PDA

View Full Version : Who's buying?

SamIAm
03-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Just wondering, coming right off of NAHBS and the declining economy, who is placing orders and what are you getting or considering?

johnnymossville
03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Wishing I was buying something from the show, but I am working on getting a gently used Cannondale CAAD framed bike for my daughter this weekend.

caleb
03-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Just finalized a new custom Litespeed Icon yesterday evening. Should see it in eight weeks or so.

The build will be a "recession special": Chorus 11, Record/OP Ceramic handbuilts, Deda bars, stem, and seatpost. It'll be the sort of thing I can ride for the next ten years if necessary.

mschol17
03-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Yes I am buying. Tournesol Sportif.

93legendti
03-05-2009, 09:55 AM
I just bought a Bike Friday Tikit, which will be built in Speeding Tikit form:
http://www.bikefriday.com/tikit/robspinkone
Thankfully, I had most of the high speed stuff here.

I also have a used CSi coming today.

I am on the lookout right now but have no specific needs.

BTW, your wife's Goodrich looks very nice.

C5 Snowboarder
03-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a Pegoretti Marcello - get the Frame ordered and then wait till next year on the components. :banana:

whitecda
03-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I have been kicking myself since the weekend that I didn't get in on a DeSalvo anniversary. I have a couple of great bikes. I technically don't need another one. But that will never come around again. I was in the booth when he had 3 spots left. I'm disappointed in myself.

dave thompson
03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
I bought a new Serotta last year (just as the big snows started here :crap: ) I'm going to the Seattle bike show next week and maybe the San Diego bike show next month on the prowl.

Pete Serotta
03-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Yep, going to get a custom HSG (I really like them) :bike: :beer:

oops looked at my checkbook AND will have to postpone any new purchases.... :confused:

jthurow
03-05-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm dreaming of a Goodrich with a new Pacenti Bi-plane road crown and Paul Center-pulls. ...in a French blue. I think I'm finally going to be able to make that dream a reality ;)

jimi

MarleyMon
03-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Who's buying? - You sound like me at the hyatt bar.

Don - you are right on the Desalvo - wwit?

SamIAm
03-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, with a Goodrich, Weigle and DeSalvo coming, I shouldn't be ordering anything, but when it comes to bikes and wine, I have never shown much restraint.

One of the things my wife and I were looking for at the show was a tandem. We stopped by Kirk's booth and were chatting with him. We mentioned that we may be in the market for a tandem and the line of questioning went something like "How strong is your marriage?". "Are you sure?" "You should really give this some more thought." You get the idea. We did see some nice tandems there ranging from the practical Co-motion to the beautiful Bilenky and extravagant Calfee. But we decided to heed Dave's advice and rent one for a week or so to see if its our cup of tea.

The big surprise for me was that I was tempted to move away from earlier statements that I would never go outside of the core group of builders Kirk, Goodrich, Sachs and Weigle. If I do, it will be to Dave Wages and Kelly Bedford.

mschol17
03-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, with a Goodrich, Weigle and DeSalvo coming, I shouldn't be ordering anything, but when it comes to bikes and wine, I have never shown much restraint.

One of the things my wife and I were looking for at the show was a tandem. We stopped by Kirk's booth and were chatting with him. We mentioned that we may be in the market for a tandem and the line of questioning went something like "How strong is your marriage?". "Are you sure?" "You should really give this some more thought." You get the idea. We did see some nice tandems there ranging from the practical Co-motion to the beautiful Bilenky and extravagant Calfee. But we decided to heed Dave's advice and rent one for a week or so to see if its our cup of tea.

The big surprise for me was that I was tempted to move away from earlier statements that I would never go outside of the core group of builders Kirk, Goodrich, Sachs and Weigle. If I do, it will be to Dave Wages and Kelly Bedford.

Tandems are great. The stronger rider will do more work than on a single, and the less strong rider will do less work than on a single. There's no dropping, and you can have a nice chat with your wife while riding your bike. Nothing better.

jbl
03-05-2009, 10:49 AM
I just took delivery of a 2009 Raleigh One-Way and am in the process of kitting it out. Still trying to decide on what combination of bike luggage I want.

rugbysecondrow
03-05-2009, 11:04 AM
I just took delivery of a 2009 Raleigh One-Way and am in the process of kitting it out. Still trying to decide on what combination of bike luggage I want.

