PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Colnago C50 Question

jonjones13
03-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi,
I have just bought a 2005 C50 from Italy over the net and it has arrived without a front mech braze-on mount - is this normal ?

I was under the impression that all Colnagos were braze on.

Can anyone out there with a '05 C50 let me know what they've got?

Thanks in advance.
Jon

MarinRider
03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
I have had 7 colnagos over the years from c40, 06 c50, Master XL, EP, etc. All of them has a braze on for FD.

jonjones13
03-03-2009, 12:04 PM
it's so weird, Colnago have offered to do it in their factory (for a price of course) but so odd.......

KJMUNC
03-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I have an '05 and it has a hanger. Sounds a bit sketchy. Does it appear anything was ever there? Does the top tube have the Master tube profile?

jonjones13
03-04-2009, 05:18 AM
I have had word back from Colnago in Italy that C50's at this time could have the derailleir hanger as an option - well I didn't know that !

I am checking with them that I am therefore to assume I can use a band-on front mech.

If, by master profile you mean the top tube is diamond(ish) in profile, then yes.

Cheers,
Jon

Polyglot
03-04-2009, 06:53 AM
No C-50 that was imported to the US in 2005 was ever imported without FD hanger and Colnago did not offer that as an option to the US distributor. To me it sounds like it was either a mistake or one of the frames made for the then newly available compact cranks that didn't work well with the rivetted FD mount. Since Colnago quickly came up with a design that worked with the compact cranks, it seems odd that a frame would be made on spec without the mount. So my gut feeling is that it was an error and that explains why the frame was still available 4 years later...

jonjones13
03-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Colnago (Italia) say that a small number of frames were sold around that time with the option of not having a front mech mount on. God only knows why someone would choose to not have one, but that's what they say.

I can only assume it would have been intended for someone to use with a single chainring and normal cassette.

Anyway, frame now on it's way back to Colnago in Italy to have front mech mount added at factory (at a cost of 100 Euros, but that does include shipping both ways from the UK)

Jon.

johnnymossville
03-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Nice to see they are taking care of it. that price doesn't sound so bad when you factor in shipping/etc,...

Polyglot
03-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Colnago (Italia) say that a small number of frames were sold around that time with the option of not having a front mech mount on. God only knows why someone would choose to not have one, but that's what they say.

I can only assume it would have been intended for someone to use with a single chainring and normal cassette.

Anyway, frame now on it's way back to Colnago in Italy to have front mech mount added at factory (at a cost of 100 Euros, but that does include shipping both ways from the UK)

Jon.

It sounds almost certainly like one of the frames made for the first compact cranks. It seems odd that such a frame would have been ordered as a stock frame. More than likely it was a case of a customer ordering, getting tired of waiting and then cancelling before the frame arrived and after it was possible for the shop to cancel the order to Colnago. The 100 euros while not cheap, does seem to be reasonable.

jonjones13
03-10-2009, 04:07 AM
yeah, I know, I can stomach the 100 euros, was still a fab deal on a new C50 frame... Can't wait to get it built up and out on the road !