PDA

View Full Version : Ot: U2

L84dinr
03-07-2009, 04:11 PM
As probably most know U2 had been appearing on Lettermans' show this past week. I tivoed the episodes and watched the U2 performances. Pretty good stuff. I heard that they had Daniel Lanois in the studio, shrug. What ever the reason the music reminds me of their earlier stuff. Tuesday nights performance reminded me of tunes from the album "boy".

I havent purchased any U2 music since Joshua Tree. so basically i am out of the loop on a bunch of their recent music. But i admit being pshyced hearing their new tunes (a local radio station previewed some of their tunes monday plus what i heard on DL) and look forward to the tour? i s'pose they will tour. Wonder if i can afford the tickets! lol. (i s'pose one can always scrape together the cash to see a live performance, but man i bristle at the prices most bands are asking now-a-days... especially when i really dont like large venues)

Anyway no biggee thought it was cool to see U2 on the toob. Would have loved to been there thursady night. Looked like they were going to do a little extra jam session after the cameras turned off.

stay hard.

Viper
03-08-2009, 12:21 AM
When I visit Sandy and Smiley in May, I plan on taking them to a karaoke bar. I will practice until then atmo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVbrmR6xynA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BYbaQLMCjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL1OLqGmv_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkLWfmMKGhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9FSldmJhm0

This album, No Line on the Horizon is a monster which contains a very strong pulse. You can feel their message, "Just breathe, relax people, it's not the end of the world." At least not yet.

Bono wrote his thoughts du jour down on paper as the world economy was falling and peace in the middle east was failing. Down. It's how people have been looking the past few years, looking downward, recessed, depressed or even worse, oppressed. In Breathe Bono tells us, "I've found grace inside a sound. I found grace, it's all that I found. And I can breathe. Breathe now." Don't we tell our children to just breathe, relax and take it easy when they have a tantrum? Don't we offer ourselves the same counsel on our bikes when our fitness is defeated by fatigue? And isn't the world having a fit right now. Nothing is more important to our future than our children, "Every generation gets a chance to change the world. Pity the nation that won't listen to your boys and girls" exclaims Bono.

With Magnificent we feel the bass and are moved to do something with a U2 tune that we don't tend to do, dance. It's a song of repair to the heart, otherwise known as joy. Doesn't it sound like a siren of honor to a band U2 respects, Joy Division and their classic message in Love Will Tear us Apart. Bono offers, "Only love, only love can leave such a mark. But only love, only love can heal such a scar."

No Line on the Horizon. The image on the album leads some to believe it's an ocean, water, while others see a desert, sand. The title of the album is a message...we're lost and only love can heal all these scars. We're lost alright, in search of better days and nothing makes the human race feel more lost than when we hope for our future to be as good as our past. Without a future, a line on the horizon to walk towards, facing a world economic depression, it's our nature to fear the future and hang onto last year's this or last year's that.

Tomorrow is where it's at and U2 reminds us within their own hubris, self-doubt in Unknown Caller, "I was right there at the top of the bottom. I had driven to the scene of the accident and I sat there waiting for me" there's much work for us, society to do in order to regain our footing. Patience will prevail, "It's not a hill, it's a mountain. As we start out the climb. Do you believe me, or are you doubting? We're gonna make it all the way to the light...Oh, but a change of heart comes slow" advises Bono in I Go Crazy.

Line on the horizon. The point where the ocean meets the sky, where the land meets the air, where the earth says hello to space. When you're lost look up and find a star, it's what U2 did.

Len J
03-08-2009, 09:58 AM
As probably most know U2 had been appearing on Lettermans' show this past week. I tivoed the episodes and watched the U2 performances. Pretty good stuff. I heard that they had Daniel Lanois in the studio, shrug. What ever the reason the music reminds me of their earlier stuff. Tuesday nights performance reminded me of tunes from the album "boy".

I havent purchased any U2 music since Joshua Tree. so basically i am out of the loop on a bunch of their recent music. But i admit being pshyced hearing their new tunes (a local radio station previewed some of their tunes monday plus what i heard on DL) and look forward to the tour? i s'pose they will tour. Wonder if i can afford the tickets! lol. (i s'pose one can always scrape together the cash to see a live performance, but man i bristle at the prices most bands are asking now-a-days... especially when i really dont like large venues)

Anyway no biggee thought it was cool to see U2 on the toob. Would have loved to been there thursady night. Looked like they were going to do a little extra jam session after the cameras turned off.

stay hard.

U2 is IMO, the best example of why variety is a good thing. I think they are the most over-hyped, under talented, popular musicians in the last 25 years...........but their popularity with the masses is evidence that they have an appeal. Just not to me.

