has some great stuff and makes his own bikes, cranks, stems and posts in the back, Really cool and he is a very nice guy.

Ti Designs
03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Just ride the bike to europe.

chakatrain
03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Borga. He has some great stuff and makes his own bikes, cranks, stems and posts in the back, Really cool and he is a very nice guy.

Thanks! How do I get in touch with him? By the way, I read your posts in the archives about packing the S&S coupled bike into the 10" case. Sounded painful.

@ Ti Designs: I just might have to post a "WTB paddle bike!" on our classifieds :)

93legendti
03-08-2009, 08:29 PM
It's been 8 years since I was there, so I'd try google. His shop was walking distance from the Jet Hotel, but I can't remember much else.

I'm not that handy, so I need more practice packing a coupled bike to feel comfortable. A Bike Friday is better suited to my wrenching abilities when it comes to frequent packs/unpacks. You might check my comments on using a Bike Friday on my Israel trip.

Satellite
03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Satellite,

What was the turnaround time?

I imagine you didn't paint, right (most vamoots models are Ti, right?)? I'll need a repaint, too, though nothing fancy.

I have been told 10-12 days to do the work once received it arrived at Bilenky's on 26 Feb. Unfortunately, I sent it the week before the hand built show. Kind of bottle necked Bilenky's shop a little bit. Yes my VaMoots is Ti so no repaint needed; but Bilenky will do the repaint for an additionally fee.

I am going to take it to Spectrum for a fresh bead blast when I get it back. Spectrum is going to polish the frame where the Moots decal would go (make it shiny). Then they will place a vinyl Moots Decal where they go; and bead blast the frame to the satin finish. Once the decals are removed, it should leave a bright shiny Moots fade behind. I am hoping it makes a perfect travel frame. NO Paint NO Decals.

johnnymossville
03-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Don't cut it. that's my advice.

eddief
03-08-2009, 09:42 PM
it just takes as long as it takes. I would not want to do it probably more than once a week...at the very most...unless the reward was worth the time it takes. On the other hand, when you consider all the time we spend doing other worthless crap, building a bike and taking it apart is a worthy endeavor.

Believe me I understand fit, but wonder if $1200 for frameset and case for a Ritchey Breakaway from GVH might not be able to be fitted to your needs. Then you don't have to chop a fine Serotta and you can have a dedicated decent travel bike. The only caveat is I hear the Ritchey barely misses the exact measurements allowed by the airlines...but have never heard of anyone busted for that.

I had my Kogswell P58 retro-ed by Steve Rex a few years ago. He chopped it, inputted the couplers and left it chafed. I then had it powdered and it has been both a fine travel bike and everyday rider ever since.

Marcy
03-09-2009, 12:34 AM
I've got a Co-Mo Americano with S&S, wonderful bike. As folks have pointed out, it's not the fastest thing to assemble & disassemble, but you get better with practice.
For a data point, I read Co-Motion won't retrofit a bike, they like to build bikes with S&S couplers from the start. I'm sure other companies do fine work, but cutting a CSI sounds painful. Good luck with your hunt, and safe travels!

Saxon
03-09-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm not sure what the status is right now at Steve Rex's shop. He was hurt a few months ago in a pile up, riding in the local weekly "fast" ride in Sac. The webpage is:
http://rexcycles.com/home.html
here's the story on the crash:
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/framebuilder-steve-rex-injured-in-crash-19376/?mp=0

chakatrain
03-09-2009, 01:32 AM
I heard the same sad news about Steve Rex, but also heard (just a rumor, not verified), that's he's recovering and slowly back to work. His VM says he has office hours from Tuesday - Saturday; I'll try to get in touch on Tuesday and see what happens.

Co-motion might be worth looking into, given my short time frame. I'm also going to call Steve Hampsten and see about the Strada Biancha travelissimo.

