PDA

View Full Version : Robin Williams Heart Surgery

97CSI
03-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Guess whatever the elder Mrs. Bush has is catching. Robin Williams also complained of 'shortness of breath' and is also going in for an aortic valve replacement. Guessing he will be off the bike for a couple of weeks. Best of luck to both. http://www.comcast.net/articles/entertainment/20090305/ENTERTAINMENT-US-WILLIAMS/

gasman
03-05-2009, 08:49 PM
He should do well-young,healthy but his brother died apparently during/after cardiac surgery. I wonder what happened ?

best of luck to him.

rnhood
03-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Robin may be healthy but, he didn't look that way to me. Maybe alcohol is finally taking its toll on him.

rounder
03-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I was never a mork and mindy fan, but liked the fact that Robin Williams is into bikes. Hope he is ok and gets well soon.

ti_boi
03-06-2009, 03:58 AM
Get well soon. From one teacher to another. Carpe Diem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZHW5jxo53E&feature=channel

And at nine minutes....we....have.....bicycle content.... :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB7QPfrkf8g&feature=related

Ray
03-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Robin may be healthy but, he didn't look that way to me. Maybe alcohol is finally taking its toll on him.
Yeah, he put that mind and body through some ***** over the years. Enough substance abuse and insanity (come on, nobody who's THAT manically funny can actually be sane!) that something would have to give as you near 60. He might have ridden a lot and been quite fit, but never forget there's a BIG difference between fit and healthy. Being fit, up to a point, can help you be healthier, but you can still be very fit and very unhealthy. And, sometimes, those who are the MOST fit are the least healthy. I don't think, for example, that riding the Tour de France can possibly be good for your health. But those are some wickedly FIT mofos.

-Ray

gemship
03-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Yeah, he put that mind and body through some ***** over the years. Enough substance abuse and insanity (come on, nobody who's THAT manically funny can actually be sane!) that something would have to give as you near 60. He might have ridden a lot and been quite fit, but never forget there's a BIG difference between fit and healthy. Being fit, up to a point, can help you be healthier, but you can still be very fit and very unhealthy. And, sometimes, those who are the MOST fit are the least healthy. I don't think, for example, that riding the Tour de France can possibly be good for your health. But those are some wickedly FIT mofos.

-Ray

+1 A friend forwarded a obituary of a 46 year old guy that we both knew in our town. He had a similar life to Robin Williams as well as a likeness in energy on the grounds of being somewhat obnoxious. I extend my condolences to his family but not entirely surprised to hear of his passing. I also agree about the dudes on the tour. The tour really is the exact polar opposite of someone laid up on a couch pretty much everyday chasing chronic back pain with pills. It's manic behavior but not necessarily striking the balance of good health.

thwart
03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Aortic valve disease is usually not related to lifestyle issues, unless it's endocarditis (valve infection) from IV drug use.

He probably had a valve that was defective from birth, and since it's now causing him symptoms (from either being too narrow---'stenosis', or too leaky---'insufficiency'), and needs to undergo valve replacement.

Obviously anything can happen, but cardiothoracic surgeons love to operate on folks like Robin, who keep themselves in good physical condition.

bocarider
03-06-2009, 12:22 PM
My dad, who was (and is) both not fit and not healthy had valve replacement surgery 12 years ago. He was a smoker who never exercised a day in his life and ate red meat on a daily basis (and he is a physician no less).

He has had a pretty good run with his valve surgery and is just now, at age 73 having some issues with the valve.

It is pretty common surgery these days and people get good results.

Dekonick
03-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Wonder if he will go porcine or mechanical...

click click click click click...

jimp1234
03-06-2009, 02:36 PM
His humor was always a bit manic for me, but he's a local Norcal guy so I wish him well. Here's a question for the healthcare folk in the room. Can he go back to riding with his condition?

thwart
03-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Can he go back to riding with his condition? Absolutely.

Probably will be faster than he was before.

There is a possibility he will be taking a blood thinning medication afterwards, which may make him (well, it would me, anyway) more cautious in the corners... :D

gasman
03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Wonder if he will go porcine or mechanical...

click click click click click...

He'll almost certainly get a mechanical valve as they last a lot longer than tissue (porcine) valves which are good for 10-15 yrs tops. Too bad he'll be on blood thinners the rest of his life.

NRRider
03-06-2009, 04:55 PM
All I can say is I hope he comes through with flying colors, if for no other reason so he can continue to come up with stuff as funny as this. I thought I was going to bust my gut watching this the first time. It's the golf discussion. (Those offended by the f word need not click.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDQd49rEF_0

I've also heard from my sister-in-law that he visits the University of San Francisco hospital pediatrics ward each year and really puts a smile on the kids' faces. Seems like a real nice guy.

Erik.Lazdins
03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Dekonick
03-06-2009, 10:22 PM
He'll almost certainly get a mechanical valve as they last a lot longer than tissue (porcine) valves which are good for 10-15 yrs tops. Too bad he'll be on blood thinners the rest of his life.

The newer porcine valves (how they make a pig valve better is beyond me) are supposed to last longer... but patients are still told the 10 year deal...

Mechanical valves are wild - talk about a built in HR montitor -

click click click click.... that would drive me nuts at night!

Elefantino
03-07-2009, 06:28 AM
He was supposed to take a week off and then resume his tour in Jacksonville.

The thought of that, apparently, was enough to make him choose surgery.

scooter
03-07-2009, 04:52 PM
This link from WebMD answers more questions about the surgery: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20090306/robin-williams-needs-heart-surgery

I think I'd opt for the porcine valve - no clicking or extended use of blood thinners. Anyway, I've been called a pig all my life I might as well start becoming one!