PDA

View Full Version : Cranks: Easton EC90 vs. Zipp Vuma vs. E-Bones

93legendti
03-08-2009, 04:46 PM
1centaur's comment about the Vuma got me thinking. I have a set of the e-bones and 2 sets of the EC90's. Anyone have the Zipp Vuma Quads? I am curious about them.

Thanks.

1centaur
03-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I have two sets. Cranks to me either do their thing without drama or they don't, and then it's a question of weight. No drama means good shifting on the rings, smooth bearings, shape does not cause heel rub, don't snap (!), feel stiff enough. I've had no drama with the Vumas so it comes down to price vs. weight. It's difficult to take 200 odd grams off a bike so they make some sense to me, especially on sale. Wish they had other ring sizes as I prefer 48/36 in my terrain to 50/34. I think there's a Fairwheelbikes forum comparo out there that was updated for the Lightning cranks, if that's what they were called. Well worth perusing that if you want something more than the great performance of Shimano.

Charles M
03-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Toss the Extralite if stiffness is genuinely a big deal (and for lots of us, it's really not). They're noticably more flexy than Easton and Zipp.

If you're not a big power guy though and or simply don't freak out about crank stiffness they look cool and do the job. But low weight makes for quite a bit of trade off for stiffness where the others keep their performance. If you like these, KCNC might be a little better all round performer.

I have purchased Vumas for the last couple bikes and also have the Eastons. All three are pretty nice cranks with the Zipp being a little stiffer and, I think, a bit smoother easier turning.

Now lets move to the "soul" rider crowd that ignores the question for the sake of telling you why you don't "need" it...

;)

Jack Brunk
03-08-2009, 10:09 PM
I can't tell the difference between the Vumas and the Ebones. I can't flex either but the bearings on the Ebones are better than the Vuma's. It nice though that the Ebones complete are 25% cheaper than the Vuma's. I'm going to do a century this coming weekend with the Ebones so I'll now better but after a 120 miles on them this weekend I'll be shocked if my feelings change.

Bob Ross
03-09-2009, 07:49 AM
I think there's a Fairwheelbikes forum comparo out there that was updated for the Lightning cranks, if that's what they were called. Well worth perusing that if you want something more than the great performance of Shimano.

Indeed, a good read: http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=5991

93legendti
03-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys. I was thinking about the Zipp and cbike's 25% discount offer.

I get a pretty good price on the Easton locally. I am going to put the e-bones on my JKS Special and see what opportunites arise vis a vis sales.

Spicoli
03-09-2009, 08:24 AM
If your bigger than say 155lbs and have decent power or race, toss the idea of E-bones. I had a hard time with them, super flexy for me so much so that the rings would slap my front derailuer in and out. No way to trim it out either, just a good amount of movement. I'm around 170-175lbs. so maybe I'm just too big for them, I would say they feel like an old alloy sqaure taper crank from the late 1970's early 80's. They work well but there are so many better options out there IMO.