PDA

View Full Version : Which saddle for big guys???

SoCalSteve
12-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Hi to all you big and tall guys out there,

I am 6' 4" and weigh approx 250 lbs. I am looking for the perfect saddle. I have been using a Selle San Marco Era for the last few years, but as my cycling distances and hill climbing distances grow, I find that the saddle is not so great after 50 miles or a few mile climb.

Any recommendations??? Opinions??? Thoughts???

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

dave thompson
12-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Brooks B-17 and B-17 Champion Special suit my 205# butt for my century rides.

Too Tall
12-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Arrione :) Wide and looong. I ride mucho miles too and ability to scootch forward and back is something I value...this saddle has generous real estate.

Dr. Doofus
12-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Dear Saddle-Shifting:

Your correspondent is also moving about on your Doofus' saddle. Since 1995, a Flite has been used. However, said Flite is not comfortable after two or three hours -- what is odd is that this fact has just been noticed by your narrator. Perhaps your bunumbed-bum-ed one shall go back to a Turbo...those were comfy....

Your Chafed Servant,

Dr. D. Doofus, Esq.

Big Dan
12-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Steve, wow the Era is a very narrow saddle. I'm sure you can find a bunch of saddles that will support your weight better.

San Marco Rolls or Regal
Selle Italia Turbomatic
Any Brooks

I'm sure other "big guys" have other saddles they like...good luck.. :bike:

zap
12-09-2004, 12:40 PM
fizik aliante w/ti rails.

arione is nice too but i found it to be unnecessarily long. if you scoot around on your saddle a lot, then the arione will work well. if not, give the aliante a try.

with todays shorts, i believe saddle shape and the amount of give in the shell are more important than the foam padding.

victoryfactory
12-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Steve;

No saddle is too comfy after 50-60 miles for me, but my favorite
is the Terry Men's Fly

VF, who sits on his brains...

dirtdigger88
12-09-2004, 12:47 PM
I have used flites for years- lots of them. Last weekend I tried an arione for the first time. I ordered one two days later. However, I would disagree with TT- I would not call them wide.

Jason

William
12-09-2004, 01:00 PM
I have been using the Flite for many a year and have had no major problems. Long or short rides. I had been riding a Flite with the perforated leather and just recently bought another one with the full leather. They must have increased the amount of padding because I felt like I was sitting on a couch cushion until I got used to it. I've got you by about 5-10 pounds so if you can live with the shape, it'll hold up just fine.

William :)

Sandy
12-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Interestingly, the Avocet 02 Air 40R saddle has been remarkably comfortable for me. There is the Avocet O2 Air 40M model that is wider in the back, and I have thought many times about buying one, since I would think that it would accommodate my sit bones better, but I have hesitated to do such, since I have found the R model to be so comfortable. I do find that the newer Avocet saddles do not have as much support in the center as the previous Avocet saddles, but for me, they work just fine.

My weight has varied from 200-225.

Saddle Sandy

Bradford
12-09-2004, 01:10 PM
I run between 200 and 215. I've found the Prolink Gel Flow to be very comfortable, but it is a bit heavy in the 300 gram range.

I also have many miles on Brooks, and they work well, but they are heavy and you have to keep them dry or bad things happen.

I'm really interested in an Aliante, and may be buying one in the next few months to put on my new ride. I'd love to here from some heavy weights who have Aliantes. Are they just as good for the big boys?

dirtdigger88
12-09-2004, 01:11 PM
William,

I never thought I had problems with my Flites either. Last Saturday I rode about 30 miles before I went to Big Shark. Cannondale had their demo fleet there- so I took out a Six13 with an Arione. I did not like the bike- or should I say it rode like a Cannondale- but once I got back on my Legend I realized how much more comfortable the Arione was than my Flite. I got back on the Cannondale to double check- then back on my Legend. I then rode about another 15 miles on my Legend. I FELT my Flite saddle where the Arione seemed to disappear under me. Like I said I ordered one- it should be in- in about 1 week

Jason

drunkenfool
12-09-2004, 01:20 PM
try a Selle Italia Turbo 4 (quatro) great saddle for long rides and larger people

