PDA

View Full Version : Anti-cyclist Op/Ed piece

rwsaunders
03-05-2009, 04:41 PM
This is the kind of trash that a local weekly rag (20 pages) allowed to be printed, as written by one of their regular Op/Ed contributors. I have posted the piece on www.bike-pgh.org and I intend to respond to the editor as soon as I calm a bit....the author's email is below. Feel welcome to share your opinion. Some day maybe this crap will end.

"I always thought the classical example of the immovable object and the unstoppable force could only be found in Greek mythology.

But I've discovered a modern version. The immovable object is the bicycle enthusiast that I happen upon on the narrow asphalt paths that we call roads. They ain't movin' outta the way for nuthin.’ The unstoppable force, of course is me, 'caus I gotta gas pedal.

I mean, bless their little spandex hearts, I admire their exercise ethic. But not at the expense of me havin' to go into double-dare, eyeball-to-eyeball, head-on traffic like a fearless bullfighter of Hemingway proportions unflinchingly facing destiny at the risk of life, limb to accommodate these persons of bicycle.

I finally got past one the other day when I made the mistake of casually mentioning to him, in passing, that perhaps he could be a little more considerate and ride where they have bike trails, like North Park or the North Pole. Just get outta my way.

I didn't even use that many adjectives, I swear. Well, let me tell you, he hightailed it right after me. I think that's what they call it when their but goes up in the air and they go into high gear.

I'm thinking his intention was clearly, at close-range, with malice, to aggravate me with loud decibel epithets. But the unstoppable force was long gone."

The Author: Tom Mitrakos tommitrakos@comcast.net

The Editor: Jim McNamara J.McNamara@gatewaynewspapers.com

pdbrye
03-05-2009, 05:00 PM
A-hole. God forbid he's 30 seconds late for his Dunkin Donuts.

Blue Jays
03-05-2009, 05:02 PM
That automobile driver is a nitwit!

paulrad9
03-05-2009, 08:24 PM
He's trying to be funny in a Bob Newhart type of way

rugbysecondrow
03-05-2009, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=rwsaunders]
"I finally got past one the other day when I made the mistake of casually mentioning to him, in passing, that perhaps he could be a little more considerate and ride where they have bike trails, like North Park or the North Pole. Just get outta my way[U].

."

QUOTE]

Sure, after tailing the guy for a while, I am sure he just casually mentioned that there are bike paths available.

Look, there are cyclists who are dicks and don't obey traffic laws, obstruct lanes etc, but most of us are responsible and aware of our actions. Unfortunately, some drivers are jerks and feel justified in their actions. I had my own fit of rage last week when I was hit in the head with a battery by a passing car. I tried like hell to climb that hill faster than I every had before hoping to catch the car at the upcoming stoplight, but it was to no avail and probably a good thing.

Ray
03-06-2009, 02:54 AM
Look, there are cyclists who are dicks and don't obey traffic laws, obstruct lanes etc, but most of us are responsible and aware of our actions. Unfortunately, some drivers are jerks and feel justified in their actions. I had my own fit of rage last week when I was hit in the head with a battery by a passing car. I tried like hell to climb that hill faster than I every had before hoping to catch the car at the upcoming stoplight, but it was to no avail and probably a good thing.
I wouldn't say the percentage of jerk drivers is any higher than of jerk cyclists. If anything, I'd say generally less because they don't feel the need to fight for their portion of the road. Lots of us get a chip on our shoulder, which we sort of NEED for survival. I'd say 99.9% of motorists around here are VERY courteous and give me plenty of berth. Probably more, based on how infrequently one does something really stupid. And most of the stupid moves are just stupid, not malicious.

The problem is it only takes ONE.

-Ray

RPS
03-06-2009, 06:14 AM
Even if meant as humor – and bad at that -- it’s inappropriate for any newspaper to print something like this. It’s easily inflammatory to the morons that don’t get it.
And most of the stupid moves are just stupid, not malicious.

The problem is it only takes ONE.

-Ray
Agree. However, when it’s intentional I have little sympathy for them. That someone actually finds pleasure in buzzing a cyclist is inconceivable.

Ray
03-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Even if meant as humor – and bad at that -- it’s inappropriate for any newspaper to print something like this. It’s easily inflammatory to the morons that don’t get it.

Agree. However, when it’s intentional I have little sympathy for them. That someone actually finds pleasure in buzzing a cyclist is inconceivable.
Oh yeah, absolutely. I wasn't in any way trying to absolve the jerk who wrote that article (or the paper that printed it). Just responding to the earlier post to say that, on balance, I don't find drivers to be any ruder than cyclists, probably a bit less so. But again, I can encounter 100 rude cyclists and they'll just piss me off. It only takes one rude motorist to kill you. Fortunately, the vast majority are quite courteous and people I'm more than happy to share the roads with.