Those are sharp looking bikes. Have you ridden it yet? How goes it?

thwart
03-05-2009, 11:07 AM
we decided to heed Dave's advice and rent one for a week or so to see if its our cup of tea. Wise move.

We didn't have as much luck... my wife is a dedicated bike commuter, so she does a lot of riding. However, the inability to be 'in control', see the road, and other similar issues made our tandem a disposable item. She never really enjoyed it. It'll be on the market as soon as Spring hits here.

And yet I know several couples who love 'em...

Volant
03-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I see a Bedford in my future. But, I'll have to move some inventory first. The VXRS will probably be on the block first.

Climb01742
03-05-2009, 11:14 AM
i'm getting a gaulzetti. better known, perhaps, as the jerk. what did folks at the show think of craig's/the jerk's bike?

RudAwkning
03-05-2009, 11:16 AM
I've exchanged a half dozen e-mails with a builder. We have all the fabrication and aesthetic details worked out. Now I just need to decide if I want the rear end to be 120 or 130 :D

And do I really need a 12th bike? (one for each month perhaps?)

Len J
03-05-2009, 11:17 AM
i'm getting a gaulzetti. better known, perhaps, as the jerk. what did folks at the show think of craig's/the jerk's bike?

I was there for 2 days and never noticed them.......or if I did, never made the association. Where was their booth?

Len

Climb01742
03-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I was there for 2 days and never noticed them.......or if I did, never made the association. Where was their booth?

Len

no clue. but if i know craig, in a bar. :beer:

Len J
03-05-2009, 11:20 AM
My list:

1.) Bulletproof, made for purpose commuter. Saw a lot at the show I liked, but am undecided as of now....may go used first.

2.) travel bike. (May merge 1 & 2)

3.) Speedvagen 2010........that bike was Hot

4.) Crumpton

But I've got to sell & buy a house first...sigh

Len

alancw3
03-05-2009, 11:31 AM
because of the financial markets and the real estate market i have been forced to put on hold my purchase of a carbon fiber bike at this time. perhaps in a year or two. still happy with my c'dale six13 and just glad i sold all of my other bikes. the only silver lining i can see in this current environment is that many of us (retired and living on investments) have now been forced into a reality check.

jbl
03-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Those are sharp looking bikes. Have you ridden it yet? How goes it?

I love it, although I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't have gotten a Detour Deluxe or Sojourn instead (gears, discs, generator hub, for $100 more).

My short review is that the bike is greater than the sum of its component parts. The parts themselves are nothing to write home about (and questionable in places), but the bike as a whole really works well, I think.

If you're so inclined, you can read my much-wordier review at:
http://antisociology.wordpress.com/2009/02/25/roll-on/

EDIT: Just want to add that the ride of the tires has improved somewhat over the past week of commuting. The bike shop probably just put too much pressure in them to begin with, or they needed some time to break in a little.

Ken Robb
03-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Tandems are great. There's no dropping, and you can have a nice chat with your wife while riding your bike. Nothing better.
Nothing better? Gee, you must be OLD! :)

Climb01742
03-05-2009, 11:47 AM
My list:

4.) Crumpton

about a year ago i placed my order with nick. the f/f arrived late last fall. stunning. i'll build it up soon for spring. high hopes. the workmanship looks flawless.

Ozz
03-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I think I will go with "pent up demand".....I'm saving money, paying bills and when I feel confident that both my wife and I will have jobs in the long run, then I will look to buying.....

My wish list...

Mountain bike for riding around with kids....
commuter / touring bike for being a more regular commuter (fenders and panniers don't fit on my current bikes)...
Carbon bling bike just because I want one....

No particular order.....probably a factory bike for the mountain bike.....a Kirk or Davidson for the commuter.....Crumpton, Time, Look, Serotta, Pinarello for the carbon.....I figure I have at least a year to figure this all out.

Tobias
03-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Not me. I tend to keep things for a long time unless it is made obsolete by a new must-have product. The economy doesn't help, but realistically I wouldn't be buying anyway.

Len J
03-05-2009, 12:25 PM
about a year ago i placed my order with nick. the f/f arrived late last fall. stunning. i'll build it up soon for spring. high hopes. the workmanship looks flawless.

His bikes at the show gave me the same impression.