William
12-09-2004, 01:22 PM
I'll keep that in mind. I have resisted trying out other saddles just because I had gone through quite a few until I found the Flite. I've stuck with it since the mid 90's. Nothing else ever felt right or down right hurt after a number of miles (usually no more than ten). But if a fellow Flite lover has switched to the Arione, I'd be willing to give it a shot when I need another saddle, or if I can arrange to try one out.
Let us/me know how you like it after logging in a few hundred miles. :)

William

sevencyclist
12-09-2004, 02:12 PM
I personally am riding a Brooks Swift and it is definitely more comfortable than WTB Rocket Stealth that I had. Since Brooks are comfortable, I have not searched for others. However, I looked up Arione based on discussion above and found this interesting posting.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/arione.shtml

I guess Arione is behaving somewhat like the Brooks.

Kevan
12-09-2004, 02:39 PM
how's that for consensus? You back to staring at the catalog of saddles going, "Eenie.. meanie.. minie.. moe..."?

When you've figured it out for yourself, let us know. This is one of those little passages in life where you yourself have to find your own path.

Good luck, gwasshoppa.

OldDog
12-09-2004, 02:45 PM
I guess I fall into this robust group :D I have San Marco Regals on three riders and one poser (a 1980 restoration that has yet to see more then 20 miles, yet). Been riding those saddles since the early 90's and they work well for my buttress.

Tried a Flight and an Avocet 02, both were torture after 10 miles. Have a Brooks B-17, vintage '74, on an old Paramount that's been hanging since about '90. That was a great saddle. Today I am happy with the Regal, at a few hundred gram weight savings. Silly I guess, for a fat guy like me. :beer:

Thing is with saddles, ya gotta ride 'em to find one ya like.

Ahneida Ride
12-09-2004, 02:54 PM
So Cal.
We be the same Size. Try a Brooks B67 and never look back.
Springs are real stiff !!!! no problem there.

www.wallbike.com has a $$$$ back return policy. You can't loose !!!!
Don't like it ??? Send it back !!!!

You may require a set back post, I did. But oh Relief at last . Priceless !

Uncle William,

You missed your Chance !!! ;) :) :p :p :p :p

Can't belive big guys ride with their posteroirs melting off the seat!
Be nice and Santa just might give ya another demo.

William
12-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Uncle William,

You missed your Chance !!!

(Teeth clenched)

WHY :crap:

DO

YOU :crap:

HAVE

TO :crap:

KEEP

RUBBING :crap:

IT

IN!!! :crap:

William ;) :)

Dekonick
12-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Brooks...

I switched to a B-17 on Smiley's advice - now have 2-3k miles on that saddle. All I can say is - COMFY. Looking to save weight? Go elsewhere... looking for a happy rear? Brooks baby.... :D

Ahneida Ride
12-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Yea, The Brooks weights more then the frame !!
But without Mr. Brooks, I'd have to donate my bike to Uncle William.
I can't understand why more people just don't give Brooks a Chance.
Well I guess I can. Few LBS's promote them.

Thanks, Smiley, Big Mac, Dbrk !!!!

BillyBear
12-10-2004, 01:20 AM
B-17 on the Rivendell...Swift on the CSI...just changed to Selcof 68X bi-position seatpost on CSI to increase setback

Combined with my Assos bibs I have one very happy butt!

Oh BTW the scale says 220lbs :banana: :banana: :banana:

PS bananas are for the brooks, not the 220

slowgoing
12-10-2004, 01:57 AM
I'm not so sure that weight makes that much of a difference in comfort. Weight may impact durability of something like the Aliante with carbon rails, but comfort is probably more the result of a number of other factors, including your lower geometry. IMO, there's no substitute for trying a wide variety of saddles. Like many others, though, I find that nothing else is as comfortable as an Aliante.

sevencyclist
12-10-2004, 04:09 AM
B-17 on the Rivendell...Swift on the CSI...just changed to Selcof 68X bi-position seatpost on CSI to increase setback

Hi Billy Bear,

I was wondering how much difference were there between the swift and B17. I have the swift, and it has been great except still slight pressure anteriorly on long mountain climb on mountain bike. I am wondering whether B17 would feel better since it is wider.