97CSI
03-09-2009, 05:26 AM
How about a Ritchey? Don't they come with a travel-case included in the price? My friend recently purchased one as his cross-bike and he speaks highly of it and the ability to take apart and pack in their case, as well as it being a good riding bike. I agree with those who are against hacking a CSI (though it is your bike, so your decision).

nalsdixit
03-09-2009, 07:16 AM
in tems of getting used to the ss coupled bike, that time is zero, bike rides the same as pre coupled.
a reaonable/coservative estimate of getting the bike packed/built up is one hour
i do not think there is any value lost in getting a frame fit with the couplings
in my experience the issue is it does take some time to get the bike packed/built up, i would not do it for a couple of days of riding, but would do it for 10-15 days. in terms of lugging a normal bike box versus a 10 x 10 inch box around trains/public transport/taxies/airports there is no comparision.
it is a pain to pack/unpack, i would not do it if it was reqd frequently,i would look at a foldable

93legendti
03-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Unless your CSi was a custom buld or an unusual size, CSi's pop up fairly often on eBay and in the Classifieds.

Pete Serotta
03-09-2009, 08:33 AM
I have two ti bikes (one with coupling and one without) they have same everything and I can not tell a difference in ride. The review below is my exact experience.....For a size 57 cm, it is like getting 10 lbs of potatoes in a 9.5 lb bag. It takes some experience :crap:

in tems of getting used to the ss coupled bike, that time is zero, bike rides the same as pre coupled.
a reaonable/coservative estimate of getting the bike packed/built up is one hour
i do not think there is any value lost in getting a frame fit with the couplings
in my experience the issue is it does take some time to get the bike packed/built up, i would not do it for a couple of days of riding, but would do it for 10-15 days. in terms of lugging a normal bike box versus a 10 x 10 inch box around trains/public transport/taxies/airports there is no comparision.
it is a pain to pack/unpack, i would not do it if it was reqd frequently,i would look at a foldable

dogdriver
03-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Don't know what Serotta says about retroing a bike with S&S. I do know that IF (I own a Crown Jewel steel, asked IF if I could have it fitted with S&S, they didn't recommend it) and Moots don't like retrofits-- they both say that they use different tubing in bikes built intended for S&S. They both also warned that it can screw up the geometry of the bike if the tube lengths change-- but I guess that doing it right is why the guys doing the retros get the big bucks....

That said, a bud of mine S&S'ed a Litespeed and rode it around Iceland for a month with no complaints...

One would think that one of the Serotta gurus lurking would have an opinion on this...

There's a pretty nice Comotion on ebay right now, 57ish TT, I think.

Brain dead from staying up all night, Chris

Pete Serotta
03-09-2009, 09:37 AM
This is not part of Serotta's business plan. As you can guess, my Ti frame are SEROTTA and the S&S works well. Smiley has one of the few steel S&S frames that were made by the team, as does another friend of mine. They will also tell you that you give up nothing with S&S. Smiley has a Co-motions S&S tamdem also. It I was going for S&S today with a fixed budget I would get a co-motion. If I was getting an unpainted ti S&S my "wants" would be Serotta, ERicksen, Moots..... (that is just me for IF and Belinky make nice ones and if steel I would would not hesitate to get a Hampsten, Kirk, Goodrich, or Bedford..... :bike: :bike: Life is good and there are many choices.

Can I come on your trip and carry your bags... :)

Ray
03-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Don't know what Serotta says about retroing a bike with S&S. I do know that IF (I own a Crown Jewel steel, asked IF if I could have it fitted with S&S, they didn't recommend it) and Moots don't like retrofits-- they both say that they use different tubing in bikes built intended for S&S. They both also warned that it can screw up the geometry of the bike if the tube lengths change-- but I guess that doing it right is why the guys doing the retros get the big bucks....

