PDA

View Full Version : Going 'Wireless'??

97CSI
03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Have been using the Cateye Astrale 8 since the dawn of time. Or, at least since I bought three of them on closeout from Performance for $9, each about 8 years ago. All still singing along, happily doing what they do. However, been thinking of going wireless on the new plastic (carbon fiber composite) bike and am wondering what folks have been happy with? The small VDO w/cadence looks nice. Any good experience, suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

maunahaole
03-03-2009, 06:45 PM
I have a Sigma Sport. Looks nice on paper, but I would advise against it. The transmitter on the fork tends to move around a little bit. The transmission sometimes drops and then comes back on without much explanation. It might be other RF crosstalk, etc, but it is annoying. There does not seem to be any patten for how long the dropout lasts either.

malcolm
03-03-2009, 07:02 PM
I had a VDO with altimeter that I really liked, sold it to a forumite. The only negative I can recall is the speed was in .5 increments and when you are as slow as I am you need every tenth you can get. You may need to be careful with a new wireless computer you are moving up into that wealthy/flashy catagorie and who knows what may come next.

TMB
03-03-2009, 07:50 PM
I use a GArmin 305 that I throw in my back pocket.

All the info is there, I look at it when I get home.

97CSI
03-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I look at it when I get home.Yeah......I'm one of those anal riders who goes slow, but must know how slow. And, I like to do about 90rpm on cadence and find that without a cadence readout I slowly run down to 75, or so. Guess I can read numbers better than I can pedal.

dekindy
03-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I have the same dilemma. I am tired of wires but my Astrale 8 works flawlessly and I am still leery of the reliability of wireless. I am considering a Garmin 305 with HR so the only thing attached to the bike will be on the stem. I need to monitor cadence also because I have the same problem.

It had not occurred to me that I could put the Garmin in my pocket (toomanybikes).

maunahaole - What model Sigma Sport did you have, an older one? I have had my eye on the new Sigma Sport Rox models and the initial reviews have been very good.

If you are considering Blackburn the newest Neuro models are good. A couple of my riding buddies use them and would purchase them again. They have had some difficulty with unit staying attached to the mount. The only feature that I don't like is that the HR unit does not automatically reacquire. That is not an issue if you get on the bike for a training ride and do not get off until you are done. On a weekend ride or long distance ride where you get off the bike it is a hassle.

The new Cateye is good but has no download capability like the Blackburn, Sigma Sport, and Garmin. If you use a simple spreadsheet program then they work well and are less expensive.

Just be sure you get a 2.4 GHz models to minimize interference and dropouts.

Johnnyg
03-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Have been using the Cateye Astrale 8 since the dawn of time. Or, at least since I bought three of them on closeout from Performance for $9, each about 8 years ago. All still singing along, happily doing what they do. However, been thinking of going wireless on the new plastic (carbon fiber composite) bike and am wondering what folks have been happy with? The small VDO w/cadence looks nice. Any good experience, suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Hello, I have been using the VDO Z1 for eight months and feel it's the best computer I have ever used. Just one guys experience. good luck. JohnnyG

CaptStash
03-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I have two completely different wireless computers, a Polar CS200 and a Shimano Flight Deck.

The Polar shows cadence, speed (and distance, time and etc.) as well as heart rate. It has worked flawlessly since my wife gave it to me, and can be moved from bike to bike if you purchase additional harnesses. It's great so long as you don't require all the bells and whistles that come with a GPS. I particularly like being able to see cadence, speed and distance all on one screen.

The Flight Deck is of course useful on Shimano only 9 speed and above. It is a pain the a** to install, and cadence is "virtual" since it relies on converting speed to cadence based on the gear you are in. It is great fun to be able to see which chainring and cog you are using, but imho hardly worth the big bucks these things cost. Mine came with the group I purchased off of Flea-Bay so it was kinda' sorta' free (that's my excuse and I am sticking to it).

CaptStash....