Can't wait to hear your ride review.

len

mschol17
03-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Nothing better? Gee, you must be OLD! :)

Ha! I meant on the bike...

paczki
03-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm going to have Chris Igleheart make me a Rohloff//Disc Brake/// 29er with drop bars that can take BIG tires. It will be ready for R2D2.

ericspin
03-05-2009, 01:01 PM
My agreement with my wife is that bike dollars must be recycled. Therefore, I plan to do my best detail job on a couple things that will be posted in the classifieds soon.

Upon the sales I will be doing some _bidness_ with Mr. Strong. I have done my research and for what I am looking for in my next frame he is the man. Plus, I will get to talk to his wife on the phone. Sorry Carl.

I know the frou-frou paint job on MTB's was hashed in the last couple of days and I agree. Believe me, though, Spectrum will paint my next frame after all of their beautiful work I saw in Indy. No frou-frou, just a utility coating.

dekindy
03-05-2009, 01:40 PM
I have a set of Shimano 7850SL road tubeless wheels on the way. No bike buying. I sold my 20-year old Schwinn Paramount that was too low in the front end. Just going to make do with my Serotta Legend. Sigh, Sigh! Terrible isn't it.

johnnymossville
03-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I have a set of Shimano 7850SL road tubeless wheels on the way. No bike buying. I sold my 20-year old Schwinn Paramount that was too low in the front end. Just going to make do with my Serotta Legend. Sigh, Sigh! Terrible isn't it.

great choice of wheels, I have a set and love'm. :)

slowgoing
03-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I have a 25th anniversary steel Spectrum in process by Tom in the barn. Can't wait.

SamIAm
03-05-2009, 02:26 PM
I have a 25th anniversary steel Spectrum in process by Tom in the barn. Can't wait.

Now that sounds nice. How many is he making and what number are you?

BumbleBeeDave
03-05-2009, 02:35 PM
. . . who is placing orders and what are you getting or considering?

Get me a job and I'll buy a bike. I'm trying to stay local and no one is hiring.

I'm also betting there are others on the forum in the same boat but keeping mum.

BBD

garysol1
03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Ordered my new HSG about 2 weeks ago. Guess it will be a couple more weeks till I see it.

Michael Maddox
03-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I have an Argonaut in the works, a Kirk getting close, and a Sachs a-waaaaay off.

You people are a bad influence.

slowgoing
03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Now that sounds nice. How many is he making and what number are you?

I got the last one, I believe it's 25/25. Tom has been great to work with.

I bet BBD is correct, most people are not buying. Not sure I would have ordered a new frameset after last september, but this one was placed before that. I'm being cautious and selling others to make room for anything new I buy. No net negative expenditures on bikes.

billrick
03-05-2009, 02:57 PM
I have a Rock Lobster SS mountain bike in the works that should arrive in April.

Next will be a lugged 650B All-Rounder, by either Goodrich or Wages.

:)

BumbleBeeDave
03-05-2009, 03:07 PM

I bet BBD is correct, most people are not buying. Not sure I would have ordered a new frameset after last september, but this one was placed before that. I'm being cautious and selling others to make room for anything new I buy. No net negative expenditures on bikes.

. . . I would have great trouble justifying another bike. I can only ride one at a time and I love the ones I have.

The real thrust of my comment was that I bet there are plenty of other forum members who are unemployed right now and are just keeping mum about it.

BBD

Climb01742
03-05-2009, 03:14 PM

ditto on tom. the ti frame he built for me was/is glorious, both to ride and to stare at. other builders get talked about more but tom knows his stuff.

Pete Serotta
03-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Tom is a 1st class gentleman, builder, and just a nice guy to work with. :)

weaponsgrade
03-05-2009, 03:25 PM

I'll have to second Kirk's advice. I've tried to get my wife into cycling and she'll ride around in the park on sunny days, but that's about it. I bought a used tandem thinking that might be a better way to get into it since I could still get a good work out and not be 20 miles in front. But if there's a big discrepancy in fitness then it ends up being a lot more work for both people as compared to riding solo. Lots of issues with speed, shifting, and cadence.

Skrawny
03-05-2009, 03:32 PM
An Ottrott.
Red-tinted tubes, methinks.

I can't decide on the lettering though...
-s

Ti Designs
03-05-2009, 04:11 PM
I think I'll get myself a new rear tire.

David Kirk
03-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I think I'll get myself a new rear tire.