I think it can create an issue when you're using butted tubing. You wouldn't want to locate the coupler right on a butt or the transition between one thickness and another. I know that Spectrum only does S&S on their non-butted ti frames. So you save a few hundred on the frame and put that plus more back into the couplers! As noted, there is absolutely NO downside to the ride of a coupled bike (except for a very small weight difference that I defy you to actually feel). Its the packing and unpacking that's the rub. More with a larger frame than a small one.

If adding couplers screws up the geometry, you took it to the wrong guy!

-Ray

EDS
03-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I think it can create an issue when you're using butted tubing. You wouldn't want to locate the coupler right on a butt or the transition between one thickness and another. I know that Spectrum only does S&S on their non-butted ti frames. So you save a few hundred on the frame and put that plus more back into the couplers! As noted, there is absolutely NO downside to the ride of a coupled bike (except for a very small weight difference that I defy you to actually feel). Its the packing and unpacking that's the rub. More with a larger frame than a small one.

If adding couplers screws up the geometry, you took it to the wrong guy!

-Ray

At what size does the packing/unpacking get real difficult? Would a compact geo make any difference in the packing equation?

Pete Serotta
03-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Mine is a 57 sloper with a ht extension and spacers on fork and it just clears case side. My buddies is a 61cm (with extensions) and he has to take fork out and carry in another bag.

I think a compact adds some room in the middle of case but that is not based on any fact for I have never had a level tt S&S.

Hope that helps...PETE

At what size does the packing/unpacking get real difficult? Would a compact geo make any difference in the packing equation?

Ray
03-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Somebody in the thread already mentioned having difficulty with a 57 I think. I once had a 57cm all-rounder with 26" wheels and it wasn't TOO bad, but I still had to take the crank off. I'm not sure HOW small you have to go for it to actually be easy. Its sort of like doing a puzzle to get everything to fit in there. My S&S bike now is a 60 cm compact with 700c wheels and I have to take everything but the damn paint off of the frame to pack it. Actually, there's no paint on the frame to begin with and that's not by accident. The other sort of paradox (NOT thrift) is that low spoke count wheels make it easier to get the handlebars in. But low spoke count wheels probably aren't what you want on your bike when you're traveling.

Bottom line, its a minor pain in the butt under the best of circumstances. And a somewhat major pain in the butt ordinarily. If you take a couple of trips each year where you're going primarily to ride and you're gonna be there for a week or more of riding, its probably the best way to go. But if you mostly travel for business or just want to have a bike along to sneak in some riding on a business trip or family vacation, I don't recommend it. I'd get a Bike Friday or something similar. They don't ride quite as well (to me - some folks love 'em), but they're enormously less of a hassle to assemble / disassemble and its not a problem if you need to fold it up mid-trip for intermediate transport (like a train ride or something). I don't like 'em for long rides, but some folks do, and if you're one of those folks, its a no brainer.

-Ray

EDS
03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Mine is a 57 sloper with a ht extension and spacers on fork and it just clears case side. My buddies is a 61cm (with extensions) and he has to take fork out and carry in another bag.

I think a compact adds some room in the middle of case but that is not based on any fact for I have never had a level tt S&S.

Hope that helps...PETE

Thanks. I am a 56/57 type but have been hesitant to pull the trigger on the coupled bike due to the packaging pains I have heard.

EDS
03-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Somebody in the thread already mentioned having difficulty with a 57 I think. I once had a 57cm all-rounder with 26" wheels and it wasn't TOO bad, but I still had to take the crank off. I'm not sure HOW small you have to go for it to actually be easy. Its sort of like doing a puzzle to get everything to fit in there. My S&S bike now is a 60 cm compact with 700c wheels and I have to take everything but the damn paint off of the frame to pack it. Actually, there's no paint on the frame to begin with and that's not by accident. The other sort of paradox (NOT thrift) is that low spoke count wheels make it easier to get the handlebars in. But low spoke count wheels probably aren't what you want on your bike when you're traveling.