TMB
03-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I have the same dilemma. I am tired of wires but my Astrale 8 works flawlessly and I am still leery of the reliability of wireless. I am considering a Garmin 305 with HR so the only thing attached to the bike will be on the stem. I need to monitor cadence also because I have the same problem.

It had not occurred to me that I could put the Garmin in my pocket (toomanybikes).

maunahaole - What model Sigma Sport did you have, an older one? I have had my eye on the new Sigma Sport Rox models and the initial reviews have been very good.

If you are considering Blackburn the newest Neuro models are good. A couple of my riding buddies use them and would purchase them again. They have had some difficulty with unit staying attached to the mount. The only feature that I don't like is that the HR unit does not automatically reacquire. That is not an issue if you get on the bike for a training ride and do not get off until you are done. On a weekend ride or long distance ride where you get off the bike it is a hassle.

The new Cateye is good but has no download capability like the Blackburn, Sigma Sport, and Garmin. If you use a simple spreadsheet program then they work well and are less expensive.

Just be sure you get a 2.4 GHz models to minimize interference and dropouts.

You guys do know that there is a wireless cadence sensor for GArmin??

I have a couple of bikes where I carry the GArmin in a mount on the stem, mostly I just throw it in my pocket. Best thing? 1 Computer for all the bikes and they all download to the same application.

Great system, wish I'd gone to it sooner.

KeithS
03-03-2009, 08:29 PM
On my 2nd one. Nine speed wasn't compatible with 10 speed (7800). Wireless transmitter on front fork, hands on bars mode change. Has what I need, cadence, speed, distance, display large enough so I can read without cheaters. Also something I never thought I'd get addicted to. Like gear position indicator, and heads up - hands on bars mode change (hence Flight Deck). Newest version has HR monitor and altimeter. Gonna have to wait for that one until I buy someting with 7900.

I have the "falls asleep" occasionlly feature too. Was told it was not an unknown problem.

Don't have one but the new Cateye wireless stuff looks really cool too. V3 in particular with HR. Probably leaning toward that vs another Flight Deck.

bagochips3
03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I have two completely different wireless computers, a Polar CS200 and a Shimano Flight Deck.

The Polar shows cadence, speed (and distance, time and etc.) as well as heart rate. It has worked flawlessly since my wife gave it to me, and can be moved from bike to bike if you purchase additional harnesses. It's great so long as you don't require all the bells and whistles that come with a GPS. I particularly like being able to see cadence, speed and distance all on one screen.

CaptStash....

+1. I really like having heart rate and cadence (especially when riding along to Coach Troy on the trainer). My only gripe with the Polar is that there is a lag between what your speed/cadence is and what the computer shows. Not a big deal, but noticeable.

Blue Jays
03-03-2009, 08:34 PM
The notion of keeping the bikes clean & uncluttered by maintaining a device like the Garmin 305/705 in a jersey pocket is very appealing. It's a purchase I'm considering very soon.
The only time I ever really look is when teammates ask to "hold steady" at a certain m.p.h. pace. That's when it's convenient to have the data there.

TMB
03-03-2009, 08:40 PM
The notion of keeping the bikes clean & uncluttered by maintaining a device like the Garmin 305/705 in a jersey pocket is very appealing. It's a purchase I'm considering very soon.
The only time I ever really look is when teammates ask to "hold steady" at a certain m.p.h. pace. That's when it's convenient to have the data there.

I will reach around sometimes and look it to see how far we've gone, how much climbing, etc.

Then just throw it back in the pocket. I really like it. And if it's not on the bars, you don't need the fancy colour screen of the 705 so you can save some shekels that way.

paulrad9
03-03-2009, 08:44 PM
The notion of keeping the bikes clean & uncluttered by maintaining a device like the Garmin 305/705 in a jersey pocket is very appealing.

You can do the same with a Suunto (with Ant) or Polar (with Wind) watch. That way nothing is on your bars, but speed, heart, etc. is displayed on the watch and can be downloaded later

maunahaole
03-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I have a 1606 dts+cadence. The rox is a new model, it looks as though they are into a newer generation on the transmitter, which might help with the signal issues.