Remember it's not about the tire.

dave

Louis
03-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Unless you're the Michelin man...

paczki
03-05-2009, 04:40 PM

dave

Good one :banana:

Ti Designs
03-05-2009, 04:42 PM

It's about all I can afford.

Climb01742
03-05-2009, 04:47 PM

dave

because it's about the bike, right?

:D

don'TreadOnMe
03-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Another Proletariat, order's in.

David Kirk
03-05-2009, 04:53 PM
because it's about the bike, right?

:D

I think it's all about how you use what you have.

Or it's all about the tires.......... I forget now.

Dave

palincss
03-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Tandems are great. The stronger rider will do more work than on a single, and the less strong rider will do less work than on a single. There's no dropping, and you can have a nice chat with your wife while riding your bike. Nothing better.

Oh yes there is. Riding tandem with a child is the most fun you can have on two wheels.

znfdl
03-05-2009, 05:42 PM
A bike with S&S couplers. It is getting too hard to travel / ship a full size case.

ti_boi
03-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I picked up one of these the other day.

Erik.Lazdins
03-05-2009, 06:46 PM

dave

Its a good thing my bladder was voided when I read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

answering the Original Post:

My answer has been the same for the last 36months. I am awaiting my name to rise in the queue in a workshop in 06412.

I have never owned a red bike and am eager to remedy that.

tuscanyswe
03-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I picked up one of these the other day.

A chopped up car? :)

Looks fun and dangerous, what is it?

jeffinCT
03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I just bought a Moots Vamoots frame and fork and ordered a SRAM RED group to put on it. I went with Ritchey WCS Carbon bars and stem and a Thompson Masterpiece Seatpost and Fizik Arione Seat. It should be a nice ride when I build it next week.

JohnHemlock
03-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Tomorrow I am kicking off 3 different frames and buying plane tickets for Spain this summer. Economic slowdown is for weaklings and pedophiles!

Homsie
03-05-2009, 07:17 PM
I just bought a "new" 2004 Waterford R-33 with 7800 Dura Ace. It's been sitting in a local shop since it was new and I was telling the owner every year or so that he should make me a deal on it. It finally happened!! Love it so far....

James

Louis
03-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Economic slowdown is for weaklings and pedophiles!

Hey, were all at NAMBLA '09, where were you?

Peter B
03-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I got a Llewellyn for Christmas and I'm in the que for a Desalvo 10th Anniversary frame. The question is gearlie or fixed...?

jvp
03-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm probably going to stand pat this year and just maintain my fleet of mostly vintage steel bikes - unless a screaming deal comes along such as what has resulted in my current small collection.
I would love to one day get a high end carbon bike, or commission a custom steel frame but until then I will be satisfied w/ the thrill of the hunt...

Hobbscooley
03-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I purchased a pegoretti love 3 late last year and am now in the process of switching over from the sram red to record or super record. Also just picked up a nice set of zero g gold ltd brakes and a san marco team racing saddle. seems like everyone is putting things on sale so now is a great time to buy.

Kirk007
03-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this but I have no lust for any new bikes. I looked at the NAHBS photos and admired many of the classics, but found many of the other offering akin to gilded lilies. Probably would be singing a different tune had I been there....

Maybe if the economy was better I'd be still wishing for a Hampsten, but with the bikes I've got I've got all my riding bases covered and then some. Fast rides - Peg, dirt roads, wet weather, pseudo-cyclocross - Kirk, travel and back up road - Kirk coupled, single speed nasty weather or ride around town or to the store - old 94 Team Motorola MX Leader, a trail bike and a downhill bike built but yet to be ridden. A tandem for riding with the wife. I just can't think of any other categories. I guess I need to come up with some new categories!

Louis
03-05-2009, 11:00 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this but I have no lust for any new bikes. I looked at the NAHBS photos and admired many of the classics, but found many of the other offering akin to gilded lilies.

I'm glad I'm not the only one kind of feeling this way. A related story:

After dinner as the group walked back to the hotel on Saturday DK asked me "Well Louis, what was the one bike that you absolutely had to have?" Although I felt weird saying it, I had to admit that there was no single one. Part of the problem was that like at the Metropolitan Museum in NY, after the 20th great work of incredibly important, world-famous art, you begin to loose your ability to appreciate them as you should. Part of it is that I have a frame or two that I need to build up, so my appetite is nearly sated. Whatever the reason, I felt that I should not be telling one of our very top builders that nothing at the show turned me on, after all, there were many great bikes there, his included.