Bottom line, its a minor pain in the butt under the best of circumstances. And a somewhat major pain in the butt ordinarily. If you take a couple of trips each year where you're going primarily to ride and you're gonna be there for a week or more of riding, its probably the best way to go. But if you mostly travel for business or just want to have a bike along to sneak in some riding on a business trip or family vacation, I don't recommend it. I'd get a Bike Friday or something similar. They don't ride quite as well (to me - some folks love 'em), but they're enormously less of a hassle to assemble / disassemble and its not a problem if you need to fold it up mid-trip for intermediate transport (like a train ride or something). I don't like 'em for long rides, but some folks do, and if you're one of those folks, its a no brainer.

-Ray

Thanks.

ThomasRZ
03-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Cut. :)

572cv
03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I went through most if not all of the questions raised in this thread. First of all, if you travel and want to bring your bike, the oversize and overweight charges have changed for the worse big time in the past year. Last year, no oversize fee on Air France to Europe. This year, 300 bucks. Significant costs for overweight are also there. Similar charges are true domestically, though shipping a bike UPS or the like becomes an option. At these rates, the cost of couplers is amortized very quickly.

I found a nice Serotta Fierte (was looking for an American steel or ti frame to cut) and after much research, entrusted it to Bilenky Cycleworks in Philadelphia. The bike is the Ti model with the carbon seat stay ('06 or '07 year) and they did a fantastic job, even overcoming the obstacle of an ovalized rear section of the top tube. The bike rides perfectly and can be fit into a box which is standard airline luggage (26"x26"x10") size and weight (under 23 kg). I am very happy with the work and the outcome. The hassle factor from our old way of traveling, with Thule bike boxes, is diminished considerably. I also sent them at the same time my wife's steel Serotta and they did the same good job. She took it to California on a biz trip... big success.

It is clearly a good idea to have a framebuilder with experience do this work if it is a retrofit. The folks at Bilenky have a long history, and love to heat the metal, it seems. Their website is very informative. Our bikes were shipped back to us , packed in their dinky new cases, in about a month, as promised. Having the Serottas to travel with is going to be a real treat.

A picture below....

Ray
03-10-2009, 03:32 PM
I found a nice Serotta Fierte (was looking for an American steel or ti frame to cut) and after much research, entrusted it to Bilenky Cycleworks in Philadelphia. The bike is the Ti model with the carbon seat stay ('06 or '07 year) and they did a fantastic job, even overcoming the obstacle of an ovalized rear section of the top tube. The bike rides perfectly and can be fit into a box which is standard airline luggage (26"x26"x10") size and weight (under 23 kg). I am very happy with the work and the outcome.
First, I agree with the recommendation for Bilenky - they hacked a bike for me once and did a great job. They've been doing it about as long as anyone.

But, damn, the coupler on that top tube is REALLY far forward! I assume that's because of the ovalized portion of the top tube you referred to? Doesn't that make it tough to get the rear triangle with that extended section of top tube in the case? And, finally, what size is that Fierte?

-Ray

97CSI
03-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I found a nice Serotta Fierte (was looking for an American steel or ti frame to cut) and after much research, entrusted it to Bilenky Cycleworks in Philadelphia. I also sent them at the same time my wife's steel Serotta and they did the same good job. She took it to California on a biz trip... big success.I'll third Bilenky based on a fellow rider who had him do a lugged Schwinn that turned out great. He uses it for 3-4 trips a year and loves it. Quality work.

What bike cases do you use? Is it something you got from Bilenky?

572cv
03-10-2009, 03:43 PM
...What bike cases do you use? Is it something you got from Bilenky?

I just got the standard hardshell cases offered through Bilenky. I did the whole package, soup to nuts. Saved time and hassle, if not bucks, thought they did have a sale going on the cases when I bought them, happily.

The cases have rollers, a pull handle and are very nicely made, BTW.

572cv
03-10-2009, 05:47 PM
But, damn, the coupler on that top tube is REALLY far forward! I assume that's because of the ovalized portion of the top tube you referred to? Doesn't that make it tough to get the rear triangle with that extended section of top tube in the case? And, finally, what size is that Fierte?

