PDA

View Full Version : just sayin.........................

vqdriver
03-05-2009, 09:32 PM
i like the hard 'thwapiness' of the campy shifting better than the subtlety of shimano shifting.

rnhood
03-05-2009, 09:58 PM
I like the refinement and precision of Shimano better than the clunky twharpiness of Campagnolo...anyday.

yarg
03-05-2009, 10:00 PM
game on.

paczki
03-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Shifting is for sissies.

Ken Robb
03-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I have both and they are fine but my Suntour Power Ratchet friction shifters are better yet. Game Over. Ask DBRK.

hochstes73
03-05-2009, 10:07 PM
I agree - I enjoy my pre-QS 10spd campy setups - I like the feel at the shifter.

However, you had better stay at pre-2009 campy 10 or jump to campy 11spd in the future. From what I hear (no firsthand experience) the 2009 10 spd shifters have lost the 'thwap-iness' that I love...

Marcusaurelius
03-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I second the simplicity of a set of downtube suntour friction shifters however I do like my campagnolo ergo shifters. If shimano made their sti shifters rebuildable, I would consider using them but alas that's not how they are designed.

Ti Designs
03-05-2009, 10:12 PM
My fixed gear has two speeds - sitting and standing. Shifts just fine between them...

RudAwkning
03-05-2009, 10:16 PM
We can agree that Campy Syncro sucked though, right?

steelrider
03-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I second the simplicity of a set of downtube suntour friction shifters however I do like my campagnolo ergo shifters. If shimano made their sti shifters rebuildable, I would consider using them but alas that's not how they are designed.

+1. When they break, ShimaNO stuff is ready for the "long dirt nap".

Viper
03-05-2009, 10:21 PM
I wonder how many frame builders/bike companies made the switch due to the simplicity of their business model/profit, nothing elsemo. :confused:

Campy rules. :beer:

Edit: Posts # 3 and 4 cracked me up LOL! :)

markie
03-05-2009, 10:33 PM
My fixed gear has two speeds - sitting and standing. Shifts just fine between them...

Ha!

My fixed gear has more speeds than yours. Walking and Skidding.

Monthly Payment
03-05-2009, 10:34 PM
when you're ready, make the leap.

martinrjensen
03-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I like Shimano, never used Campy so I can't compare in that respect. I can comment on the rebuildable aspect though. Seeing as they are both fairly reliable, how much does it cost to rebuild a set of campy 10 spd ergo shifters VS a new set of Shimano? I don't know about DuraAce, but with Shimano, I can get a new set of Ultegra with cables of 10 speed STI shifters (eBay brand new) for $150.00(NOT the Ice Gray). What's it cost to rebuild a pair of comparable Campy stuff?

PacNW2Ford
03-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Dura-Ace 7400 = thwack!

Sandy
03-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Sprinting Standing Sitting Slowly Spinning

Sensational Shimano STI Smooth Shifting Stellar Stopping Seem So Satisfying So Special So Simply Spectacular

Shimano Sandy

SoCalSteve
03-05-2009, 11:38 PM
+1. When they break, ShimaNO stuff is ready for the "long dirt nap".

Actually, when they break, send them back to Shimano and they send you a brand new one free of charge...(well, you do have to pay for the shipping TO Shimano-probaby less than 1 Italian Campy spring)...

Just sayin'

Steve

toaster
03-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Is there a reason why there seems to be more Campy Record 11 than Shimano electronic??

Shimano's now trying to catch up to SRAM.

1. Campagnolo
2. SRAM
3. FSA ?
4. Shimano?

Marcusaurelius
03-06-2009, 12:48 AM
I like Shimano, never used Campy so I can't compare in that respect. I can comment on the rebuildable aspect though. Seeing as they are both fairly reliable, how much does it cost to rebuild a set of campy 10 spd ergo shifters VS a new set of Shimano? I don't know about DuraAce, but with Shimano, I can get a new set of Ultegra with cables of 10 speed STI shifters (eBay brand new) for $150.00(NOT the Ice Gray). What's it cost to rebuild a pair of comparable Campy stuff?

Well I just had the shop rebuild a set of chorus shifters and it was $80 but $60 plus of that was labour. If I was a lot more clever than I presently am I would have rebuilt the shifters myself since the parts cost very little.

Despite what some people think shimano sti shifters do wear out and stop working just like campagnolo ergo shifters will wear out. I've had numerous shimano shifters fail on me after several years of hard use which is fine they served their purpose and it's time to get new ones but I don't like to throw things out quite so easily that's why I'll either stick with downtube, bar end or campagnolo ergo shifters.

