PDA

View Full Version : Asphalt strikes again?

BillyBear
12-10-2004, 01:45 AM
just got an e-mail asking me to re-up...any one else get one yet? Where are the rest of my mags from the last time I wrote a check?

Isn't this like Lucy once again asking Charlie Brown if he wants to kick the football? :crap: :no: :confused:

Kevin
12-10-2004, 05:45 AM
The real shame is that it was not a bad magazine. But they are not going to get anymore of my money.

Kevin

bulliedawg
12-10-2004, 06:53 AM
There's a great magazine called the "Oxford American -- A Southern Magazine of Good Writing" that keeps going out of business then coming back. It's stopped and started no less than four times. And I've had a subsription to it during that entire time. And every time it dies, then rises like Lazarus, it always just resumes my subscription. So, what it lacks in business sense, it makes up for in honesty.

Sounds like Asphalt has a lot to learn. I would be hesitant to resubscribe with them. But I wouldn't hesitate about resubscribing with Oxford American.

Bradford
12-10-2004, 07:15 AM
The new issue of Asphalt came to my house yesterday, so they are making an effort.

I hope they make it, so I'm going to cut them a little slack...at least for a while.

dnovo
12-10-2004, 09:51 AM
I got mine today as well. And, I will now don my protective gear before saying this, too much flash, not enough substance. The "Torchbearers" section is nice, the quality of the photographs outstanding, but IMHO the magazine equiv of a coffee table book. The bike tests are woefully short of any form of real 'hard looks', universally praise-worthy, and about as deep as a mirror. Sorry, I will stick with CYCLING PLUS, Le Cycle (if you can get along in French with occasional glances at a dictionary) and TOUR (I read German fairly well.) Compare the testing of bikes and products in these to what you get in ASPHALT and BICYCLING and that says it all. Dave N. ('Ole Grumpy")

madbiker
12-10-2004, 10:54 AM
dnovo, what is on your xmas list? I see no new reviews from you in a while!