PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) steel frame ride report

joelh
03-05-2009, 04:49 PM
After buying my Colorado, the felt that I stared with saw very little action. I started looking around for an inexpensive steel frame for an everyday/light tourer bike.

I picked up an 99 Schwinn Peloton with an kenisis carbon fork and moved the 105 group off the felt to the new frame.

Today was my first chance to really ride the bike. It is smooth! It is not as responsive (daresay twitchy) as the colorado due to a bit more relaxed geometry. I will have to say that it is the smoothest ride that I have ever been on. I guess the combination of the 853 frame and carbon fork is super dampening.

I built this bike with the idea of using it for the 7 day cycle NC event in the fall and based on this initial ride, it should do fine.

avalonracing
03-05-2009, 05:17 PM
That was our team bike in '99. Everyone loved the bike from our speedy Cat 1-2 squad to our hardened 30+ guys.

Smooth and stable, yet fast, is what everyone kept saying. They are good used buys and if you can find a Paramount from the same vintage those rock too.

Ken Robb
03-05-2009, 06:42 PM
I rode one with an aluminum fork and it was pretty good too but the carbon fork was better yet.