Louis

Blue Jays
03-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm in the market for a fendered, winter racebike.
Something either in custom steel or custom titanium.
Campagnolo Chorus or Campagnolo Record the likely equipment.

The subsequent bicycle in the lineup will likely be a crossbike.
Haven't quite formulated all my thoughts on that one.
Perhaps a Hampsten Mud Pig or a bike along those lines.
That's a style of racing in which I really wish to participate.

Also have a RS in the queue which is several years out and
will be delivered very long after this chapter of the economy
has been closed.

SoCalSteve
03-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Nothing to do with the Handbuilt Bike Show (which I did not attend)...

But, I just picked up a brand new Colnago Extreme Power and I am very excited to build it up...size 58 sloping in the nude carbon paint scheme 00F

Talk about beefy tubes...this thing looks like it could handle WWIII or the likes of a 6' 5" 230 lbs guy (me).

Just sayin'

Steve

Ray
03-06-2009, 02:46 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this but I have no lust for any new bikes.
I'm with Kirk and Louis, but I've been there for a few years. I have two great Spectrum ti, road bikes, one that's dead solid perfect, and one that serves its purpose very very well but isn't QUITE as much fun. And I've got pretty lugged steel Riv frames in a fixie (Rambouillet) and townie (Bleriot). I want for nothing in terms of riding. There's a side of me that would love to have a really nice lugged steel Spectrum or Kirk or Vanilla road bike, but that's more for eye candy than riding, since I've never been on a frame that rides even close to as nice as my #1 Spectrum. And eye candy doesn't matter when you're actually riding, so that's just consumer lunacy. Probably happen someday, but not particularly soon. There's all sorts of incredible art and craft in the show bikes, but they don't ride any better than the perfectly designed industrial looking ti bike that hangs in my basement.

-Ray

97CSI
03-06-2009, 04:42 AM
Does an order placed last year that will hit the paint-booth next month count? If so, my fully lugged Havnoonian touring bike should be built up by mid-May. Starting to think a fancy lugged road-bike should be next. We'll see.

Steevo
03-06-2009, 05:49 AM
I'm also in the "order placed last year, soon to hit the paint booth" category with a Kirk on the way.

14max
03-06-2009, 06:43 AM

endosch2
03-06-2009, 07:24 AM

How much did you pay for the Raleigh One-Way?

jbl
03-06-2009, 11:59 AM
How much did you pay for the Raleigh One-Way?

About USD$700 after taxes.

Dekonick
03-06-2009, 02:05 PM
I am planning on buying 2 sets of AR's BRA wrap... does that count?

Climb01742
03-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm with Kirk and Louis, but I've been there for a few years. I have two great Spectrum ti, road bikes, one that's dead solid perfect, and one that serves its purpose very very well but isn't QUITE as much fun. And I've got pretty lugged steel Riv frames in a fixie (Rambouillet) and townie (Bleriot). I want for nothing in terms of riding. There's a side of me that would love to have a really nice lugged steel Spectrum or Kirk or Vanilla road bike, but that's more for eye candy than riding, since I've never been on a frame that rides even close to as nice as my #1 Spectrum. And eye candy doesn't matter when you're actually riding, so that's just consumer lunacy. Probably happen someday, but not particularly soon. There's all sorts of incredible art and craft in the show bikes, but they don't ride any better than the perfectly designed industrial looking ti bike that hangs in my basement.

-Ray

i very much respect this position. it's probably the wisest one to have. but...

isn't there some small part of you that wonders if...just maybe...there's something more wonderful out there?

i'm not knocking or questioning satisfaction, not at all, but isn't imagination the water that keeps seeping into the basement of contentment?

SamIAm
03-06-2009, 02:45 PM

isn't there some small part of you that wonders if...just maybe...there's something more wonderful out there?

i'm not knocking or questioning satisfaction, not at all, but isn't imagination the water that keeps seeping into the basement of contentment?

My feelings exactly.

mosca
03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm down for my first custom frame. Some guy in Montana who talks a pretty good game. We'll see if he's got the chops...