Obviously YMMV

Len

jhcakilmer
03-08-2009, 10:38 AM
U2 is IMO, the best example of why variety is a good thing. I think they are the most over-hyped, under talented, popular musicians in the last 25 years...........but their popularity with the masses is evidence that they have an appeal. Just not to me.

Obviously YMMV

Len

Wow, Len, I usually agree with you, but this isn't one of them. U2 has been productive in 4 different decades......that doesn't occur without talent.......heck brittany spears was barely productive for a single decade. They haven't stuck to any formulaic musical code, but experimented with different sounds, and melodies........some of which I didn't care for......but respect them for stepping out of their tried and true methods to try something new, and original......

As with all music, they're not for everyone, but that has nothing to do with talent.

majl
03-08-2009, 10:48 AM
As with all music, they're not for everyone, but that has nothing to do with talent.
I have to agree here. U2 may be many things, but under-talented is certainly not one of them.

Ray
03-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Obviously YMMV

Len

Took me a looooong time to warm up to U2. They're clearly pretty great on some levels. The Edge is a pretty interesting guitarist for what's basically a power trio. When they started, NOBODY was doing anything that sounded like what he was doing. I give him big props for that. And they write memorable songs and perform the hell out of them. But I couldn't stand them for a long time. I think part of it is because Bono has always been such an insufferably arrogant asshat. I couldn't stand that guy for the longest time.

But over time, I've gotten over it. He's still an asshat, but he's also a lot more than that, and I've gotten more forgiving of other's imperfections, having seen so many of my own. I'm pretty impressed with them. They've stood the test of time. When I go back and listen to some of their many hits and more obscure songs, I have to admit they've developed a hell of a catalog. And the Letterman stuff shows where they got their reputation as such a great live band. My favorite live bands ever were Springsteen and the Dead, for obviously VERY different reasons. Everyone tells me that U2 is at that level. I've never seen 'em, but I'd kind of like to now.

Hey, I hated Zepplin in high school too, but have come to appreciate them over time.

-Ray

djg21
03-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Wow, Len, I usually agree with you, but this isn't one of them. U2 has been productive in 4 different decades......that doesn't occur without talent.......heck brittany spears was barely productive for a single decade. They haven't stuck to any formulaic musical code, but experimented with different sounds, and melodies........some of which I didn't care for......but respect them for stepping out of their tried and true methods to try something new, and original......

They have one or two good songs they play 300 different ways. It's all 2:2 marching music that makes me want to goose-step across the floor. I just never got it. That's just my opinion, and each to his/her own.

Ray
03-08-2009, 11:26 AM
They have one or two good songs they play 300 different ways. It's all 2:2 marching music that makes me want to goose-step across the floor. I just never got it. That's just my opinion, and each to his/her own.
People say similar stuff about the Stones, Bruce, etc. I think the basic point is that if you don't fundamentally like some performer / band, you're not pulled in enough to hear the details and appreciate the differences. If you do fundamentally like someone, you can mine that vein for a long time. My wife can't stand the sound of Jimi Hendrix - it just turns her off. So she can't listen to it enough to hear the genius that guy was. It all sounds the same to her. I was like that with Ornette Coleman for a long time - what's all that squeaking and squawking? I got past that and love Ornette now. I'm still like that with opera. I don't get it. I KNOW there's a terrific amount of talent at work and, as I get older, I hear moments in soundbites of operas that are incredibly beautiful. But the overall sound of the thing is just not something that appeals to me, so I can't get inside it to find the beauty that I know is there. I can't criticize opera for that - I can only criticize myself.

-Ray

johnnymossville
03-08-2009, 11:52 AM
I think U2's the real thing, Even better than the real thing! Had to say that.

I like them enough to buy some of their albums, which puts them ahead of countless others at least.

saab2000
03-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I have to listen to the latest CD, but since Achtung Baby they haven't done much that excites me. And I have been a giant U2 fan over the years, having bought Boy as one of my first ever albums. Bought in in vinyl shortly after it came out. A friend had it and I was absolutely mesmerized by it.

Been a fan since. But like I said, since Achtung Baby it doesn't make me crazy.

I'll give the new one a listen.

Seen them 3 times in concert.

Len J
03-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Wow...and Madonna has been succesful in 3....you've convinced me. :) If longecity were the measure, Lawrence Welk is the peak.

They have always been a trendy pick for the masses that have the media in love with them.

As to trying something new....I see them as just the opposite...it's the same recipe with cery slightly different ingredients.

Viva la difference.

It's all good...it's just not my cup of tea.

Now van Morrison........now we are talking great!

Len

14max
03-08-2009, 12:13 PM

JohnHemlock
03-08-2009, 12:39 PM
The new record is okay, reminds me of "All That You Can't. . . ." Anyone who says it is on par with Achtung Baby can suck a tailpipe.