-Ray

rwsaunders
03-06-2009, 06:58 AM
I sent this reply to the editor last evening, as the issue that bothered me the most, as stated by RPS, was that this was published in a community newspaper. We'll see if it goes anywhere.

Dear Ms. Palmiero:

I find it somewhat disturbing that The Herald and Gateway Newspapers has allowed such a narrow-minded, poorly written op/ed piece regarding cyclists, to be published in a community newspaper. I am referring to the piece that was contributed by Mr. Mitrakos, in the 05 March 09 edition of The Herald.

Never mind that Pennsylvania’s Vehicle Code (Title 75) includes specific guidelines that permit cyclists similar rights as motor vehicles when riding on the roadways. An excerpt from the Vehicle Code is fairly straightforward…. “Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this title.” The author appears to believe that these rules don’t apply to him since he owns a vehicle with a “gas pedal”.

If the piece was intended to be humorous by directing cyclists to be considerate of the author and ride in either “North Park or the North Pole”, then perhaps the author ought to join the lobby to promote the development of bike paths and lanes, as well as pedestrian paths in our community. Cyclists, pedestrians, runners and dog walkers alike would love to be able to use dedicated pathways in order avoid inconveniencing important people such as the author. Most of us would be satisfied just to have Squaw Run Road returned to a navigable road, as it’s current condition is unsafe for all but the heartiest of vehicles.

Future investment in our community’s parks and recreation system should allow us access to a sustainable, healthy and safe environment where walking, cycling and other recreational activities are available to all residents. The development of a safe recreational environment starts with education, awareness and courtesy, and Mr. Mitrakos’ ignorant rants point out just where the education might begin.

A final note….could you please direct the author to utilize the spell-check option of his word processing software? I believe that the word “butt” in his case, is spelled with two t’s.

RW Saunders
Fox Chapel

William
03-06-2009, 07:03 AM
I sent this reply to the editor last evening, as the issue that bothered me the most, as stated by RPS, was that this was published in a community newspaper. We'll see if it goes anywhere.

Dear Ms. Palmiero:

I find it somewhat disturbing that The Herald and Gateway Newspapers has allowed such a narrow-minded, poorly written op/ed piece regarding cyclists, to be published in a community newspaper. I am referring to the piece that was contributed by Mr. Mitrakos, in the 05 March 09 edition of The Herald.

Never mind that Pennsylvania’s Vehicle Code (Title 75) includes specific guidelines that permit cyclists similar rights as motor vehicles when riding on the roadways. An excerpt from the Vehicle Code is fairly straightforward…. “Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this title.” The author appears to believe that these rules don’t apply to him since he owns a vehicle with a “gas pedal”.

If the piece was intended to be humorous by directing cyclists to be considerate of the author and ride in either “North Park or the North Pole”, then perhaps the author ought to join the lobby to promote the development of bike paths and lanes, as well as pedestrian paths in our community. Cyclists, pedestrians, runners and dog walkers alike would love to be able to use dedicated pathways in order avoid inconveniencing important people such as the author. Most of us would be satisfied just to have Squaw Run Road returned to a navigable road, as it’s current condition is unsafe for all but the heartiest of vehicles.

Future investment in our community’s parks and recreation system should allow us access to a sustainable, healthy and safe environment where walking, cycling and other recreational activities are available to all residents. The development of a safe recreational environment starts with education, awareness and courtesy, and Mr. Mitrakos’ ignorant rants point out just where the education might begin.

A final note….could you please direct the author to utilize the spell-check option of his word processing software? I believe that the word “butt” in his case, is spelled with two t’s.

It is also quite apparent that the autor is a SQUIRREL LOVER!!!.

RW Saunders
Fox Chapel
;)

keevon
03-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Did CP run this article?

rwsaunders
03-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Did CP run this article?

K....I only saw this in The Herald. CP seems too intellectual to let a clown like this have a weekly piece.

JohnHemlock
03-06-2009, 08:07 AM
He's trying to be funny in a Bob Newhart type of way

Wait, Bob Newhart is trying to be funny?

keevon
03-06-2009, 08:16 AM
K....I only saw this in The Herald. CP seems too intellectual to let a clown like this have a weekly piece.
Cool. I didn't think they would either, but got nervous when you mentioned a weekly rag.

The Herald's a Trib paper, right? Guess I'm not surprised they'd run this trash. :butt:

Steelhead
03-06-2009, 01:39 PM
My .02 to the editor:

Mr. McNamara,

I have just read an excerpt of your op/ed writer Tom Mitrakos regarding his aggressive stance towards cyclists and thier occupancy of a public roadway.

I won't go into the long drawn out legal speak of how cyclists are a legal vehicle entitled to the same roads as drivers. or how I have known 2 people personally that have been killed at the hands of drivers thinking they had more of a right to the road than the cyclists.

Suffice to say I will leave all that alone and just tell you this, that I will never ever read your publication and will take every opportunity to post more about this idiot on the web. I am shocked that you would allow such hateful and dangerous copy into print.

Good day -