PDA

View Full Version : Austin and environs

Onno
03-06-2009, 10:29 AM
My wife and I are biking in the Fredericksburg TX area in 2 weeks, for about a week. This is our first cycling holiday during which we'll actually be riding our own bikes, having just invested in two Iron Cases.

We won't be riding ALL the time, though, so I'm wondering if forumites have suggestions about things we should do and see while in the area.

Many thanks,
Onno

rockdude
03-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Spend a day at Enchanted Rock State Park outside of Frederickburg. If you enjoy a little hiking, its a cool place. If you like BBQ, stop by Coopers in LLano. I bet you will see lots wild flowers and everywhere you go will be great. All of the Texas Hill country is pretty this time of then year.

Have a great tiime..

gone
03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Spend a day at Enchanted Rock State Park outside of Frederickburg. If you enjoy a little hiking, its a cool place. If you like BBQ, stop by Coopers in LLano. I bet you will see lots wild flowers and everywhere you go will be great. All of the Texas Hill country is pretty this time of then year.

Have a great tiime..

Don't get your hopes up on the wildflowers. Very little rain here for a very extended period of time.

Climb01742
03-06-2009, 01:20 PM
for any meal of the day, here's a place worth trying...

http://www.cafemagnolia.com/

rockdude
03-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Don't get your hopes up on the wildflowers. Very little rain here for a very extended period of time.

If the wildflowers are a bust, head down to Gruene and New Braunfels. Lots of neat things to do around there.

Onno
03-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Speaking of food, does anyone know of restaurants that serve good vegetarian fare? I imagine in Texas one shouldn't make too big a deal of this, but Austin and Fredericksburg must have a few vegetarians!

Thanks again,
Onno

Floyd Dakil
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Casa de Luz is a haven for vegetarians. It's a stone's throw from Zilker Park and the hike and bike trail. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. And since you're on vacation, you might as well splurge.

http://www.casadeluz.org/index.htm

billrick
03-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Ride the Willow City Loop. You'll see some traffic this time of year, but it will be moving at 15 mph as everyone gawks at the scenery.

:)

Steelhead
03-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Speaking of food, does anyone know of restaurants that serve good vegetarian fare? I imagine in Texas one shouldn't make too big a deal of this, but Austin and Fredericksburg must have a few vegetarians!

Thanks again,
Onno

In Austin, you can try: Mother's Cafe, Galaxy Cafe, Veggie Heaven, Mr. Natural, & Kerbey Lane for good stuff. Mother's is one of the old stand bys and has just been completely remodeled after a bad fire.

paczki
03-09-2009, 09:03 AM
We're in Fredericksburg now. Did this yesterday and can strongly recommend it.
Bring lots of water! Climbs are not hard, just pleasantly rolling mostly. Stop at Harry's for a beer at the end of the Willow City Loop. It looks like a biker bar but.. well it is. But you can sit outside:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Willow-City-Loop

Our friend is praying for rain (it's a bit dry now, but it should be in bloom when you get here).

bzbvh5
03-09-2009, 10:34 AM
We won't be riding ALL the time, though, so I'm wondering if forumites have suggestions about things we should do and see while in the area.

I have my own opinions about the event and that's all I'm going to say about that.

A great place to eat is the Hilltop Restaurant. Go 11 miles west from Fredericksburg on Hwy 87. It looks like a abandoned gas station where you might be able to get a greesy burger. That's not on the menu. The food is made by a chef not a cook.

Ride down Old Mason road when the wind is from the North or West direction. You will never enjoy yourself so much on your bike. I'll be with you in spirit.

grateful
03-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Does anyone have an opinion regarding Round Rock? I may be relocating there in the near future.

Thanks

trophyoftexas
03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Does anyone have an opinion regarding Round Rock? I may be relocating there in the near future.

Thanks

....that's for sure! It's basically part of Austin now, as Georgetown nearly is, too! Busy area's but some nice riding not far away!

trophyoftexas
03-09-2009, 05:52 PM
We're in Fredericksburg now. Did this yesterday and can strongly recommend it.
Bring lots of water! Climbs are not hard, just pleasantly rolling mostly. Stop at Harry's for a beer at the end of the Willow City Loop. It looks like a biker bar but.. well it is. But you can sit outside:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Willow-City-Loop

Our friend is praying for rain (it's a bit dry now, but it should be in bloom when you get here).