Viper
03-08-2009, 01:36 PM
If everyone liked them something would be wrong. If everyone ate only green-colored mint chocolate chip ice cream, rode Shimano and enjoyed kayaking while listening to David Bowie and the Bee Gees on their waterproof iPod, something would be wrong. It'd be a sci-fi movie; not everyone digs U2 and it doesn't lessen their humble beginning, story, message, induction into the Hall of Fame, massive catalogue of music, 21 Grammy Awards and so on. "In terms of bands, there are five extraordinary catalogues that make me ill with envy. It doesn't have to be said the Bee Gees are up there with the Beatles" said Bono. Bee Gees, now there's a topic.

I never waste a moment trying to convince a Shimano rider that Campy is superior, especially on the internet. If U2 doesn't alter their sound, some cry out, "They sound the same every album" and if their music or message changes, others offer, "They don't sound like the band I know." It's all opinion, "I don't dig U2." Great. You must dig something and chances are someone out there despises that music you covet. Music is poetry, prose and art to the ears and heart. Four lads from outside London formed a Boy Band, were either loved or frowned upon nearly fifty years ago and a stud with a guitar, powerful hips and a pompadour from Tennessee had the same reception.

"Bono thought that our job was to create contemporary gospel music...that we are essentially soul musicians that look for soul in what we do," said Daniel Lanois. U2 intends to release another album by year's end, one tentatively called, Songs of Ascent. Bono has said it will be, "A more meditative album on the theme of pilgrimage."

U2's loci of anti-nuke, pro-peace, anti-bloodshed in Northern Ireland, pro-human rights while searching to comprehend the spirits we cannot understand is as pertinent today as it was thirty years ago. Sadly, blood is a topic again, today in Belfast as Ireland sees it for the first time in twelve years. The world is out of control with boys, girls colliding and we need the music in our ears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc68o-xIjqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoLVjrNpBgU

Monday morning
Eighteen years of dawning
I said how long
Say how long

It was one dull morning
I woke the world with bawling
I was so sad
They were so glad

I had the feeling it was out of control
I was of the opinion it was out of control

Boys and girls to school
And girls they make children
Not like Viper :)

I was of the feeling it was out of control
I got big ideas, I'm out of control

I fought fate
There's blood at the garden gate
The man said childhood
It's in his childhood

One day I'll die
The choice will not be mine
Will it be too late
You can't fight fate

jhcakilmer
03-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Wow...and Madonna has been succesful in 3....you've convinced me. :) If longecity were the measure, Lawrence Welk is the peak.

They have always been a trendy pick for the masses that have the media in love with them.

As to trying something new....I see them as just the opposite...it's the same recipe with cery slightly different ingredients.

Viva la difference.

It's all good...it's just not my cup of tea.

Now van Morrison........now we are talking great!

Len

I guess we need to define "successful"....I don't hear much about Madonna, useless it concerns A-Rod, or some other non-music gossip. As far as album sales, and music awards go, they're not even in the same league.

Ironically, Bono has cited Van Morrision as influencing their music.

GuyGadois
03-09-2009, 12:14 AM

Wow, have you listened to any of their music? Their songs vary quite a bit. I think you are probably referring to the War album. Try the Joshua tree and I think you'll find very few 2:2 songs there. Each album is quite unique. For U2 newcomers I would try Joshua Tree and Auchtung Baby. Insanely good stuff and totally different.

:beer:

-GG

Viper
03-09-2009, 10:23 AM
U2 views Achtung Baby as nearly a complete failure. I think Bono would quip, "It had one great song on it." They nearly broke up the band over the stale music created for the album. The subsequently weak Zoo TV concert tour didn't help endorse the music. "Bono often referred to the album as the sound of, 'Four men chopping down the Joshua Tree'."

Much of their 90's music was less than Joshua Tree's height in terms of captivating the listener. I think U2 would agree the 90's were not so great and that's why All That You Can't Leave Behind in 2000 was so powerful. Bono decided this would be it, write one more album, speak from the heart, write from the heart and then sing from the heart. The lights had been turned down in the 90's, literally, they sang in the dark, so for ATYCLB, U2 had the infamous golden arch from their Zoo Tour broken down and welded into a new stage to tour from, a heart filled with lights.

Whatever drugs, depression or greed the band enjoyed from their financial success in the 90's, it left them with stale, dark music and their fire was dying. The late 90's left Bono with a close friend who committed suicide (Michael Hutchence) a father dying from cancer and heart filled with sorrow. All That You Can't Leave Behind is a collection of songs about sorrow and it's antibiotic, joy. Beautiful Day is a simple formula, it's dark out, things suck, but...it's a beautiful day.

Listening to No Line on the Horizon it's clear the band matured and they're writing about the things they see in middle-aged life. It's apparent Bono doesn't intend to shut up and that's a good thing atmo.