Of all the seats I have tried, Swift has been the best so far, but just wondering whether it can get even better with B17. Thanks.

Larry
12-10-2004, 06:34 AM
The Aliante has been very comfortable for me at 240 pounds.
It is light, and I am not sure how long this saddle will last, but it is remarkably comfortable........ better for me than the San Marco Gold or
Avocet O2.

Larry

quattro
12-10-2004, 06:42 AM
Sandy, I ride the Avocet o2 40M and love it. In the past year I have tried the Aliente, Pro Link Gel, Vitesse and a Fly, and keep coming back to the 40M. While I am not wide bottomed my sit bones apparently are so the width of the 40M suites my needs perfectly. I just ordered one in leather with Ti rails to have a spare. The never version of the 40M is very uncomfortable, however, I contacted Avocet and they agreed to swap me for the older model which is still being made. I would suggest going directly to the Avocet site and ordering from them. They also offer a money back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied, can't go wrong with that!

Too Tall
12-10-2004, 07:03 AM
That is an excellent review.

One thing puzzled me: "Additionally, Ironman veteran Jim Van Valkenburg, a gifted profession musician with the DSO and with artists such as Stevie Wonder, was one of our first customers to use the Arione."

Wow, a saddle so good it can make a blind man see.

ltr

BillyBear
12-10-2004, 10:09 PM
B-17 is wider and a little more comfortable...perfect for mtn bike

Smiley
12-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Hey Big guy Sir William , give a B17 N a try , you can buy with a 6 month money back warranty from Wall Bike ( call Billy Laine there at bill@wallbike.com ) and if you like this saddle and want to lose some weight then PONY up the cash and buy the SWALLOW , I think Len J is now riding this saddle and bought it overseas for a cheaper fare . Its all about sit bone placement on the saddle and because Brooks saddles are wider then the standard fare they pick up your sit bones earlier and hence move your KOPS forward needing a more off set seat post .

If you go BROOKS there's a chance you'll never come back. Mrs William may thank me for giving you this sage advice ...if you know what I mean :banana:

Ahneida Ride
12-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Hey Uncle William,

Listen to the Capt. But don't let him adjust the tension screw.
I like my saddle to flex. :D

William
12-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Thank you for the advice on the B17/Swallow. With a $$$ back gar-on-tee, I'd be willing to give it a go. :)

If you go BROOKS there's a chance you'll never come back. Mrs William may thank me for giving you this sage advice ...if you know what I mean

While I appreciate your wise advice, and I will likely give it a try, Mrs William knows...
my Banana is still dancing....see---> :banana:

;)

William :D

Smiley
12-11-2004, 11:11 AM
Don't forget big fellow the NARROW at 155 mm NOT the standard wide at 177 mm . That way you stay dancing :banana:

Ken Robb
12-11-2004, 11:18 AM
my new/old Legend came with an Arione. To a guy with 6 Brooks Saddles it looked way too skinny to be comfortable. I was very wrong. This is the most comfortable lightweight I have ever tried. I haven't ridden it yet in khakis and boxer shorts as I sometimes do my B-17 but with bike shorts it's as comfy and that is saying a lot. I'm about 200 lbs.

Ahneida Ride
12-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Smiley,

Why do you wanna put the Big Galooth on a narrow?
The whole idea is to place the Sitius Boneous on the saddle, Correct ?
I don't get the logic ? Would not a B67 be more approipate ?
We don't want to offer Uncle William poor advise. Uncle William
makes me look tiny.

I need my sit bones on the saddle and my posterior is not that large.

Not too Bright Ahneida.

Jeff N.
12-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Drunkenfool is right on. The Selle Italia Turbomatic IV is the best choice out there, IMO. Jeff N.

Smiley
12-11-2004, 04:59 PM
According to Bill Laine and tested this theory on myself the wider saddle 177mm works best for a set up where there is not that much drop between the saddle and the bars , where as the narrow saddle 155 mm works best with larger drops . I use the B17 on my tandem with a even level and the narrow version everywhere else. Trust me Ride Man at 155 mm width William's butt will be cushioned like its seated in a Volvo car seat .