-Ray

Yes, you noticed- it had to be really far forward to get to a round section of top tube, which is ovalized towards the rear to match the down tube. It is a clever design. The coupler location proves to be absolutely zero problem however, either for packing or riding. The Fierte is a 56.

93legendti
03-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Unless your CSi was a custom buld or an unusual size, CSi's pop up fairly often on eBay and in the Classifieds.

There were 2 for sale in the Classifieds today in my size. I couldn't resist the red CSi, which will match my red CSi fork with TdF lugs.

chakatrain
03-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Just saw the two CSI for sale...I need something more in a ~55 TT (c-c) size for my liking (5'10", will put on 110mm stem).

Anyone got a classic steel frame about that size just taking up space at home? I'll post something in the classified.

FYI: I talked w/Steve Rex today and he's back at work, at least most of the way recovered, from the brief conversation.

Satellite
03-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Chris,

I spoke with Moots directly (Jon and Matt) they don't do retro fits because of cosmetic reasons and production hold up. You are right I couldn't post couple my SL, the tubes are too thin besides why couple a double butted Super Light frame anyways. Paying extra for the SL then add more money to couple it making it heavier negating the SL. So I bought a Moots Demo bike straight gauge sent it off to Bilenky for the reto fit. I still haven't received it from Bilenky's yet. I will post photo's when I get it back.

Patiently waiting,

Satellite

Satellite
03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Chakatrain,

My advise cut that Serotta all to pieces.

Satellite

chakatrain
03-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Chakatrain,

My advise cut that Serotta all to pieces.

Satellite

I'm very strongly leaning that way. Both Steve Rex (here in CA) and Steve Bilenky have been very cool to talk to about this. Am dreaming about riding the dolomites and alps in a centaur compact equipped CSI. Haven't decided for sure, but am leaning that way.

chakatrain
03-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Just packed up my '96 CSI at the LBS for Steve Bilenky to retrofit. Will put on a centaur compact double. Nice guy, easy to work with, and very helpful.

After all the thinking, I just decided that I really like riding that bike. Was an easy decision after that.

Best and thanks for all the comments!
-e

chakatrain
04-13-2009, 10:01 PM
The CSI isn't fully built yet...but here's a glimpse of the bike, after paint (well, mostly paint...front fork to be painted next), in mid-build. Am already loving it, and it's still in Philly with Stephen Bilenky. Full bike should arrive by end of the week.

alancw3
04-14-2009, 11:56 AM
if it were me i would find out where i could rent a suitable bike. i would bring my shoes, pedals, gloves, helmut, seat and seatpost. far easier than the hassle of taking a bike. nothing wrong with the s&s couple though!

Birddog
04-14-2009, 12:21 PM
if it were me i would find out where i could rent a suitable bike.
That's the problem. Unless you want a city bike or a Mtn bike, it's next to impossible to find a decent rental. It's great having your own bike. Well worth the hassle IMO. Rentals aren't cheap either.

Birddog

John M
04-14-2009, 12:46 PM
The CSI isn't fully built yet...but here's a glimpse of the bike, after paint (well, mostly paint...front fork to be painted next)..

That came out beautifully!

LesMiner
04-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Someone may have mentioned it but Ritchey makes a whole package, bike with a case and all. It does not use couplers in the way others do. The case is designed to make it through airline requirements. The Ritchey website has a video showing how to disassemble and reassemble the bike. The Ritchey process is more like 5 to 10 minutes versus 30 to 35. Another option but it means buying a complete new bike not converting an old one.

Charles M
04-14-2009, 01:45 PM
FWIW I found no difference at all in breaking down and setting up the Ritchey versus an S & S bike.

I do like the fitment and coupling better, but I would call the set up "ease" a non starter. Neither are what I would call very easy nor overly complex. Anyone could do it and anyone would need very close to the same amount of time.