I can vouch for the route and the beer joint!...AND for the "take lots of water!" If Harry's isn't open then this can be close to a 60-miler without a place to buy water....when I "do" F-burg I always put one of those extra two bottle thingie's on my seat tube. I'm coming in on Wednesday, going back into Austin on Thursday morning to do the Wounded Warrior ride out of Mellow Johnny's and then back to FBG to ride the local 20 mile Thursday night ride out of the Hill Country Bicycle Works shop on the main drag. ID yourselves as forumites if you ride any of this Thursday-stuff!

trophyoftexas
03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
I have my own opinions about the event and that's all I'm going to say about that.

I know, the quality of the people you've met on the Hellweek rides is below par!....right?....guess that would include ME!!!!! How ya doin' YELLOW B man!!??? You gonna be in FBG anytime soon?

bzbvh5
03-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I know, the quality of the people you've met on the Hellweek rides is below par!....right?....guess that would include ME!!!!! How ya doin' YELLOW B man!!??? You gonna be in FBG anytime soon?

Everyone I've met has in FBG have been great fun to ride with. No bad memories here. I've said nothing but good things about you and meant every word. Mr. Trophy is probably one of the most knowledgeable about which rides to do in the area.

I'm doing well. I was thinking on coming out there mid week for some riding. I'll e-mail you my plans when I know. I was initially thinking March 18 to 21st.

trophyoftexas
03-10-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm doing well. I was thinking on coming out there mid week for some riding. I'll e-mail you my plans when I know. I was initially thinking March 18 to 21st.

Plans as they stand now are to arrive in FBG tomorrow afternoon (Wed. 3/11) and stay through Friday the 20th....I MAY stay over and do an early morning ride on Saturday the 21st but I have to be in Houston no later than late Saturday afternoon...meeting my wife and granddaughter there for the remainder of the weekend and some wedding planning with my son and his girlfriend....I'd rather go to my own hanging than go to Houston when there's still weekend-riding to do in FBG!!!

We've lost access to the house we used to rent, owner sold it to a guy that actually wants to LIVE there, darn him anyway! I'll be at Lady Bird if you come looking for me! Orange tent-green van!

jscottyk
03-10-2009, 01:57 PM
...Austin and Fredericksburg must have a few vegetarians!

More in Austin than F'burg.

Here are a few more vegetarian options in Austin.

Mr. Natural
http://www.mrnatural-austin.com/

Mother's Cafe
http://www.motherscafeaustin.com/

Daily Juice
http://www.dailyjuice.org/

trophyoftexas
03-10-2009, 07:52 PM
...of veggie places in Austin! I'm a meat eater and can't really contrib. much to this discussion but I've even seen vegetarian fajita's in Austin...now, what the heck is THAT all about!!!??? I mean, no meat sure doesn't sound like any fajita I'd want to eat! Just cant' see the point in that one at all. Seems to me that it should be against the law to call something a fajita that doesn't have SOME kinda meat in there...last year at Hellweek I rode with an old friend from the East Coast and he wanted to go into Austin to get some "really good Tex-Mex".....and then he order the aforeto mentioned veggie fajita's!!!!! Gee's, talk about effin' up "really good Tex-Mex!" Anyway, to each his own....as many tree huggers as there are in Austin I'm sure that the vegetarian crowd is well represented there, too!....after all, as the saying goes....."Keep Austin Weird!" :beer:

hochstes73
03-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Not exactly vegetarian, but when in Fredericksburg - check out the Pasta Bella . Great food and good company. I'm sure Sean (owner) will put together something tasty w/out meat.

Last time I was there I had some Ravioli stuffed with butternut squash - DELICIOSO.

Had to ride an extra 30 miles the next day, but that's another story :)

Have fun - i wish I was going as the riding and scenery are fantastic.

trophyoftexas
03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
....ahh yes, forgot about that one...an ace of a place and run by a cyclist to boot! And like hochstes73 said, they WILL fix specialties for you on the spot. Nice people, too! Gee's as many forumites as there are that have visited FBG you'd think we could put together a "get together/ride" down there sometime.

paczki
03-10-2009, 09:20 PM
If you're looking for a B&B, the place we are staying is fantastic -- B&B Cyclismo. Recommended by Trophy of Texas. Really nice place, terrific people, and a picture of the Gent 6 Day in our room! (Thanks Trophy!)

This aint vegetarian but we've heard it's great. If you're a vegetarian you can eat the side dishes:

http://www.donstrange.com/locations_waring.htm

Yesterday we went on this ride. Nice:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/260056

Today this:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/260056

Cherry Spring Road is incredible -- my favorite road so far. And nary a car in sight for the whole middle part of the ride.