Ray
03-06-2009, 02:35 AM
I like 'em both just fine, but I find the "Campy is rebuildable" thing to be waaaaay overrated. When I've had Campy, I've always HAD to rebuild it every couple years of use. Its doable, but not my idea of fun. I've yet to have an STI lever fail on my, or need anything more than a shot of compressed air and a dab or pro-link or something into the mechanism. I'm running two sets of the same 9-speed shifters that I've had since a year or so of when 9-speed became available. Never a problem. To me, that beats rebuildable. YMMV. I like the feel of the Campy hoods a bit more, but I mostly use Shimano because I like to mix and match road and mountain parts and Shimano 9 lets you do that. But for triples, I always use Campy front derailures because they seem better able to handle the weird combinations of rings I usually use.

-Ray

William
03-06-2009, 04:10 AM
Man, I still have a set of Shimano DA STI 8 that refuses to die. Still as solid as day one.

I've ridden Campy and it's ok...if you have girlie hands ( Not to be confused with Girlie's hands which are quite fine :) ). I would rather use a broken stick to shift the gears than use campy. :p

:D

William

thinpin
03-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Shifting is for sissies.
Don't you mean thitheeth

ti_boi
03-06-2009, 04:42 AM
Is it true that a bike -- like a transplant patient -- can reject a given gruppo is said group is say....not of the bike's original type. :rolleyes:

tuscanyswe
03-06-2009, 04:52 AM
The only reason i like campy better is looks (silly i know). I think i actually prefer the shimano shifting and the grip on the hoodies. But hey they both shift and im not uncomfortable on either so campy it is.

damcyclist
03-06-2009, 05:23 AM
I like silver better than black!

Steevo
03-06-2009, 05:36 AM
my Suntour Power Ratchet friction shifters are better yet.

FWIW +1

dekindy
03-06-2009, 05:39 AM
I like silver better than black!

I have not ridden Campy so I cannot comment. I do like the shape of the Campy and SRAM hoods better which is important.

My Shimano shifts so smoothly that I can't tell that if I shifted. Putting the in-line cable indicator solved that problem. More feedback than Shimano gives on a shift would be welcome but I don't know if I would like a clunk either. When my brifters wear out I will seriously consider the other 2. I had only ridden Shimano and my new bike was spec'd with it so I did not even consider anything else. I wish I had taken a look since I have small hands and did not realize that Shimano STI was the only set that was not the same size hoods as my Shimano 6000.

RudAwkning
03-06-2009, 05:42 AM
I like 'em both just fine, but I find the "Campy is rebuildable" thing to be waaaaay overrated. When I've had Campy, I've always HAD to rebuild it every couple years of use. Its doable, but not my idea of fun. I've yet to have an STI lever fail on my, or need anything more than a shot of compressed air and a dab or pro-link or something into the mechanism.

-Ray

Kinda true. I ride and love both. Never had a Shimano STI shifter go south on me. Campy tends to need servicing.

Saying Campy is rebuildable is like saying "Go for a wood dam as beavers can rebuild it, because if that masonry dam goes you're fu(ked." :D

Dave
03-06-2009, 08:14 AM
A lot of these comments are now outdated and some just not correct. QS had no effect on shifter feel. All it does is eliminate some dead travel from the left finger lever. The feel of the 2009 ultrashift ergopower is quite different from 2008 and earlier models. The 10 speed models have very light clicks from the right finger lever, while the thumb buttons and left finger lever retain more distinct clicks, much like before, but still a little lighter. The 11 speed right finger lever has more noticeable clicks, but they are still nothing like the older models.

As for repairing the new levers, the new ultrashift design is supposed to nearly eliminate maintenance, since there are no G-springs or large coil spring to wear out. If maintenance is required, the overhaul is much easier to do. The rear half of the shifter can be diassembled and reassembled in a fraction of the time the old model required.

93legendti
03-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Shifting with Campy hurts my thumbs. I like the Shimano hoods better.

R2D2
03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
I have both and they are fine but my Suntour Power Ratchet friction shifters are better yet. Game Over. Ask DBRK.

Man that brings up some memories.
I used to run that with Huret rear on a lavender Raleigh Competition.
1973 I think.

Maybe not the power shifter but it was a ratchet and the front Suntour had a reverse spring on it.

Climb01742
03-06-2009, 10:16 AM
i personally think campy caused everything that's wrong with america, the middle east, the world, my hair loss and somehow campy even caused baseball to adopt the designated hitter.

there, i said it.

someone had to have the courage.

hehe.

R2D2
03-06-2009, 10:16 AM
We can agree that Campy Syncro sucked though, right?