Actually it's a gift to myself for 20 years at my job - something more than the acrylic plaque I'm expecting from the company. Plus, I feel it's the duty of the gainfully employed to stimulate the economy - join me in spending our way out of this horrible recession!

Ray
03-06-2009, 03:22 PM

You know Climb (and Sam) - I had that attitude for the first 7-8 years I was riding a lot and I acquired a MESS of bikes along the way. And I'd feel all manner of subtle and less subtle differences. And I enjoyed the hunt and I enjoyed playing with them all and setting them up different ways and just trying everything I could think of. And for all of that time, I had a favorite bike (an early Riv, sort of a slightly modified RB-1, much racier than the stuff Grant is doing these days) and none of the many others I checked out came close to knocking it off its pedestal. But I could imagine riding characteristics that different COMBINATIONS of bikes had that I'd never felt in one bike, so I continued to wonder about what else MIGHT be possible in one bike. I wasn't at all sure the different characteristics I had in mind could all co-exist in one bike, so I was happy with what I had but not totally satisfied. All of my bikes were trade-offs to some extent - even my favorite one. Its just that the tradeoffs of my fave were the best match for me. I was pretty happy with that and prepared to live with it as the ultimate of what was possible. I HAD a very active imagination and probably over-thought the crap out of my bikes and other bikes out there. Was somewhat obsessive about it, actually.

And then I went and spent the morning with Tom and he looked at me on my bike, put me through some of his paces, and we talked for a couple of hours about what I liked and didn't like and what I was hoping for. I couldn't articulate it that clearly, so that's probably why we talked for so long. And I told him pretty clearly that my expectations weren't all that high, because I already had a bike I loved and if the new one didn't raise the bar, I'd at least known I'd tried. I told him about what I thought a perfect bike would feel like, but admitted my doubts about whether all of those characteristics could live in a single bike. So he smiled and took my information and went off and did his thing.

And then when I got the frame and built it up and took it out, I knew within a couple of hours that he'd absolutely nailed it. That all of the best characteristics of the different road bikes I'd owned somehow came together and co-existed in this bike. I didn't trust that feeling at first, so I left the door open to start developing doubts and regaining my bike lust for a couple of years, figuring the new bike smell might wear off at some point. But it didn't. Or hasn't yet, anyway. I still have other bikes (even another Spectrum built for different stuff) and they serve their purposes, but the main purpose they serve is to give me a perspective check so that every time I ride one of them for a while and then get back on my main Spectrum, I'm IMMEDIATELY reminded of just how much it surpasses any other bike I've ever ridden. Its nice to have bikes for different purposes - carrying loads, going off-road more, more relaxed rides, fixed-gear, etc. But the previously active imagination about what else might be possible in a day to day road bike was flat GONE. And now I really honestly cannot even conceptualize anything else I'd want in a different road bike. Because I'd probably already experienced it in one of the many others and found it wanting, however slightly.

I'm sure there are other custom designers / builders who could have nailed it too, but surpassing it is beyond my ability to comprehend. Whether that's a failure of imagination or a perfect mating of a bike to a rider, I have no idea. But I don't care either. Now I just enjoy riding and I think about other stuff.

Like politics, all too often :cool: AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Thinking about bikes was more fun!

-Ray

Ahneida Ride
03-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I'll get a Bedford, if I can make a few frns from HandleBra.

Climb01742
03-06-2009, 03:48 PM
You know Climb (and Sam) - I had that attitude for the first 7-8 years I was riding a lot and I acquired a MESS of bikes along the way. And I'd feel all manner of subtle and less subtle differences. And I enjoyed the hunt and I enjoyed playing with them all and setting them up different ways and just trying everything I could think of. And for all of that time, I had a favorite bike (an early Riv, sort of a slightly modified RB-1, much racier than the stuff Grant is doing these days) and none of the many others I checked out came close to knocking it off its pedestal. But I could imagine riding characteristics that different COMBINATIONS of bikes had that I'd never felt in one bike, so I continued to wonder about what else MIGHT be possible in one bike. I wasn't at all sure the different characteristics I had in mind could all co-exist in one bike, so I was happy with what I had but not totally satisfied. All of my bikes were trade-offs to some extent - even my favorite one. Its just that the tradeoffs of my fave were the best match for me. I was pretty happy with that and prepared to live with it as the ultimate of what was possible. I HAD a very active imagination and probably over-thought the crap out of my bikes and other bikes out there. Was somewhat obsessive about it, actually.