For the album cover of All That You Can't Leave Behind below, they created a scene at an airport in France. Bono is on the phone, who's he calling? In the original photo below, notice the sign on the wall to their left and then see what U2 photo-shopped in it's place. That little piece of evidence explains where they've been heading since 2000.

Regarding Achtung Baby:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achtung_Baby

fiamme red
03-09-2009, 10:29 AM
I was like that with Ornette Coleman for a long time - what's all that squeaking and squawking? I got past that and love Ornette now.It's Ornette Coleman's birthday, and you can listen to his music all day at http://www.columbia.edu/cu/wkcr/.

It's Bix Beiderbecke's birthday tomorrow: 24 uninterrupted hours of his music on WKCR. :beer:

norman neville
03-09-2009, 07:18 PM
the dublin messiah scattering crumbs

seriously, if u2 had had the good sense to pull a buddy holly between the recording and the release of war, then they would have gone down as a pretty nifty little band, and the world would only have guessed how big of a pompous, empty-headed bass turd paul hewson and his boys could become.

and u2 is not an irish band; they're a dutch band.

and yes yes yes i know, if you were born in the 60's boy was a pretty good record, with any luck like a gateway drug to the much better music out there then and now.

blow your tuneless trumpet.

mosca
03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
...with any luck like a gateway drug to the much better music out there then and now.

blow your tuneless trumpet.Indeed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcnI6WRfCec)

girlie
03-09-2009, 08:09 PM
beep beep boop boop.

Well gateway drugs have been the train of much greatness. I'll ride that train. I'll hitch that ride.
No respect.
Go make something. Go be a participant, a player, an opinion maker:
Stand up - what do you have to say?
Like them or not.
Like them because they are tuned hate them because they are spoken.
I got respect for anyone making - even the sachs.
Making is a tough gig and criticizing an easy.

participant or spectator?
player or hater?

little off topic or is it?

girlie

Viper
03-09-2009, 08:33 PM
the dublin messiah scattering crumbs.

Welp, some people run on ego, others wit, words or charm. If someone doesn't dig U2, I'm sure they don't mind and when ego, wit or words expire, those Irish lads can simply rely on their good looks. It's what I do.

Crumbs was a good song atmo, literally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pi7JFn1Cyg

:beer:

Jeff N.
03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
They have one or two good songs they play 300 different ways. It's all 2:2 marching music that makes me want to goose-step across the floor. I just never got it. That's just my opinion, and each to his/her own.I've always thought they were OK, but I've never been a big U2 fan. At one point, I thought they were the one band most in need of a bath. Jeff N.

girlie
03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
I've always thought they were OK, but I've never been a big U2 fan. At one point, I thought they were the one band most in need of a bath. Jeff N.

I see you are from San Diego........I know what you mean though mine is for most Boston guys/people. I mean shave and take a bath for gods sake. But what does that have to do with anything in this thread?

girlie

rounder
03-09-2009, 09:17 PM
beep beep boop boop.

Well gateway drugs have been the train of much greatness. I'll ride that train. I'll hitch that ride.
No respect.
Go make something. Go be a participant, a player, an opinion maker:
Stand up - what do you have to say?
Like them or not.
Like them because they are tuned hate them because they are spoken.
I got respect for anyone making - even the sachs.
Making is a tough gig and criticizing an easy.

participant or spectator?
player or hater?

little off topic or is it?

girlie

I agree with that... whether it is making your own music or building your own bikes, etc. i was never a big U2 fan but liked their movie (Rattle and Hum) and some of their songs a lot. But i have lots of respect for them getting up on the stage and write and sing what they believe, regardless. For me though, no one has ever done it in music like Bob Dylan. Protest and love songs to funky blues...no problem.

girlie
03-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I agree with that... whether it is making your own music or building your own bikes, etc. i was never a big U2 fan but liked their movie (Rattle and Hum) and some of their songs a lot. But i have lots of respect for them getting up on the stage and write and sing what they believe, regardless. For me though, no one has ever done it in music like Bob Dylan. Protest and love songs to funky blues...no problem.

I said, "God Damn!"

Dylan is my true love!

girlie

rounder
03-09-2009, 10:36 PM
I know this is old (and not U2) but i used to love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qhwemir1Ag

norman neville
03-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Indeed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcnI6WRfCec)

atmo.

93legendti
03-09-2009, 11:02 PM
I liked U2 thru Achtung Baby, which I thought was a great rock cd.

Blue Jays
03-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Decent music and catchy tunes. Liked them more during the Boy, October, War, and The Unforgettable Fire days. After that, my interest waned.
I think it might have had something to do with Bono's propensity towards wearing those absurdly-tinted eyeglasses all the time.