PDA

View Full Version : Winter shoes?

wwtsui
12-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Looking for recommendations for winter MTB shoes (preferably ones that don't break the bank) for a Boston winter. Saw something about Answer Kashmir shoes somewhere (maybe Velonews) -- anybody have experience with those? Thanks.

csb
12-09-2004, 10:25 PM
they'll make your toes numb

itsalldark
12-09-2004, 10:51 PM
I just got a pair of the new North Wave Gortex Winter shoes. Streamlined, very light and very warm. I am very impressed with the shoe so far. I have used it on a few long rides of just under three hours in temps in the mid twentys and thay have been toasty with just a light coolmax sock under them!

crossjunkee
12-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Check Lickbike.com, they have them on sale right now. They're the perfect winter shoe.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2969-40'

FierteTi52
12-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Be careful with the Lake MXZ300. The toe box is very narrow. I tried a pair and the toe box was too tight for my fat feet. I had to send them back. Too bad because they are really nice shoes.
Jeff

PBWrench
12-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Sidi Storms are really good, but, like all Sidis, costly. I've had them for two winters and they are comfortable, with one pair of normal socks into the upper 20's.

bags27
12-10-2004, 07:57 AM
I've had the Sidis for two winters now also, and can speak highly of them. However, I have heard wonderful things about Northwaves (whether they're any warmer, I don't know, but I think they're a bit more waterproof). I'd certainly give them a look, though their website is unbelievably annoying: some website designer is obviously in love with himself.

Kines
12-10-2004, 07:58 AM
Don't know for sure about MTB, but for road I use covers and they work great. But you've probably already considered that, huh?

crossjunkee
12-10-2004, 09:39 AM
I felt the Sidi's toebox was much more narrow than the Lake's. Also, I like the double layer of leather with the Lakes. The Sidi's have a synthetic wool interior that I didn't care for. Comfy at first, but sweaty and wet halfway through your ride.

In reality, Lake's, Sidi's, and NW's are all very good shoes. You can't go wrong with either of them...

dnovo
12-10-2004, 10:04 AM
If the Lake fit you, they are the best, bar none. If not, try the Sidi, good, but not as good as the Lakes and pricey indeed. For road shoes, the Sidi and the Northwave are the only way to fly in the Winter. Dave N. (who spends too much time out in the insane cold, because he is himself insane. -- Movie Moment, "I too am strange and unusual." Wynona Ryder, BEETLEJUICE)

AHava
12-10-2004, 01:16 PM
IMO, the cheapest neoprene booties in the bargain bin at REI will do as well or better than winter shoes. I think winter shoes are a scam.

For intermediate temps, say 35-45F, try Gore-Tex socks. Performance house brand have held up for me for 5 years of machine washing and drying. $20, if I recall.

Alex