Onno
03-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks for all the info. We've booked our B and B, and will drop in on Hill Country Bikes and several of the restaurants already mentioned. Can't wait to see the sun again!

hochstes73
03-11-2009, 07:32 AM
The words "Gypsum Mine Rd" still make by quads squeal... :)

Enjoy!

bzbvh5
03-11-2009, 11:43 AM
The words "Gypsum Mine Rd" still make by quads squeal... :)

Enjoy!

Start riding at HWY 10 ten miles east Kerrville and proceed north. Repeat after me: "Gypsum Mine Rd is easy".

I remember that road as the one that kicked my tukus the most. You are right though, Gypsum Mine Rd ranks right up there with the worst/best the area has to offer. I dread/hope to do them both real soon.

paczki
03-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Go see Dale Watson play at "Chicken sh*t Bingo" (just what it sounds like) at Ginny's Little Longhorn on Sundays. You will thank me.

Request the transvestite trucker song. :beer:

capybaras
03-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Good prices on Wranglers and Ivermectin at Weinheimer & Son in Stonewall. :D

texbike
03-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Go see Dale Watson play at "Chicken sh*t Bingo" (just what it sounds like) at Ginny's Little Longhorn on Sundays. You will thank me.

Request the transvestite trucker song. :beer:

You made it to Ginny's???? Fantastic!!! Ginny's has to be THE best little honkey-tonk in the entire state and Dale Watson is the icing on the cake. The guy is Gen U Wine.

If you are fortunate enough to be here through this weekend, you can take advantage of some great music during SXSW (www.sxsw.com). There will be more bands and more shows than you could possibly hope to see. There will also be free shows on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday Nights on the South Shore of Town Lake (okay, Ladybird Lake) that features some good Texas artists. Friday Night looks especially good with Bob Schneider, Raul Malo, and The Arc Angels. Saturday Night's free show isn't bad either with Fastball and Eryka Badu.

Also, we have a great radio station here (www.kgsr.com) at 107.1. They play a wide variety of music including a lot of Texas musicians. Give it a try. You may like it

Make sure you take a swim in Barton Springs and have BBQ at Green Mesquite while you're here.

Have Fun!

Texbike

paczki
03-17-2009, 11:58 AM
You made it to Ginny's???? Fantastic!!! Ginny's has to be THE best little honkey-tonk in the entire state and Dale Watson is the icing on the cake. The guy is Gen U Wine.

If you are fortunate enough to be here through this weekend, you can take advantage of some great music during SXSW (www.sxsw.com). There will be more bands and more shows than you could possibly hope to see. There will also be free shows on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday Nights on the South Shore of Town Lake (okay, Ladybird Lake) that features some good Texas artists. Friday Night looks especially good with Bob Schneider, Raul Malo, and The Arc Angels. Saturday Night's free show isn't bad either with Fastball and Eryka Badu.

Also, we have a great radio station here (www.kgsr.com) at 107.1. They play a wide variety of music including a lot of Texas musicians. Give it a try. You may like it

Make sure you take a swim in Barton Springs and have BBQ at Green Mesquite while you're here.

Have Fun!

Texbike

Sadly we weren't there on Sunday, so we missed Ginny's. But we saw the great Mr. Watson at Threadgills. And we saw Joe Ely and Joel Guzman at the Saxon. So we were very happy.

KGRS is great!

billrick
03-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Crap, people. Stop posting this stuff or you'll make me quit my job and move back!!! Shiner Bock just doesn't taste the same up here.

In FBG, check out Rather Sweet, a bakery owned by Dan Rather's daughter. Good stuff, closes after lunch.

Double Ditto on the "carry lots of water" for the Willow City Loop and other rides. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.

texbike
03-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Crap, people. Stop posting this stuff or you'll make me quit my job and move back!!! Shiner Bock just doesn't taste the same up here.

In FBG, check out Rather Sweet, a bakery owned by Dan Rather's daughter. Good stuff, closes after lunch.

Double Ditto on the "carry lots of water" for the Willow City Loop and other rides. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.

KGSR is streaming their shows today during SXSW with a lot of good, local live music. Well worth listening to (the Gourds are on right now!).

www.kgsr.com

Texbike

billrick
03-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks, Texbike! I have KGSR bookmarked on my home computer.

For future archive reference, here is the link to Rather Sweet's website:

http://www.rathersweet.com/index.html

Ride Eat Repeat