And then I went and spent the morning with Tom and he looked at me on my bike, put me through some of his paces, and we talked for a couple of hours about what I liked and didn't like and what I was hoping for. I couldn't articulate it that clearly, so that's probably why we talked for so long. And I told him pretty clearly that my expectations weren't all that high, because I already had a bike I loved and if the new one didn't raise the bar, I'd at least known I'd tried. I told him about what I thought a perfect bike would feel like, but admitted my doubts about whether all of those characteristics could live in a single bike. So he smiled and took my information and went off and did his thing.

And then when I got the frame and built it up and took it out, I knew within a couple of hours that he'd absolutely nailed it. That all of the best characteristics of the different road bikes I'd owned somehow came together and co-existed in this bike. I didn't trust that feeling at first, so I left the door open to start developing doubts and regaining my bike lust for a couple of years, figuring the new bike smell might wear off at some point. But it didn't. Or hasn't yet, anyway. I still have other bikes (even another Spectrum built for different stuff) and they serve their purposes, but the main purpose they serve is to give me a perspective check so that every time I ride one of them for a while and then get back on my main Spectrum, I'm IMMEDIATELY reminded of just how much it surpasses any other bike I've ever ridden. Its nice to have bikes for different purposes - carrying loads, going off-road more, more relaxed rides, fixed-gear, etc. But the previously active imagination about what else might be possible in a day to day road bike was flat GONE. And now I really honestly cannot even conceptualize anything else I'd want in a different road bike. Because I'd probably already experienced it in one of the many others and found it wanting, however slightly.

I'm sure there are other custom designers / builders who could have nailed it too, but surpassing it is beyond my ability to comprehend. Whether that's a failure of imagination or a perfect mating of a bike to a rider, I have no idea. But I don't care either. Now I just enjoy riding and I think about other stuff.

Like politics, all too often :cool: AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Thinking about bikes was more fun!

-Ray

good answer. ray, your contentment seems water-proof. :beer:

mtb_frk
03-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Well I just got a Seven IMX and will be kicking off a Quiring SS mtb here pretty soon. Now I just need to sell the old bikes...

rePhil
03-06-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm very happy and staying with what I have. Vamoots, Strong, and my TST "work truck"

kipjac
03-06-2009, 08:05 PM

You won't be disappointed. I love my SL

Kirk007
03-06-2009, 08:18 PM

yeah that nagging feeling comes over me on occasion, and then I go for a ride on a bike that I haven't been on for awhile and it passes. Running a non profit in this economy and having a 16 year old who now has almost as many bikes as me has also deflated the buying bug. I'm hoping that if it stays at a relatively diminished level for 5-6 years till my time on ATMO's list arrives, which should then scratch that itch at least til I recover from the kid's college years.

RudAwkning
03-06-2009, 08:58 PM

I was this way about stereo equipment for a long time. Dumped tons of money into equipment, went through the whole "weakest link in the system" phase and was constantly upgrading, but eventually just settled into what I had. I enjoy the music more now that I'm not trying to acheive any sort of perfection of sound. But i don't regret exploring and learning what I did along the way (well maybe I'd like some of my money back).

Bikes are kind of the same thing. But unlike a lot of hobbies, I'm loving the discovery because I actually have some say in the design. I never got to talk to Krell or Mark Levinson or Conrad Johnson abut how I'd like my stereo to sound and how they could tweak it. It's a very special hobby that allows personal interactivity between customer and fabricator in the design process.

I'm sure I'll distill things down to just a handful of bikes someday, but right now I'm having a great time getting to that point.

+ I've got a sickness in pissing money away on expensive activities/hobbies. Better bikes than heroin, right?

Dekonick
03-06-2009, 10:18 PM
I'll get a Bedford, if I can make a few frns from HandleBra.

I will help as soon as you take CC's!!!

BTW - I just did a re-wrap with the last sample I had - no problems at all. I am now of the poinion that the most comfortable option is to wrap with cork first, then wrap with the BRA.

I may never wear gloves again in nice weather! You were right about the combination of the leather and cork... :banana:

And one day, when I have the $$ I plan on getting a Kirk road terraplane and a Zanc rigid mtn bike. Not htis year tho...