I'm still not completely sold on the rubber band mount on the fork. It may be because of the shape on my fork with the shape of the transmitter - there is just a small sweetspot where it will stay in place (sort of) and still read the magnet as it sweeps by. If you can, see if you can get one out of the package and test fit it first.

The cadence mount to the chainstay is better. It holds a lot tighter, for one. IN addition, I got a magnet from the craft store that fits right on the pedal spindle and flush with the inside surface of the crankarm. Very clean install and no messing with zipties on the crankarm, etc. YMMV on this part, I got lucky with my setup.

Blue Jays
03-03-2009, 08:47 PM
toomanybikes, excellent points...especially since streetmaps aren't crucial since I know where I'm going for the vast majority of training rides.
And because it's weatherproof, a little sweat won't kill it, and it doesn't have to be in a plastic ziploc like a cellular telephone.
I'm totally sold on the cyclocomputer-in-pocket concept! :beer:

TMB
03-03-2009, 08:50 PM
why bother...........................

paulrad9
03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
toomany, I think you are stretching the truth a bit. No device is useless without the desktop software - you can still use any device, but you just won't be able to download to PC

As for Garmin's desktop software, it's really designed to log rides - where you've been and the distance, with the option to upload the ride to motionbased so you can show your friends what you did over the weekend. It also logs energy consumed and elevation, but both are far from accurate.

Polar does a better job at post ride analysis, with reports based upon HR, time, speed, distance, etc. Here you can view trends and progress which have far more value for those who are more focused on improving their performance. It's also better configured to create workouts, such as interval sessions.

To get the Garmin more usable for post ride analysis, you could get SportTracks, but that's Windows only, which puts you back to square one.

All that said, I have a Garmin, a Suunto and a Polar and each has its place. I see the Garmin as a mapping device masquerading as a training device and Training Center confirms this. When I tour or ride to new areas, I take the Garmin ; I have not used a paper cue sheet since I bought it. When I train, I find the Polar to the better option for my needs.
As for the Sunnto, my wife claimed it :)

Cheers,

Paul

TMB
03-03-2009, 10:19 PM
toomany, I think you are stretching the truth a bit. No device is useless without the desktop software - you can still use any device, but you just won't be able to download to PC

I can't begin to tell you how much I take offence to that statement.

Where I grew up "stretching the truth" meant lying. Deliberately telling a falsehood.

Intending to deceive.

Etc.

That is VERY offensive.

Thank you very much for painting me with a broad and unflattering brush.

jlwdm
03-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I am a little confused by the post by toomanybikes on the first page of this thread.

He wants to save a few shekels on a computer? He must have 20 beautiful bikes, bought a show bike before NAHBS and has been talking about buying another bike after seeing the pictures at NAHBS.

If I saved a little more money on computers and other bicycle accessories could I have 20 beautiful bikes too?

Jeff

Jeff N.
03-03-2009, 10:24 PM
I've been extremely happy with my Topeak Panoram V-12 Wireless Computers. I use the Shimano Flitedeck mount (I like 'em better than what comes with the Topeak) and they work out great. It's a basic computer, which is all I really care about. I don't care about altimeters, downloadable features, cadence, heart monitors, badda-beep, badda-bap, badda-boop. Jeff N.

paulrad9
03-03-2009, 10:25 PM
I can't begin to tell you how much I take offence to that statement.

Sorry you took offense, it was not intentional

97CSI
03-04-2009, 07:16 AM
I am a little confused by the post by toomanybikes on the first page of this thread.

He wants to save a few shekels on a computer? He must have 20 beautiful bikes, bought a show bike before NAHBS and has been talking about buying another bike after seeing the pictures at NAHBS.

If I saved a little more money on computers and other bicycle accessories could I have 20 beautiful bikes too?

JeffWhat does this have to with cyclocomputers. Kindly stick to the topic I ask about. If you have issues with someone, take it off line.