PDA

View Full Version : Curtlo and Carl Strong - any opinions?

gabbard
12-10-2004, 01:29 PM
I am narrrowing down my search for a new steel road frame. My goal was under $1200 for a custom steel frame. This price leaves out a lot of builders like Sycip, Steelman, etc., but I am trying to keep the costs reasonable.

I have talked to Carl Strong and Doug Curtiss, asked them a bunch of questions. Carl does more of a "fit" where he takes your body measurements and builds a frame with your input, while Curtlo seems to go from the measurements of my current bikes and builds a frame from those dimensions. Main difference is price - $700 for a Curtlo TT OX Platinum, and $1200 for a Strong Foco.

So, any recommendations one way or another? I see Carl Strong mentioned more on this forum and others, but I have seen great reviews of Curtlo's frames also.

Steve

jwb96
12-10-2004, 01:59 PM
I just began the process for my Strong frame. So far it seems fine, but really all I've done is chatted a little and put down my deposit. It seems Carl has pulled back a little, stripped things down and simplified. The only negative thing I used to hear was about his powdercoating, but instead of doing it in-house he's having Spectrum Powderworks do it now. Otherwise, everything I've heard has been totally positive and for the same reason as you - a great value on a custom steel frame - I went with him.

Alas, I've looked at the Curtlo's but don't have any experience to form an opinion.

Choose wisely!

Big Dan
12-10-2004, 02:06 PM
JW , I've seen some of Strong's powdercoat and is not bad at all. Sure you can't go wrong with Spectrum Powderworks....good luck :D

eddief
12-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Why not pay a good fitter for a fit? Usually about $100. Make sure they write down all the pertinent dimensions. Then use that info with your builder of choice. If you thought Curtlo and Strong were in the same league as far as building goes, paying Strong an extra $500 for fit might be not so wise. Then there's always Steve Rex in Sacramento.

soulspinner
12-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Dont know anything about Curtlo but I have a Strong foco compact that rides very, very nicely. Makes me smile every time Im on it.

rePhil
12-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Carl is easy to do business with. After chatting a few times I knew I made the right decision. He delivered more than I expected for the price. Mine is built out of Foco. If you have any specific questions let me know.