Ray
03-07-2009, 01:07 AM
I was this way about stereo equipment for a long time. Dumped tons of money into equipment, went through the whole "weakest link in the system" phase and was constantly upgrading, but eventually just settled into what I had. I enjoy the music more now that I'm not trying to acheive any sort of perfection of sound. But i don't regret exploring and learning what I did along the way (well maybe I'd like some of my money back).

Bikes are kind of the same thing. But unlike a lot of hobbies, I'm loving the discovery because I actually have some say in the design. I never got to talk to Krell or Mark Levinson or Conrad Johnson abut how I'd like my stereo to sound and how they could tweak it. It's a very special hobby that allows personal interactivity between customer and fabricator in the design process.

I'm sure I'll distill things down to just a handful of bikes someday, but right now I'm having a great time getting to that point.

+ I've got a sickness in pissing money away on expensive activities/hobbies. Better bikes than heroin, right?
Yeah, I've been there with guitars too, and to a much lesser extent with coffee equipment. I wouldn't be as 'settled' with my Spectrum if I hadn't tried a lot of other stuff. There's a part of me that thinks I could have saved a LOT of money by going to Tom earlier, but I wouldn't have really known what I wanted earlier. Or if I'd found it.

Its like the old fairy tale - you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you get to the prince (or princess, I presume). Come to think of it, that's kind of how I 'settled' down with my wife too. If I'd met her when I was 19, probably wouldn't have worked. By 24 though, I'd been around the block enough times to know she was the one for me. I'm not reducing her to the level of my material things - probably just raising a couple of cherished material things up a notch or two...

-Ray

Ken Robb
03-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Come to think of it, that's kind of how I 'settled' down with my wife too. If I'd met her when I was 19, probably wouldn't have worked. By 24 though, I'd been around the block enough times to know she was the one for me. I'm not reducing her to the level of my material things - probably just raising a couple of cherished material things up a notch or two...

-Ray

Good save Ray--she came into the room and read over your shoulder didn't she? :)

Ray
03-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Good save Ray--she came into the room and read over your shoulder didn't she? :)
That made me laugh hard enough that I wish I could confirm it Ken. But, no, I had no 'help'.

-Ray

terrytnt
03-07-2009, 07:17 PM
I too have purchased lately. Own a Serotta ST for 3 years and absolutely love this bike with my campy record group and campy neutrons.

Several weeks ago I made the plunge and ordered from Ribble, UK. Get this: I purchased a pair of new Shamal Tubulars for $600 US dollars. They arrived in perfect condition in 3 days and just installed ceramics to top off these fabulous wheels. Got my Veloflex Carbons and will mount next week and hopefully ride soon.

With the dollar/ pound ratio, buying in the UK makes a lot of sense these days. I'm looking to pick up some Assos bibs and will most definitely order from Ribble.

kgreene10
03-07-2009, 08:04 PM
I have been kicking myself since the weekend that I didn't get in on a DeSalvo anniversary. I have a couple of great bikes. I technically don't need another one. But that will never come around again. I was in the booth when he had 3 spots left. I'm disappointed in myself.

+1 on the DeSalvo. I got very close and communicated a bit with Mike about it and then chickened out. However, I did get a fine deal on a Time Edge Racer frameset and managed to finance it completely by selling other stuff. It's both rare and satisfying when you can rationalize a bike purchase financially.

JumpStart
03-09-2009, 11:09 AM
This past December, I picked-up a Surly Steamroller in "Creamroller." Riding Fixed has be a whole lot of fun!

SPOKE
03-09-2009, 07:11 PM

you'll be really pleased with what Tom and Jeff creates for you. I have one of the 25th anniversary bikes that they built for me. what color did you pick??

slowgoing
03-09-2009, 07:16 PM
you'll be really pleased with what Tom and Jeff creates for you. I have one of the 25th anniversary bikes that they built for me. what color did you pick??

Not sure I told Tom yet, but I'll go for the standard 25th anniversary color, which looks to be some kind of metallic green/black blend.

r_mutt
03-14-2009, 06:48 AM
i am- ordered a desalvo 10A.

:)

martinrjensen
03-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm not buying. Not because I can't , I just don't know what to buy.
Single guy, 4 road bikes, don't know what else I would need. I have a rain bike, a Classic, a high-end Carbon, and a high-end Steel. I suppose one could argue for a Ti bike but I would have to try one out first. OK, ya got me thinking.