It sucked.
Remember the chart to match an index gear to chain and freewheel combination? Mine never did work.
Want to buy it? HAHAHA A freind just gave me a Chorus version.
The real problem was the rear derailleur just wasn't designed for indexing.
But with friction shfters you sure could bail on a steep hill.

steelrider
03-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Well I just had the shop rebuild a set of chorus shifters and it was $80 but $60 plus of that was labour. If I was a lot more clever than I presently am I would have rebuilt the shifters myself since the parts cost very little.

Despite what some people think shimano sti shifters do wear out and stop working just like campagnolo ergo shifters will wear out. I've had numerous shimano shifters fail on me after several years of hard use which is fine they served their purpose and it's time to get new ones but I don't like to throw things out quite so easily that's why I'll either stick with downtube, bar end or campagnolo ergo shifters.

+1! Why throw things on the junk pile and add to the environment's problems. Just sayin' (Which ,of course, is a redundant statement)

Ti Designs
03-06-2009, 11:13 PM
i personally think campy caused everything that's wrong with america, the middle east, the world, my hair loss and somehow campy even caused baseball to adopt the designated hitter.

Damn! I started using campy when I was 16, by the time I switched to Shimano most of my hair was gone too...

I would rather use a broken stick to shift the gears than use campy.

Have you ever heard of Modolo Kronos shifters? They were carbon down tube shifters from the 80s which had this habit of breaking off, leaving you with a broken stick to shift the gears with.

Ray
03-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Damn! I started using campy when I was 16, by the time I switched to Shimano most of my hair was gone too...

My hair was intact when I stopped using Campy and didn't start really falling out until I'd been a few years with Shimano, so I can't blame Campy for that. But the designated hitter, yeah, that was them. And that's a FAR more serious matter!

-Ray

Ken Robb
03-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I was only sorta kidding about the Suntour power ratchets. I have a bike with Nuovo Record gruppo which looks cool but shifting it requires more skill to shift perfectly nor does it feel as slick as Power Ratchets of which there were two versions. The second version has finer ratchets and is even better than the first which seemed about perfect in the first place.
We discuss the benefit of some Campy shifters that allow multiple shifts in one movement of the lever. With friction shifters I can get from one to all gears in a single move every time. The Power Ratchets just make it easier for me to hit the exact number I want. Better riders than I can probably do as well with Nuovo Record.

Now that I think about it, Campy front shifters are a bit like power ratchets. You get to stop moving the lever at any number of clicks that gets you the ring you want. The clicks are coarser than either version of Power Ratchets, however.

I don't recommend them for racers but for an Allrounder type of bike they are kinda neat. You can also swap wheels with different brands of cassettes and different numbers of cogs easily too because you don't have to match index spacing. If any body has ever worn a set out I never heard about it.

William
03-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Have you ever heard of Modolo Kronos shifters? They were carbon down tube shifters from the 80s which had this habit of breaking off, leaving you with a broken stick to shift the gears with.

Oooooooooo, I LOVE campy horror stories!! Tell me another.

William

Seott-e
03-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Campy !!!

rounder
03-07-2009, 01:57 PM
I had 8-speed duraace with downtube shifters (i think they were 9-speed) on my bike for awhile. The shifting was really positive and had a nice thunk sound.

I later changed it all over to campy ergo. I found myself shifting more, but it was a totally different sensation. Also, for the first few weeks, i found myself reaching down for the shifters which were no longer there.

thwart
03-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Campy = Hurst 4 speed (nice mechanical feel, requires some force, get the sense it's bulletproof)

Shimano = Honda 5 speed (super precise, but kind of delicate feeling and, well, sort of girlie... ;) :D )

steelrider
03-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Oooooooooo, I LOVE campy horror stories!! Tell me another.

William

Modolo is the maker of these, not Campagnolo.

Ken Robb
03-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Modolo is the maker of these, not Campagnolo.
Campagnolo, Modolo it's all them "olo" things. I want something American--I want a Schwinn. :beer:

rounder
03-07-2009, 09:49 PM
If i was going retro, the thing i liked the most was down tube shifters. I would deinitely go if they were offered in 10-speed (four on the floor mentality).

fierte_poser
03-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Campy = Coca-Cola
Shimano = Pepsi

RudAwkning
03-07-2009, 10:47 PM
If i was going retro, the thing i liked the most was down tube shifters. I would deinitely go if they were offered in 10-speed (four on the floor mentality).

Shimano offers 10spd DTs. Campy offers 10spd barcons which can be converted to DTs. :D

rounder
03-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Shimano offers 10spd DTs. Campy offers 10spd barcons which can be converted to DTs. :D

Thanks RudAwkning. I am goint to look into that.